• 0 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 3393 Players Online
  • 3393 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Cakewars - Not enough attention?

Discussion in 'Cake Wars' started by Sammie, Mar 21, 2021.

?

Does cakewars deserve more attention?

1. Yes, definetly!

60.9%
  2. No, it is a bad game.

39.1%
  1. Introduction

This was the first time i have played Cakewars, overal it was a game with a good concept, it is an unique game that is made by Mineplex. After playing a several games i noticed how you get rushed by parties as soon as the game starts which was pretty frustrating. The game can be played in duo's or 4 team's of 4 but there is no solo?

Suggestions

Now, i have seen a lot of threads and suggestions in the discord about the parties ruining the game. Now i am thinking why doesn't Mineplex just add a solo mode? Parties would face parties in team's and players who want to play solo will find other solo players which is more fair.

The abilities and special items are very unclear for me, it will take a while for me to get used to it, the ores / tokens in this game are also different which makes the game harder to understand. I would basically make it Iron, Gold, Diamond and Emerald. Maybe they could add a special token the "Star token" for breaking someone their cake to give your team something extra for example more HP.

Make bigger maps so games are a bit harder, right now it is easy to speedrun a game against newbies like me and making the maps bigger would basically solve this problem a bit. Adding maps with themes would be nice since the maps i played on were kind of weird to be fair, no idea what it was supposed to represent.

Add more items such as fireballs, blocks for more variation in games, especially fireballs, it would make it harder for rushers that come 1 second after the game started.

Why do i think the game deserves more attention

I think this game would easily hit 500 players after a month or 2 if it would get the proper attention to fix this game. It's honestly a lovely game with a great concept and this could be a way for Mineplex to get a bigger playerbase again. This game is basically a combination between strategy, teamplay and PvP which is why it would be perfect to make this your most popular game on the server.

What if it gets popular?

After it gets popular there would be many things they can do such as making a winstreak leaderboard, Cakewars ranked for solo and Team to give players more reason to keep playing this game.

They could even make a new mode out of it, Cakewars but without void, the middle would contain the emerald generators with strong guardians defending it. More information about this will be given later if Mineplex would give this gamemode an immense update.

Thanks for reading this thread, feel free to give your suggestions in the comments since Staff can use all the idea's for an update!

Posted Mar 21, 2021
    PlebAU, yauvi, Cloudy and 6 others like this.
  2. I love this idea!!

Posted Mar 21, 2021
    yauvi and Sammie like this.
  3. Hey!

Regarding Cake Wars solo, Mineplex Java doesn't have a player base big enough to split Cake Wars into solos, duos, and squads. If there were 3 game modes, the waiting time before a game would be longer due to lack of players. Although I'm not against the idea, I just don't think it would be good to add at the moment. Also, adding solos will not fix the issue of being rushed at the beginning of the game. There will still be players in solo grinding for wins. If you're struggling against parties, I suggest finding one of your own who you can play with (just ask people in your lobbies to play). As for the maps, most of them have some type of theme or general idea (for example, the new map, London). I don't think the maps need to be made bigger, you can still get pushed, it might just delay it by a minute.

I don't agree with your suggestions about more ores and fireballs. You're probably getting these ideas from Hypixel, adding them would just be a straight copy. Furthermore, what would iron, gold, and diamonds be used for? You can purchase iron armour from the brick shop, and diamond armour from the emerald shop. What more could be added? Also, having emerald generators in the middle doesn't fit Cake Wars, which would make it very similar to Hypixels game. You mentioned how Cake Wars is unique, adding any of those suggestions would change the game, making it like other servers' games. You also said the ores are different, making the game harder to understand, but that's the point. We want Cake Wars to be unique, and that's what it is. Additionally, I feel the game has been around for too long to make major changes like the ones you're suggesting and I don't think they're necessary. If you're having trouble understanding what the bricks, emeralds, or nether stars are used for/how to get them and want some guidance, feel free to message me and I'd be happy to help you out.

Posted Mar 21, 2021,
    Last edited Mar 21, 2021
    yauvi, Amg, Skit and 1 other person like this.
  4. Overall, these are some great ideas and I agree with most of them. I think that having bricks, emeralds, and nether stars are a confusing combination as well, and with them being ordered like that it could help simplify things especially for newer players. Cake Wars Solo has been previously denied in the past, with one of the main reasons being that it would divide the playerbase. While I do agree with this, I think that replacing Duo's mode with a solo mode would counter this issue and work out fine. I'll link a thread here if you'd like to read more about that. Outside of that, I completely agree with making the maps bigger as I think it could help with the current speed run issue with parties rushing very quickly. However, something I disagree with is regarding the ores, fireballs, and such. Like said above, I rather keep Cake Wars unique and not add things that make other versions of this game mode similar to Cake Wars. I also disagree with having emerald or any sort of generator outside of your base, as that's one of the main reasons I love Cake Wars and what I think makes it very unique. Outside of these two things, +1.

Posted Mar 21, 2021
    PlebAU, yauvi, Fusafez and 1 other person like this.
  5. Hello!

Thanks for commenting, i can see why the ifea about the ores is bad but to me it is very confusing.

This thread is made so Cakewars would see changes. Deciding together with the community would be a good possibility.

Have a nice day!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Mar 21, 2021
    siee likes this.
  6. Hello Sammie,

I'm a Cake Wars player, and I'm usually a part of the parties of 4 that rush cakes. Let me start by breaking down your post one-by-one, since you put down a lot of suggestions, some of which are valid, others which would completely throw off the aura of the game.

~~

#1 - CW Solos/CW Modes

Solo Mode is generally requested by players who get frustrated at full parties rushing their cake; I understand the frustration, the utter powerlessness against teams of high-level sweats wiping your clueless teammates.

