• 3415 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 11853 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Chicken Rebalance Thread

Discussion in 'Super Smash Mobs' started by Wefe, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Here we can share every thought we have about the Chicken and its current state. This kit is one of the most controversial currently, it's considered annoying by the wide majority of players and even OP by the less experienced crowd, but nonetheless it's pretty obvious it needs a fix.

I'll share my own thoughts and give a possible way to rebalance this little bird of ours.

New and Improved Chicken:

Damage:
    Knockback taken: 200%
    Armor: 2
    Health Regeneration: 0.25

Abilities

Egg Blaster:
    Cooldown increased from 2.5 seconds to 4 seconds | Individual egg damage increased | Travel speed increased | Egg arc removed

The current ability serves as an edge guard as well as a good tool to immobilize running enemies and land critical damage during a fight with ease. This ability though is unreliable as the travel time is incredibly slow and is affected by an arc. My idea would be to increase the travel speed but reduce the number of eggs to make the "Blaster" feel more like a gun than a laser beam. In my vision, this Egg Blaster will have no arc and will travel infinitely until it hits an enemy/block or despawns. The damage will naturally have to be increased to make up for the reduced amount of projectiles shot. This new version of Egg Blaster will retain the momentum canceling properties as the previous alongside new damage values and more reliability.

Chicken Missile: Base cooldown increased from 7 to 8 and Cooldown on direct hit increased from 0 to 1 | Travel speed increased | Damage increased | Hitbox size reduced

As of now, Chicken Missile is the only heavy damage tool Chicken possesses. The current version is slow and only works reliably at close range where the Chicken is exposed to enemy attacks the most (its most glaring weakness is damage mitigation and the close range style doesn't help with that). This new Chicken Missile takes the best parts of Chicken Missile (high damage and instant cooldown on direct hit) and improves on that, while making it less annoying and unfair. The reduced hitbox will make it feel much more fair to be hit by (currently the chicken can hit the corner of your screen and still register as a direct hit on you, it sucks), but the increased travel speed will make up for it, giving it a boost in reliability and rewarding skilled predictions (the current predictions are still skilled but they are too unreliable).

Flap Passive: Number of maximum jumps per bar reduced to 4 | Double jump style changed to Direct | Flap distance increased

The current Flap is too slow and predictable, it's still a great mobility tool but it lacks speed when it comes to chasing, leaving you vulnerable to every mob in the game who can double jump and reach you faster. This new Flap will be much better at this, fitting the new Chicken Missile "sniper-like" capabilities as well as the new fast assassin playstyle.

Overall, the Chicken would still be a glass cannon, but it will definitely be considered less annoying and frustrating to play against and hopefully a little stronger against other mobs that dominate the Tier lists.

Share your thoughts below as well as your own ideas.

Posted Aug 25, 2019
    Yato likes this.
  2. I agree with most all of these suggestions but I think the egg launcher should stay the same as it is because it is supposed to be a quick charging attack that hardly does any damage. If we change the chicken to having high cooldowns on all of the abilities, then the playstyle of it will be changed too drastically and I think the chicken will become way less viable of a kit too pick effectively nerfing it too hard. I think the egg launcher is fine as it is now, but I do like your changes to the Flap and Chicken Missile.

Posted Aug 25, 2019
    Apollo317 likes this.
  3. I can see where your getting at with chicken, but there also many more annoying kits, some are even worse than chicken. I think we should be focusing more on balancing all the kits, as some players including myself don't see chicken as that annoying.

Posted Aug 25, 2019
    Apollo317 likes this.
  4. So an egg that has no charge-time, quick travel speed, infinite range, and high damage. You're giving Chicken an OP version of Sir Sheep's Lazer Beam, that's a big fat NO from me.

It must be slow and work reliably at close range, otherwise Chickens would camp on tall spots all the time. I strongly disagree with this buff.

The Chicken kit can already flap from the top of Hyrule's castle across the lava pit and land on the tree below, and flap back to the top repetitively; that was one of the most longest stall in a match I've ever played. Besides, if you reduce the number of jumps but increase the flap distance, the increased distance would compensate for the reduced jumps, literally no change in total distance traveled. Besides, we already have two sniper kits (Zombie & Sheep) and two assassin kits (Wolf & Spider). Also, double jump style shouldn't change to direct, real Chickens don't flap like that at all. Sure, Chicken lacks speed, but it's ridiculously small hitbox makes up for it all the time.

