• 1059 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9497 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Chatsnaps

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Knazamn, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Heyo!

A lot of times, when I am taking a chatsnap, it asks me to remove one in order to put one in. I don't really get that idea, as it makes it a bit hard in case if I need a chatsnap that I removed. I think, make it where you have chatsnaps that will expire after a certain time.

How would this work?
    They would expire after X amount of time.

Why do we need this?
    So we can get chatsnaps if we need it for something, without removing it. After it expires, you can't recover it.

Thank you!
    -Knazamn

Posted Aug 21, 2019,
    Last edited Aug 24, 2019
    rexh17, andrewtam6 and UwUBladings like this.
  2. I like the idea of this, but maybe we need to approach it differently like chatsnaps expiring/deleting themselves after X amount of time.

Posted Aug 21, 2019
    UwUBladings likes this.
  3. I defienetly agree with this idea.

Posted Aug 21, 2019
  4. I +1 this. It is sometimes very hard when you're trying to chat snap and you have to delete a previous one to make another one.

Posted Aug 21, 2019
  5. This is a good idea because it is practical and it saves time. This is time-saving because, without it, you would have to manually delete it, and that can lead to some people getting away with chat offenses that they should not be getting away with. This is practical because it makes it way easier to report people who are breaking the chat rules. It does this by getting rid of the frustrating process of deleting old snaps to create new ones by typing a simple command. This would eliminate some problems by getting rid of more and more rule-breakers. Overall, it's a good idea.

Posted Aug 21, 2019
  6. Yes! I've recently started making a lot of player reports with chatsnaps and it's already hard to capture the msges I want to include in it, if I need to take the time to delete one I might miss the chance to snap what needs to be snapped.

Posted Aug 21, 2019
  7. Heyoo!

You have to keep in mind that Mineplex is storing each and every single chatsnap file. Depending on its size, it could be anything from a couple messages to more than 70. Having said that, I think this isn’t a great idea as Mineplex would have to invest in upgrading its cloud storage just so that players get to keep all the chatsnaps they make. Mineplex would rather invest in project that would benefit the whole player-base rather than a small portion of only HERO+.

To avoid getting the maximum amount of chatsnaps, I would suggest you immediately report the player right after you take the chatsnap and delete it right after the report has been responded to (either accepted or denied).

Posted Aug 22, 2019
  8. I like this, however, a con is that people could spam it. Even if it deletes itself it still needs to be stored. This could easily cause to make mineplex lag if people misuse it.
    I think having 2-3 chatsnaps might solve this problem. It is still a limit, but it'll allow you to have at least 2 chatsnaps open.

+0 I think it'd be convenient, but there is a bug that could have serious consequences.

Have a good evening,

Posted Aug 22, 2019
  9. Personally, I thought this was how the original system was going to run because it seems like it would be the most efficient. I do understand that we don't want an overload in memory storage by allowing players to create endless chatsnaps, but the best solution, in my opinion, would be to have an unlimited amount available and have them automatically delete after a certain amount of time. I believe you can currently have 5 chatsnaps at a time, so maybe even making the system automatically delete the oldest one as you create a new one. I agree that it's kind of silly the way the current system makes you delete them manually.

Posted Aug 24, 2019
    4G0 likes this.
  10. Hey buddy!

I can agree that this is quite frustrating and an inconvenience when you quickly want to use the chatsnap command but it asks you to manually delete another because there isn't enough room. This is especially inconvenient when you want to keep your current chatsnaps and don't want to delete them. I can see why they haven't made an unlimited amount of chatsnaps an option, because spam and storage issues would occur. I think that an alternative could be adding an expiry time to them that way they delete themselves after a while and free up some storage.

Posted Aug 24, 2019
  11. Oh dang it!
    I made a mistake upon editing my thread, so for all of you that said it is Infinite, I mean't to put 'will expire after a certain time' and forgot to remove infinite. So sorry!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Aug 24, 2019
  12. Hello,
    I think it makes sense that the oldest chatsnap would delete when you make a new one. Having to manually delete them is only discouraging players from using the feature. I think it would benefit everyone if the oldest one gets deleted or if they expire after a certain time as suggested. Overall, I do not see many downsides to this, as you do not really need an old chatsnap after you have created 4 more. Thanks for suggesting this, it's a +1 from me! Have a nice day!

Posted Aug 30, 2019