Now, here's why a Solo Mode wouldn't work: firstly, it'd be too close to Skywars, which already has a low playerbase. Secondly, it would split the CW playerbase (which is already split between duos and standard). Thirdly, the mechanics just don't make sense. CW is about the balance between defense and offense. In a Solo Mode, you can only go one of two ways -- again, it'd be a prettied-up version of Skywars.

Your other idea is interesting. Maybe it could be a standoff game, with no relation to CW? I'm just concerned that it won't work out, given Mineplex's history with their recent new minigames.

#2 - Items, Tokens, Abilities

I'll lump a few of your suggestions into one for brevity's sake. I don't really understand your issue with the items used as in-game currency. When I began playing CW, these were also confusing, but with time and practice, I eventually got hold of what to do with each "currency" and how (and how much I needed) to convert them into, well, useful stuff.

I don't think a "star token" would be useful. A health boost, not matter how low, is overpowered and would actually benefit teams with parties of experienced players.

Also, fireballs. This wouldn't help with parties rushing cakes, because if they were to be added, they would be something that you could buy from the emerald shop, and that's not cheap. However, I like the concept. I feel like CW is missing some kind of AoE item (apart from Polly the Sheep).

#3 - Maps

I both agree and disagree with you regarding maps.

I don't feel that maps are too big. From what I know, Mineplex's maps are much smaller than those on Hypixel Bedwars. Games are more fast-paced on Mineplex. It's part of what makes CW unique compared to other similar games. Small maps are central to the dynamics of Cake Wars. (Some maps are bigger though -- here are some voting recommendations if you like them big: Azure Breeze, Tropical, Oasis, Sanctuary, Plenty o' Fish, Wish, Autumn Utopia, Cherry Falls).

Now, regarding themes... I love the Mineplex Build Team, but some maps have horrendous aesthetics. I don't really enjoy discussing this, because it always leads to a huge form vs. function debate, and in the end, beauty is in the eye of the beholder anyways.

#4 - More Players?

Sadly, even though I enjoy Cake Wars a lot, it's not the game that will bring back the playerbase. There are just too many alternatives out there. What Mineplex needs is a new breakthrough game to become just popular enough to attract YouTubers to play it. That's it. Players will then come organically and fill in other games. Someone (I don't remember who) said that Mineplex is lacking in a PvE game, kind of like Hypixel has Skyblock, and I couldn't agree more.

~~

Thank you for voicing your suggestions, they were very insightful and made me think about some aspects of CW that I hadn't considered!

Posted Mar 21, 2021
    Fusafez and Sammie like this.
  7. Hi!

Thanks for your opinion, although i want to add something to this. Solo cakewars woul
    d be really competitive since you would need to take out enemies but also take care of your cake. And i don't think it will split the community, it is just a personal preference whether you want to play solo team just like in SG.

And you already told me what's wrong with skywars, it shouldn't look like solo CW because it is Skywars hence is why it needs to change like some people said.

Have a great day!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Mar 21, 2021
  8. Hey! So I have to agree with the rest of the posts above me.

In regards to CW and its modes, a solo mode wouldn't work on Java due to the playerbase being much smaller than Bedrock as @siee stated above, and splitting CW into 3 different game modes would increase the queue times indirectly. I think there potentially could be a week each month where we could have experimental modes for CW. There was a limited-time mode that CW had called Sugar Rush a while back, which had an instant cake rot border and full obsidian on the cake already from what I recall. I think maybe bringing this back in some form would help raise the player count of CW.

When it comes to using bricks, emeralds, and nether stars as in-game currency, it just takes practice to remember the purpose of each of them, so I don't see this as much of an issue. The "star tokens" are an interesting concept, but when you combine that with a kit like Warrior, it's basically game-breaking and would give sweat parties full reign over a game, since HP buffs are just nuts in general. The number of players won't be able to spike either, unless there's a new game that many players would enjoy and one that has originality.

With the maps CW has, I feel like most of them are very good but some have bad gameplay. Personally, I don't think the maps are that big, but I don't think the size should be increased either. I know there are a few maps that many players dislike due to the gameplay like Fractured and Mocha. You can look at this post from @jxcvb and his POV on what maps can be removed due to their gameplay and other elements: https://www.mineplex.com/threads/cw-maps-that-need-to-be-removed.188052/

I agree with some arguments and disagree with some others as well, so for right now I'll give this a +0

-Skit

Posted Mar 21, 2021
    Sammie and siee like this.
  9. Great ideas, but other games deserve some attention. Cakewars has hogged the spotlight for years to come. +1 anyways.

Posted Mar 22, 2021
    Sammie likes this.
  10. Hello!

Thanks for your opinion!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Mar 22, 2021
  11. Hi!

I also agree that some other games deserve more love but cakewars is a game that could be very big once you care about it. Thanks for your comment!

OP OP
  12. lol "good concept" "unique game" ooga booga remove bed put cake gg

Posted Mar 22, 2021
    Sammie likes this.
  13. Hi!

Thanks for your reply, you could think that but then no game would be "unique" since you always at other servers to look at their features. But that is just my opinion, have a nice day!

OP OP
  14. Hey! Cakewars has more updates than all the other games. The idea of a new CW mode has been going around for months and maybe years. A game that does deserve attention would be bridges and other classic games such as micro battles. But since Cakewars brings more players, it will get more updates than the rest of the games.

Posted Mar 22, 2021
    Sammie likes this.
  15. Hello!

Yes that could be, but it is just weird that every game has a teammode except solo. Not everyone wants to play with random people in teams for example. Thanks for your comment!

OP OP
  16. i could be wrong but how is cakewars unique

Posted Mar 22, 2021