• 0 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • Players Online
  • 0 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Castle Siege!

Discussion in 'Game Alterations' started by ZTB, Feb 13, 2019.

?

Would you want to see a return of Castle Siege?

1. Yes

87.5%
  2. No

12.5%
  1. ZTB

ZTB

(Going to note, I'm posting this under alterations, sorry if its the wrong forum but I figured that since the game is currently on MPS this would technically be an alteration.)

Hi!

I first came to Mineplex in 2016, and really enjoyed playing a variety of games. One of my favorites from around this time was Castle Siege, and for those of you who don't know, was a game which involved a team of defenders, and a team of attackers. The defenders would attempt to protect an NPC 'King' for a certain amount of time, while the attackers would attempt to bypass the defenders' barricades and kill the NPC.

I really enjoyed this game when I played it before, and from what I've heard (via in-game chat, mainly), others have shared my experience. When I came back to Mineplex late last year, I was certainly disappointed that this game had been removed, as it did have a certain element of skill and strategy to it.

From what I've gathered, the game was removed for not having enough players to consistently fill servers of 80 (Or was it 100?) players. While having the massive numbers of players certainly contributed to the feeling of a castle under siege, I believe that this may have been a purely unnecessary extra detail. I played Castle Siege on a MPS (Mineplex Player Server) multiple times in the past few months, all of the times with less than twenty people, but all of the times still feeling like the game worked as intended even with the much smaller number.

So, what I'm proposing is that this be brought back as a game, but have a lowered player count. I'd propose starting this at 16 (The same amount as Cake Wars), with two teams of eight. While the game would be nowhere close to as massive as it had been before, It'd still be a very enjoyable game, which I believe is fairly unique to Mineplex.

Please comment if there's any edits I can make, or something I'm forgetting!

Posted Feb 13, 2019
  2. Melvard

Melvard

Hey there!

I used to be a huge Castle Siege fanatic as well! I enjoyed playing on both sides, but especially on the undead.

Anyway, I would love to see a game with the same concepts of Castle Siege in the future. Perhaps a game that does not require 80-100 people like you mentioned. However, a small player count would drastically effect the overall excitement. You see, if there were too little players, the undead would quickly storm the castle. The defenders would not be able to stop them; the game would end too quickly. And to be quite honest, I think you can agree that the game would be a lot more fun with 50 players on each side. Unfortunately I just don't see that happening.

Thanks for the idea. I look forward to what others have to say!
    -Melvard

Posted Feb 14, 2019
  3. Animalll

Animalll

Hey!

Unfortunately, I disagree. I think that your idea is great, but it just doesn't work from a business perspective. Even with the lowered player count you have proposed, Castle Siege still wouldn't have a high player count. Also, if Castle siege were to start at 16 players, it would lower the overall prestige and hype of the gave, overall making it feel less fun and not as good as it used to be. Overall, the idea itself works on theoretically, but it wouldn't work in game and it would make Castle Siege feel less fun and engaging. Keep up the ideas!

Posted Feb 14, 2019
  4. _RSTC_

_RSTC_

Somethings just have to be left behind.

Posted Feb 14, 2019
    PapiKirito likes this.
  5. PapiKirito

PapiKirito

I loved castle siege- the game, the community, it was just an awesome time. However, it's just not logical to bring it back. We peak at around 2.5k players and most games outside of cake wars, sg, and seasonal games get around 50ish players at a time. Castle siege needs like 60 players just to start if I remember correctly, and outside of it's tight community (most of whom don't even play anymore), it wasn't that popular. I understand you proposed lowering the player minimum to counter that, but that few players isn't practical for a large scale game like castle siege- you say it's still just as enjoyable but I disagree. I've played plenty of cs mps' as well but it just wasn't the same without the thrill of a huge onslaught. It felt like the game was even more skewed towards the defense than it was when it was popular.

Posted Feb 14, 2019,
    Last edited Feb 14, 2019
    hazeae24 likes this.
  6. MrDrProfessor//_Prof_

MrDrProfessor//_Prof_

I think it can be brought back if the required players to start was a bit lower (to about 40). It was popular a few years ago because Mineplex still had 20k+ players so getting Castle Siege to start, even at 60 required players was not hard. Now that we only have approximately 10% of that quantity, reducing the starting timer to 40 players would help revive it as players won't have to wait as long. In most cases, people leave when a game takes too long to start.

Despite this game dying over years, the community did not see a drastic decrease. The size and engagement of the community plays a big role in the well-being of a game and from the looks of it now, yes, I believe Castle Siege should lower the required players to start if it will return.

+0.5

Report a User | Report a Bug | Apply For Java Trainee | Rules| My Profile

Posted Feb 14, 2019
  7. xUmbreon

xUmbreon

Personally, I wouldn’t mind a return for Castle Siege. I used to play a ton and I still occasionally miss it. However, I highly doubt that it will make a comeback. There simply weren’t enough players to get a game started, and Mineplex isn’t going to keep games that no one is trying to play. That was the sad reality of Castle Siege and that’s what led to the shutdown.

I think that, like stated above, if the game is to come back, the starting player count should be lowered as the playerbase on Mineplex has decreased over the years. It would make it more reasonable, and the games would be much easier to start.

So as I’ve said, I highly doubt that Caste Siege will make a comeback, but who knows what the future holds? I wouldn’t mind it coming back personally, but again there’s a chance it’s not coming back.

Posted Feb 14, 2019
    MrDrProfessor//_Prof_ likes this.
  8. hazeae24

hazeae24

Yo!

As a professionally Castle Sieger, I would love to see CS come back, but I am not sure if it would be successful as before. Even when we still had it, CS was a fairly unpopular game and struggled to do well during certain times. I personally don't see it being added back individually, but if we did a Classics Cow Revamp or something along those lines I would see it returning.

However, regarding your idea, I see some flaws in it regarding game balancing. CS requires a high amount of players in order for the game to be fair for both teams. Since the maps are very large, if a small amount of Defenders were playing it would be very difficult for them to guard important chokehold points and kill Undead players. Players with TNT would be difficult to kill because only a small amount of people will be spread around the entire map. In a regular game of CS, it is more fair since Defenders are scattered throughout the map along with Undead and can kill them more easily since Undead tend to flock together. Defenders would also have difficulty protecting the king. A couple Defenders usually stay back to personally protect the king, but Defenders need the majority of their team to defend chokehold points to prevent them from being overwhelmed by the Undead. There are also balancing issues for the Undead team as well. Undead will have trouble advancing into the castle because Defenders will only have to focus on a smaller amount of players instead of 30-40. Undead are only strong in numbers and without it they wouldn't be able to win. I know a lot of this information is contradictory, but CS needs a high amount of players in order for the game to be played how it was intended.

Posted Feb 17, 2019
    PapiKirito likes this.