• 2758 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 12202 Players Online
  • 9444 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Implemented Change the filter when someone says 'cheating', 'hacking', etc.

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by gzen, Feb 19, 2020.

?

Thoughts

1. Yay

2. Nay

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Here is the current filter message when someone says a phrase like this -->
    [​IMG]

First off, this message is outdated. Accusing players of cheating on its own is no longer mutable and has been merged under spam. The message gives false information.

Secondly, the recommended place to reported hackers mentioned in the text is on the website, which I doubt most users would go out of their way to actually record evidence, go to the website, and upload it. It's a waste of a game for nothing and in most cases, the user doesn't be dealt with for a prolonged period.

Finally, telling people in the chat there is a hacker is valuable information as it allows users to prepare or get their defense ready to deal with them.

I think we should delete the first part of the message and change the recommended reporting zone to be Staffrequest. While it is just a community it's likely the most effective place to get hackers dealt with, as /report and reporting on the forums require time to process, whereas with Staffrequest a moderator can be there within ten seconds. This would also give valuable information to the user who might just think Mineplex is a terrible server with no reasonable way to report hackers fast.

I also think that instead of simply blocking the message that it would display the Staffrequest message and then after a cooldown of two or three seconds the message will be sent. This alerts other players in the server of a cheater and gives the necessary information to the user.

Finally, the message wouldn't have the ability to be disabled in /prefs.

Thanks.

Edit: Staffrequest seems to be the major issue with this post and making it official is a whole other beast. While it would be nice to have it as a thing, that isn't what this idea is about. Removing the filter completely would likely be the best way to handle this as reporting on the forums is a task that most people won't do because of slow response time and other antics. Meanwhile, /report is the same gimmick except it's Hero+. While repeatedly hackusating a player is in fact mutable, there aren't any other specialized filters to certain areas of spam so I don't feel this should be any different. As I mentioned before, warning other players of a cheater helps preparation and possibly gives more experienced players the oppurtunity to report to Staffrequest. The argument on whether or not a warning should be had for spam hackusation can go back and forth, but these are my personal thoughts.

Posted Feb 19, 2020,
    Last edited Feb 21, 2020
  2. Hello there!

I totally agree with this idea. So many people use StaffRequest, but barely anyone uses /report. I know it because of how much I see this in chat, and that's why I'm in StaffRequest. Honestly, I do think /report should be removed, and StaffReport should be the only way to report rule breakers. +1

Posted Feb 19, 2020
    SpyNinja__ likes this.
  3. I agree, I have been muted and warned for calling out a bhopper which seems pretty ridiculous considering I am letting others know their is a hacker in the game and should be aware.

Posted Feb 19, 2020
    crazygeek516 and SummerIsFun2 like this.
  4. Although StaffRequest is a great way to report rule breakers, it technically is considered an “unofficial” community. It’s ran by an admin and it’s pretty popular, but it’s still just a community that was created by a staff member. Not entirely sure if it would be allowed to be advertised in an official message like this, but of course, the ideas section is where changes happen. I think it’s a great way to report rule-breakers, so I wouldn’t mind seeing it in an official message.

I guess it wouldn’t hurt to add the word excessively at the beginning. “Excessively accusing...” since you’re right, it’s only punishable under spam now. The words should still be filtered though as the discussion isn’t really needed publicly.

Posted Feb 20, 2020
    Fallen™ and Tilgorn like this.
  5. @Toki isn't this your department

Posted Feb 20, 2020
    M4RK7000 and Fallen™ like this.
  6. I remember when this filter change was made and, iirc, it was to curb the number of hackusations that people received. Considering hackusations now require multiple instances before punishing under spam, I do not think this filter is no longer needed. Back then, we didnt have staff request and now that we have it, people can simply report those who they think of hacking through that avenue. Instead of changing it, I suggest removing the filter for hacking and cheating completely

Posted Feb 20, 2020
    crazygeek516, Im_Ken and Vocaloiid like this.
  7. Heyo!
    Well I can agree with this all the way. It has annoyed me so many times, but people just bypass it and say H4ck, and no I'm not encouraging anyone else to do that. Like if we accuse someone of cheating, if they are, then there is nothing wrong in being the one to stand up and let everyone else know.
    +1 because it is just unnecessary and outdated.
    Cheers!
    ~Sean

Posted Feb 20, 2020
    OnceAnL_ and SpyNinja__ like this.
  8. @510bike @Sven if the filter can't be changed to include Staffrequest then I think removing the message completely would be the best course of action yeah

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Feb 20, 2020
  9. I mean this was brought up before and denied pretty sure because it isn't an offical thing. On top of that the filter with "cheating" and "hacker" or whatever are a completely different filter that toki doesn't have access to change afaik.

Posted Feb 20, 2020
    Im_Ken and Fallen™ like this.
  10. I would include the other two forms of reporting which are /report (specify that the user must be Hero+) and StaffRequest. I still think the link should be there in the case of Ultra or rankless players waiting to be invited to StaffRequest. The part where it warns players of potential infractions should definitely be changed to "excessively accusing others of cheating will be considered spam and subsequently get you punished" for clarity as that rule has been merged into spam.

+1

Report a User | Report a Bug | Rules | My Profile | Applications

Posted Feb 20, 2020
    Im_Ken likes this.
  11. From what I heard, they don't have access, as I personally mentioned something about this a year or two ago and was rejected for, well, that exact reason.

I don't really agree. Hackusation is still not something we want to encourage, and is definitely discouraged. It's not helpful to the game, and there are better suited ways to report it. That being said, I don't agree with the idea presented here either. So... what do I think?

