• 452 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 3031 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Changing The Wait Time After Changing Username

Discussion in 'Website Feedback' started by ScarletBlood37, Nov 19, 2019.

?

Should this idea be implemented?

1. Yes! I really want this to be implemented!

31.6%
  2. EEW NO THIS SUCKS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, it’s not necessary

52.6%
  4. Change to longer time wait (2-3 weeks)

15.8%
  1. On the forums, there is a “rule” where you can change your username every 30 days. However, I believe that 30 days is way too long. People constantly want to change their username and whenever you do, you have to wait another 30 days to change it to something you want it to be. For example, what if you changed your username and then came up with an idea that you wanted to be your new username? You’d have to wait another month to change your username.

Moreover, many people change their username based on a holiday that is coming up, like Christmas or Thanksgiving. Some of my friends did change their username based on the holiday (for example SpookVegetables and CupAGhost were two people that changed their name for Halloween).

I’m proposing to change the wait time from 1 month to a week. Most holiday celebrations only last from 1 day up to 2 weeks, and if you wanted to include some emojis in your username and they turned out to not be the one you wanted, you wouldn’t have to wait 1 whole month just to change it to a different emoji (personal experiences here lmao).

Personally, I don’t believe this is a necessary addition to the forums, nor should it be prioritized. There’s way more important things to be fixed than a small feature being changed. However I think this would be a nice addition to the forums. Please tell me what you think about this idea :)

Posted Nov 19, 2019
    Im_Ken, FluteVegetables and Steven190 like this.
  2. I’m on the fence about this, a name change every week would confuse people. Say I went from FluteVegetables to SpookVegetables to FruitVegetables to TacoVegetables every week. It would get confusing. Maybe every 2-3 weeks?
    Or maybe around Holliday season, shorten the name change period. I’m going to leave this at a +0.5

Posted Nov 19, 2019
  3. I'm going to have to disagree with reducing the time period between changing names, Minecraft also has a 30 day time period where you must wait between changing names and I believe that's for a good reason in my opinion. I'm not too much of a fan of constant name changes based on holidays or an event, I look at names as an identity to a person and if someone wants to change their name they can very well do so but the 30 day period is there to both avoid confusion as @FluteVegetables has stated and to also make sure this feature is not abused. I'm thinking this over and it seems like I'm not giving a good argument haha, but what I'm trying to say is that in general I simply don't like it when people are changing their names constantly, I would end up not knowing that person anymore in some cases. If they change their name every 30 days, at least we will be able to figure it out somewhat. In order to combat the issue with adding emojis to your name, maybe suggest a new feature where your name can have a special emoji selected from a pre-installed list and you can edit it whenever?

Ahh, ya it seems like my argument is pretty vague. It's not too much trouble if the time period of changing names is reduced but I would rather avoid confusion and potential abuse altogether! I decided to post the reply, as I wanted to have that suggestion of special emojis list being added to your name in the train of thoughts.

Posted Nov 19, 2019
  4. I personally disagree with this suggestion. Most players simply have their username as their Minecraft IGN, which you can only change every 30 days. To stay consistent, its also 30 days here, so it really does not make sense to have it be different. If we gave the option, I think that the forums would start to look pretty messy since people would be experimenting with different characters that they would put in their names. As for myself, if people were constantly changing their names, I would not really know who was who when scrolling in the forums.

Saying that 30 days is too long is not really valid in my opinion. Mojang makes people wait 30 days to change their names, and most people wait perfectly fine for that. Having people change their names for holidays is fine, but since most holidays are not even that close together, I think that the 30 days does not need to be changed.

Posted Nov 19, 2019
    Frqstbite likes this.
  5. I also have to disagree with shortening the cooldown for changing usernames. I personally like it being thirty days because it would be confusing and difficult to keep track of those who incessantly change their username over a short period of time. Additionally, having a cooldown of a month forces players to think very carefully in order to finalize their decision. A one week wait period would result in a rise of usernames that are not well thought out, such as troll/inappropriate usernames.

Furthermore, one month is enough time to allow players to use holiday-themed usernames. Halloween is in late October, Thanksgiving is in late November, and Christmas is in late December. Even though some of these holidays are apart by a little less than a month, one can strategically change their name about thirty days (give or take a few) before changing their username in order to fit all of the major holidays if they wanted to.

Finally, as jxcb said, Mojang requires players to wait thirty days after changing their username. The consistency we have on the website is logical and would allow players to change their in-game and forums username at the same time, and change them back simultaneously as well. Because of the benefits that keeping the current thirty days has over shorter lengths of time, a cooldown of one month would work better than any other time span.

Posted Nov 21, 2019
    Fallen likes this.
  6. Shorten the cooldown after changing your username isn't a good idea. Here's a reason why we give all forum users to have a cooldown for 30 days. We have to stay consistent with Mojang that requires change IGN after 30 days (1 month). It's to prevent them from changing their usernames numerous times. As jxcb stating above, the forums will look messy and couldn't recognize who they are known as. If someone changed their name after about 2 weeks, or so, how can I tell who they are?

