• 74 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 1521 Players Online
  • 1447 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Change the Necro-Posting Rule

Discussion in 'Website Ideas' started by JoePCool14, Sep 7, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Good morning, Mineplex!

Given the current state of the forums with regard to the number of posts, is it time to change the necro-posting rule again?

I see there being two options. The first would be to extend the number of days for a thread to die from 30 to 60. I know this sounds like a drastic change, but since there's not as many active threads anymore, being able to keep older threads going might help spur more activity. I can't browse the forums much knowing that anything more than a month old I see is off-limits for discussion, outside of suggestion threads, even when I have something more thoughtful to add other than "I agree!". I think it's time for this to change.

The second would to be more lenient on the rule. Essentially, allow users to necro-post unless the thread is excessively outdated and/or nothing is being added to the thread (i.e., posts simply saying they agree with OP, congratulating OP, OP thanking other users to excessively bump their thread, etc.). That way, 30 days is still the standard for what counts as an active thread, but there's still an opportunity to revive a discussion if it has merit.

These rule changes should hopefully be possible, despite not having a forum developer at the moment. On a related note, maybe poll the community to see if we have anyone willing to be a volunteer web developer? I bet there's some people out there who might have some experience with Xenforo and may be willing to volunteer their time to help out.

What are your thoughts on this?

Posted Sep 7, 2022
  2. I can agree with this because of the amount of times I wanted to reply to a post but it was like 40 days old. Like you said we don’t have a web dev and this is mineplex so I don’t think anything will happen but it would be nice if the time to necro was made 60ish days.

Posted Sep 7, 2022
  3. We already had a new necro post rule idea that we liked and were going to change, however, we can't update the rules page at all without a web dev or alex. We already have some outdated rules on that page and really don't want to change anything more and get told, "but the rules page says !!!!"

But yeah just know necro rule is one we would change when we get the chance lmao
    Would def not be certain amounts either like you stated, we'd make it a static number like now (30 days) and just make it 60 instead.

Also, they won't accept volunteers for a dev position. They will have to pay the devs and they will have to sign a contract.

Posted Sep 7, 2022
    wattywatty14, chhase, tgjt_ and 3 others like this.
  4. Yikes, that's tough to not be able to change them at all. D: I appreciate that you had thought about changing the rule

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 7, 2022
  5. Does everyone in the community know how to apply for this position (if available) and whom to contact? I can imagine there may be some devs among thousands of daily players.

Posted Sep 8, 2022
  6. Last I heard they are not looking for a web dev

Posted Sep 8, 2022
  7. Why not we need one? Also if we got stats it was said that it would probably be on the fourms

Posted Sep 8, 2022
  8. Having a web dev is the least of the priorities for the leadership/ownership team. Mineplex is still generating a profit, why would the owners want to hire a new web dev as opposed to another front-end dev which could help attract more players to the server, in turn making a larger profit?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a forums update eventually as well and I'm sure that everyone on the network can agree, it's just unfortunate that the website is considered extremely low as a priority.

Posted Sep 8, 2022
  9. Sounds logical to me in terms of profit, not in terms of community. The forums are crucial in connecting players from across the network and indispensable for Mineplex's community as it is (and personally I think this is a major factor in attracting more/new players). Besides, if it's already come to rules pages not receiving updates, it might be time to act.

Posted Sep 9, 2022
  10. Hey there!

Thanks for bringing up your idea; we very much do appreciate it. Regarding your statement, changing rules on the forums depends on the development team because they can change the forums' rule page, as mentioned before by Marzie. I've heard from the development lead that they are not looking for a website developer around this time due to not being necessary or some other reason. Although, I can confirm that mineplex is still profitable, which motivates the idea of hiring a new web developer, right? This is up to LT, so we aren't responsible for that. Also, placing a volunteer in a paid position with a lot of workloads, and even more, if you are the only web developer, can be mentally exhausting, which most likely results in poor performance/quality, which I think is a no-go for the staff team and the community.

I am afraid it's a higher-up decision, so your idea would most likely not be possible to implement around this time. But stay tuned :gwen:

Posted Sep 9, 2022
    xd Lord lol likes this.
  11. His Joe! First and foremost, thank you for coming forward with this idea suggestion. As said above, we do generally appreciate when someone has suggestions, especially when it’s regarding our rules. As someone who works on the Forums Team and has for a while now, I can definitely agree to this rule change! I’m very excited to see that Marz agrees and has some changes in mind regarding our Necro-Posting rule. I think that in making this change, it will definitely allow some threads to get more light and remain active longer. I hope this helps increase activity because I love and adore the forums! Great suggestion! Can’t wait to see this changed and I’m interested in what others may think.

Posted Sep 9, 2022
  12. They're not looking for a web dev? Are you kidding me? The forums are crucial for community engagement; there are so many things that can be enhanced on this website, and so many fixes to be made, yet they aren't looking for one because it's not as profitable as other positions? I understand this from a business standpoint, but this just proves that the owners are in it for the money, and they couldn't give two damns about the community holding this server together by a thread. Absolutely laughable.

I haven't been on the forums in a while and I checked back today because I was bored, and this is what I was greeted with. This server has turned into a complete joke. Someone needs to replace these incompetent higher-ups because this is just ridiculous. This'll probably get removed but I don't care - this needs to be said.

Posted Sep 11, 2022
  13. Who could depose them? The higher you go, the more apathetic they get.

Posted Sep 13, 2022
  14. "They are not looking for a web dev"

I mean changing a number from 30 [days] to 60 / 90 / whatever other number [days] doesn't take hiring a full web dev for.

Posted Oct 1, 2022
  15. You wouldn’t think so, but we actually do not have access to editing the Forum Rules directly listed under Website/Forum rules as Marz pointed out in her post above. The rule pages are coded, and we need a Dev/Alex to update said rules.

Posted Oct 2, 2022
  16. I hate that we have to rely on him for stuff....

Posted Oct 2, 2022
    Nyan0 likes this.