#1: Instead of the filter preventing a message, let it through but send them the "no hackusating" message, with a few edits.

#2 Message (POV EmmaBad):

[​IMG]

I disagree with promoting StaffRequest as it is unofficial, however this edited message as well as removing the part of the filter which physically cancels the message sending event, in my opinion, would be the right way to go.

Let me know your thoughts y'all!

Posted Feb 20, 2020
    Im_Ken, Dulciloquy and Klobby like this.
  12. I agree with this idea but instead of removing the message, we can allow the player to post their message but the warning would still appear so that they can be aware as it's still punishable but only if spammed. As for StaffRequest, I don't think it'll be a good idea to add that to the message. Not only is it unofficial as some players have already stated but not all players can join it as we have a set of criteria for players that are requesting to join the community, mainly to prevent actual hackers from entering the community. Due to this factor, not all players would be able to join the community but every player would be able to report a rule-breaker on the forums as long as they have a recording software.

I definitely agree with either removing it or letting the player type the message out whilst still receiving that output but I don't think the message should be changed at all.

Posted Feb 21, 2020
    crazygeek516, Dan1el, mab8400 and 2 others like this.
  13. That works but making staffrequest official would probably work better considering its fast-paced response time. If the filter doesn't work out in promoting staffrequest this would be an improvement but I would rather see it go entirely. Spam is its own concept and while hackusation is a special criterion under this category, other forms of it don't have any sort of warning to them so this specific area shouldn't have it's own filter as far as my opinion goes. Once again though I could see this working if my other thoughts don't exactly go through. Thanks for the insight.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Feb 21, 2020
  14. The reason I’m personally against it going is simple. The filter is there to stop mass amounts of hackusation. It may be merged under spam, but hackusation will always be a problem on any server, including Mineplex. Removing the filter fully is a step too far imo, as it not only helps to reduce the hackusation going around on the network but serves a dual purpose in which it tells players where to report, when they otherwise might not know. Player convenience doesn’t seem like a good reason to remove that.

Posted Feb 21, 2020
  15. Hey there.

I think that it would be a good idea to update the filter. As many others above have stated, it's useful information to the other players in the game if there is a hacker in the game. It makes it easier to prepare for the hacker to come, and I think it's a good opportunity to act quickly. However, a concern would be that people will start to hackusate still, but what I think we can do (as many others have suggested above) is to get the message that hackusating is against the rules, but you will still be able to send the message. It's much better to be reminded rather than blocking the whole message because it can be useful. As for the StaffRequest Community, I think that it would be a good idea to have it as an Official Community. Even though some players might not enter, I think we should still advertise for it much more than we do currently, so everyone has at least heard of the community and know that it's an option. Overall, I'll give this a +0.5, thank you for posting this thread. I've been thinking about this a couple of times and I'm glad that you brought it up!

Posted Feb 21, 2020
  16. 100% agree.

Posted Feb 21, 2020
  17. As far as the overall idea presented here, I think @Fallen™ 's idea is the strongest: remove the filter so the message is allowed to be sent, but also remind the player about reporting that is available through the website.

Website reporting is the only avenue open to any and all players that have an in-game account, and therefore it is the only one that can be quickly and seamlessly advertised. Sure we could advertise /report, but then we would also need to specify it's Hero+ and possibly provide information on how to purchase a rank. I don't think it looks good to have an advertisement for reporting that is essentially hidden behind a payment wall, so I would stick to our forums link.

Some people have mentioned it, but the reason StaffRequest is unofficial and will most surely remain that way is that staff members are not required to be active here. The community is ran by a staff member, but it's definitely not a requirement for other staff to join, read messages, or follow through with helping out. Those staff members that are active in this community are doing it from the kindness of their heart and care for the community. Despite this (in my opinion) generous donation of time, many players, especially in the past, have resorted to complaining quite heavily about the lack of quick responses. This is especially a problem during late night AU type hours when the number of staff members on the server at all is quite low. If this community was made official and a requirement for staff members to join and keep up with, players would expect even more quick and reliable responses, which unfortunately is unrealistic especially at those low player-count hours. From a Staff-Management side of things, it would also add onto the list of tasks a staff member is required to complete, and would likely warrant tracking of activity from Mentors which would be difficult. Currently, those that want to help out do and I think this system works better for our staff team.

TL;DR - I don't think SR should be made official because it would increase player expectations and cause upset if it was unreliable at times.

Posted Feb 21, 2020
    Fallen™ likes this.
  18. After thinking about it you're definitely right, it wouldn't give the best impression and wouldn't be as helpful. That aside from the issues that /report has had in the past and sometimes has nowadays. The website reports are, frankly, answered very quickly and courteously.

Posted Feb 21, 2020
  19. Helloo!

Thanks for the idea. We've gone and removed the hackusation filter. However, I'll still go through your post to just give an understanding as to why this has happened:

True! It was giving out false information, which is huge in making sure that our players are being told only correct information, let alone from something built-in to the server.

Well, this is still correct. The only place where you are guaranteed to get a response for getting a hacker off that network is by using the forums; a member of Reports Patrol will respond and they will be handled accordingly. Places like StaffRequest are unofficial and are not 100% guaranteed to get a response. /report is an official command that we have, but there are times that we get high volumes of these or a player could log offline.

This is partially true. If someone is hacking and you say something, you can tell players to get ready or start recording, and this message did prevent that. I apologize about this, but it has changed for the better.

In the end, it's been completely removed from the server. If you have any more questions or concerns about this change, please send me a private message.

Locked ↣ Implemented

Posted Apr 9, 2020 at 2:39 AM
    Wiz2K likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.