Overall, I'm going have to disagree with altering the cooldown changes. -1

Posted Nov 21, 2019
    steluh likes this.
  7. I don't agree with this. The cooldown is in place for a good reason, which is to make sure players don't confuse others by changing their username too many times. The 30-day cooldown is best because it still allows you to frequently change your name, but still makes sure pick wisely as you're stuck with it for a month (at the minimum). @AceSJus has a good explanation of how it also works for players changing their name for the holiday season and being able to get their name back when the month is over.

-1 from me

Posted Nov 21, 2019
    AceSJus likes this.
  8. I don't see why not. Generally, each player is responsible for their name, profile aesthetic etc. If they want to be known differently on the forums than in-game, it is solely their choice. For the sake of neatness of the forums and avoiding possible confusion, I wouldn't get rid of the cooldown completely, but if it was reduced to a shorter length such as one week, it would allow greater freedom that I cannot see as something harmful.

With that said, while I'm personally neutral on the topic since my name is the same on all platforms, I can see this change benefiting some users.

Posted Nov 22, 2019
    saltyfishhy and Im_Ken like this.
  9. I honestly wouldn't mind this. I'm sure that most people just use their Minecraft username anyway, and if a person wants to change their username more frequently, I don't see a problem with that. However, as you stated, it would probably be much better to reduce the cool down to either a week or to 15 days. The forums won't really look messy and the cooldown suggested would help with that. Yes, the Minecraft username cooldown is 30 days as well, although the MC username is a lot more universal and widespread than just Mineplex's forums username. You may not recognise the person at first, though it really isn't that hard to find out who they are.

Though this isn't something that would make a huge difference or is a little unnecessary right now, but I definitely do agree with the idea.

Posted Nov 22, 2019
    saltyfishhy and Im_Ken like this.
  10. Hello!

I'm not necessarily for this, as I personally like to be consistent across all platforms for simplicity's sake, but I'm also not against it. I see no reason personally to put restrictions on how much one can change their username. Honestly, arguments like "It should stay at 30 days so people wont get confused" are somewhat rude. Users should be able to change their name to whatever they want, whenever they want. Saying that someone is not allowed to change their name too often because it would make other players confused seems a bit... ignorant? I don't intend to be rude, but it's a little offensive to tell someone that because a constant name change is confusing they're not allowed to change it often.

Honestly, I wouldn't personally use this, but I'm not against it.

+0.5

Posted Nov 22, 2019
    Im_Ken and Hiccuping like this.
  11. I definitely have to say that I don't see why we should remove this security feature.

Just like all other sites where usernames/account names exist, our website doesn't allow you to keep on changing your name purely due to the fact that it would cause lots of confusion between what is what and who is who, but it would also allow rule-breaking to easily occur. For example, you could make your name inappropriate for a short period of time and get away from the rule while still causing damage and allowing other players to see it.

Therefore, I feel like the reason why this rule was added in the first place is still a valid reason and should stay how it is purely due to what I said above! Thanks for the idea though.​

Posted Nov 22, 2019
  12. Meh. The original Minecraft username change function lasts 30 days and I would have to assume that this is what Mineplex gears towards when it created their name change system. I don't think implementing this would have any damage, but there isn't really a use for it. Seasonal usernames belong more on somewhere like Discord or I guess as a Minecraft username in some cases but on the forums? Nah. The biggest holiday season area, October, November and December, all have one big holiday per month (for me) and if I really wanted a seasonal thing I would change it on the first of every month. I guess lowering it down to maybe 3 weeks would be an addition I'd be in support of, but that's it. If it were decreased to something like every two days it would just get confusing for all users. The Mineplex forums seem to be geared more so towards your plain Minecraft username, and changing it to a naming system like discord is just unnecessary. -1.

Posted Nov 26, 2019
  13. I'm going to have to give a -1 for this idea. As Abood said, Minecraft itself has a 30 day cooldown on name changing, so I don't see why Mineplex should be any different. It would become extremely confusing as well because people can change their profile picture at will. With a mixture of these two aspects plus other misc. things, it could get confusing to recognize others on the forums. I think that the current system is perfectly fine with a wait time of 30 days.

Posted Nov 28, 2019
  14. i would have to agree with phamtastic, and besides, on the mojang website it only lets you change your ign every 30 days. so when someone changes their username on mojang, they can change their forums username on the same day to whatever their ign is. for instance, when i changed to steluh, on the same day i could change my forums username to steluh.

Posted Dec 12, 2019 at 4:45 PM
  15. Heyo!

I don't see a reason to add this feature. I think that waiting for 30 days is just fine. The amount of time before you can change your in-game name is 30 days so I think the forums name change wait time is just fine. Like many have stated, the forums would look sloppy with everyone changing their names and no one knowing who's who.

~Cheers!
    -spikecreates

Posted Dec 15, 2019 at 11:22 AM
  16. Hey! I don't agree with this suggestion as it doesn't make any sense. With Mojang, you can only change your name every 30 days so Mineplex has decided to match that. And like many people have said the forums would look a mess if everyone kept changing their names.

Also, as mentioned above 30 days is plenty of time to change your names for the holidays. So, I don't see any reason why it should be changed. Furthermore, again as mentioned above it could confuse people who are who. If everyone kept changing their names people wouldn't know who they are.

Posted Dec 15, 2019 at 11:30 AM