I think the Chicken is extremely balanced right now, even GreatMCGamer uses it.

Posted Aug 26, 2019
    Apollo317 likes this.
  5. I'm not sure what you mean with "no charge-time" on the Egg Blaster, I said the cooldown has even been upped to 4 seconds instead of 2.5. Also, Sir Sheep's Static Laser is hitscan, while this new version of Egg Blaster has, yes a faster travel speed, but isn't instant, it can be dodged easily from a distance. To conclude, this revamped ability will be much better at its job (hitting people reliably and immobilizing them), if this had to be added it would be used as a tracking weapon, requiring precise mouse movement and prediction as well as some leading, it definitely won't be as OP as you are claiming considering there's even a lesser number of eggs.

I don't think you understood what I meant with "faster travel speed". Since I'm not a dev I don't have the data and values that represent the speed and damage of each ability, all I can say is "faster, shorter, increased, decreased, longer" etc. With this out of the way, I'm going to clarify the actual speed of Chicken Missile. Right now, it's a very slow ability, probably the slowest projectile in the game. The new speed should probably be around double the speed, maybe a little less than double. It's not going to be spammed from Hyrule's tower, it's still difficult to hit people from that distance. Now, you said "disagree with this buff" and to be clear: it's not a buff. It's a rebalance/tweak. See how I increased the missile's base cooldown and the cooldown on direct hit? Chicken Missile is no longer spammable on exploding Creepers and if for some reason you miss it you have to wait 8 seconds! I even decreased the size of its hitbox, it's going to be an actually tough projectile to hit.

Now this is a lot to unpack about Flap. I will correct you on a few things: I intentionally kept the total distance, because I just wanted to change the style of flight while still buffing it and allowing the Chicken to compete with literally everyone else. Chicken is a garbage mob, it dies in the matter of seconds to every melee class with decent aim and a few working neurons. "Real Chickens don't flap like that at all" for the matter, real chickens don't flap, period. They can glide and jump short distances, but they surely can't fly on towers and trees. It's just a videogame.

To conclude I want to add one last thing. A new Chicken can include one of these ability revamps or all of them, or none! This is just how I would rework each ability and make it more competitively viable. Current Chicken with new Flap would be strong, but even more annoying, that's why I changed Missile's cooldowns and properties to compensate for the mobility buffs.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Aug 26, 2019
  6. The egg blaster is one of the chickens main attacks. The chicken missile attack is almost the same as the new egg blaster attack but worse. Chicken missile has a good cool down time. I completely 100% disagree on lessening the flap. The chicken kit really needs to move because it has so little health. It’s flaps also don’t go as far as double jump so if there were 4 flaps it would only be like 2 double jumps.

Posted Aug 26, 2019
  7. Chicken kit is balanced the way it is in my opinion. I feel like the change to the missile you suggested would make it weaker as the main strength of the missile is the ability to spam it over and over again quickly. If you don’t wanna get spammed by it, don’t get right in the chickens face. It’s slow and easy to dodge if you aren’t right in front of the chicken. Chicken dies quickly to ranged abilities anyway with their low armor.

Posted Aug 26, 2019
    Yato likes this.
  8. Bruh sound effect #2

Posted Aug 26, 2019
    _JPXFRD_ likes this.
  9. Valuable insights

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Aug 26, 2019
    Cabob likes this.
  10. By "no-charge time", I mean that it doesn't charge the attack by holding the right click button for a few seconds to deal a long-range attack. Thinking back at it, this is basically Magma's Fireball just smaller :p

Yea I missed the increased base cooldown, my bad. In this case, I could agree to this tweak.

Well then, make then glide and jump short distances, exactly the way it is right now. Chicken is a garbage mob and it should stay that way. Don't blame it on just melee classes with decent aim, aim takes time to master. Blame it also on Chicken mains who wouldn't spend years mastering the kit's ability to dodge. Even with a decent aim and a few working neurons, I couldn't hit @Emperor_Loungfei when he's playing Chicken.

I'm curious whether tweaks suggested here actually gets implemented or if there's another platform for it. Still, I think the current Chicken is very balanced and rightfully deserves its current spot in the tier matchup list.

Posted Aug 27, 2019