• 3091 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 11529 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Cake Wars Rewards

Discussion in 'Game Alterations' started by Hestong, Jun 18, 2019.

?

Is this a worthy suggestion?

1. Yes, I'd love to see more experience tagged on to sub 10 minute games.

100.0%
  2. No, this should not be implemented.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hello guys!

I'm here today in regards to a game rewards flaw that I felt would I should address with Cake Wars. Whenever I party with players I know, we generally have strategies to win the game quickly, typically between five to ten minutes. Upon completing these games, I - as an Eternal - earn anywhere between 500 - 900 experience, as opposed to games with longer duration, where I may gain 1200 - 2500 experience. Of course you can take into account your performance in the game, whether it be bites out of a cake or eliminations, although I feel that it definitely rewards players that drag out games, as opposed to players that win efficiently.

My proposal is this - to reward players that finish a game in under ten minutes with bonus experience, shards, and gems. I propose that there be an additional 150 experience, 50 shards, and 50 gems.

My proposed amounts is rough, so feel free to give criticism about amounts and the overall idea. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Posted Jun 18, 2019,
    Last edited Jun 21, 2019
    Repo likes this.
  2. I don’t play Cake Wars nearly as much as I used to. Meaning I can’t exactly comment on the rewards you already receive for faster games. To me, this sounds like, in theory, a very interesting concept that should definitely be explored for Cake Wars. Cake Wars is primarily meant to be a longer paced game that isn’t meant to be completed within 10 or so minutes. Meaning, it is a good thing and you should be rewarded for doing so well in your games. However, it should be taken into account of how many people actually do win games that quickly. If the number is awfully high, then we’re giving out a much larger amount of experience, gems, shards, etc. Giving out almost 1/3 - 1/4 of what you normally received from a game seems fairly high in my opinion. You might need to work out the numbers a bit more, as it seems the reward is a little too high for comfort on this one. It’s a +0 for me.

Posted Jun 18, 2019
    Hestong likes this.
  3. I think this is a great idea, I am naturally a rusher so my games usually end quite fast. I find it interesting that I earn more rewards in sky wars(3-5 minutes) than I do in cake wars (5-30 minutes) per round

Posted Jun 18, 2019
  4. Hey,

I agree with this idea. I play Cake Wars a lot with my friends and typically we tend to have shorter games. Despite quickly defeating the opposing teams, we are always rewarded with less experience than we believe we deserve. Hence, the addition of bonus experience for faster games sounds like a great idea to me.

Gaining more experience for loner games also encourages game prolonging/stalling. The implementation of your idea may also lead to less of this occurring. Great thinking, good luck with your idea!

Posted Jun 18, 2019
  5. You bring up a very interesting point in regards to Cake Wars rewards as opposed to different game modes, so there's some things that I'd like to address. You're absolutely correct when you mention that Cake Wars are designed to be longer lasting games in contrast to the quicker paced minigames. Although, that's exactly my point - finishing a game in a way defies the standard pace is an achievement - it's something that should be rewarded!

You brought my attention to the numbers, and I agree. Since the rewards I'm suggesting would not take into account ranks, I should definitely adjust the amounts to be smaller. The bonus experience would be 150, the shards would be 50, and the gems will remain the same. Of course, these numbers are just rough proposals, and if anybody thinks differently about whether rank should affect the bonus feel free to criticize!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jun 18, 2019
    Caameronn likes this.
  6. Hello! I just wanted to say that this idea is great, however, there can be some downfalls to this. One in which the bonus is only granted to the Cake Wars game, some people may not like this idea because of this, and they might not play that game and want to level up fast. In my opinion, I like this idea because I generally tend to play Cake Wars a lot so it would be a nice addition.

Posted Jun 18, 2019
  7. Yeah, I see your point when you say that people will be influenced to play Cake Wars rather than other game modes, although I can't say I feel the same. The purpose of my suggestion is to compensate for the quick victory, in a way that would not punish the players as opposed to just allowing them to earn as they would in a standard game.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jun 19, 2019
    Repo likes this.
  8. I disagree with this. Experience is determined by performance and time played. If you win a game after about 30 minutes, you'll get around 2500-3000 Experience. If instead, you win six 5-minute games, you'll get about 500-750 Experience per game, so and it'll be around the same or more, depending on your performance. Sure, this doesn't hurt anyone, but it isn't really needed and fewer players would want to play the long, competitive games of Cake Wars, which in my opinion, are the best around.

There's already an achievement in place to get players to have a quick game, which is the Gotta Go Fast Achievement, which rewards you with Gems. Also, implementing this would cause inconsistencies with other games. Why is Cake Wars the only game with this bonus? Extra experience is already given to those who win, and you can see that by just comparing the numbers of a win and a loss; you'll see the difference.

I don't think this is necessary and I think it could potentially decrease the number of long games in Cake Wars, which essentially are the best games.

-1 from me

Posted Jun 20, 2019
  9. Definitely a worthy Idea, but maybe it should be in tiers like...
    Finished in 5 min. +300 exp
    Finished in 10 min. +250 exp
    Finished in 15 min. +200 exp

Posted Jun 20, 2019
  10. Correct - Experience is determined by the performance and time played. That's why I'm making this suggestion, because players that can finish games very quickly are able to accomplish that feat because of successful performance. I highly doubt that players will drag on games if they have the opportunity in order to gain an extra 150 experience. Even with that extra amount, it will never entirely compensate the amount that you would gain in a 30 minute game.

Let's do the math - Assuming an Eternal has a quick victory, they will gain roughly 900 experience, give or take. Now let's tack on the 150 to that from the bonus. That'll be around 1000 experience. Faced with the opportunity to drag out the game and perform better, they can choose this route and earn 2500+ experience.

The bonus would hardly alter the decision between dragging out the game or finishing abruptly. It simply will reward them - which is what I'm advocating for here!

Exactly! Mineplex acknowledges that finishing a game in this period of time is quite difficult to accomplish. To prove my point, teams don't go out of their way to gain this achievement for the gems.

I respect your opinion, and I'm glad that you enjoy long periods of Cake Wars games, although placing shorter games under a negative light is entirely subjective. There's nothing objectively wrong about finishing games in a short period of time, other than the fact that you gain less rewards. Even if this influences shorter games, it would just introduce a different meta and give players something new to learn! In my opinion, it would be fantastic!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jun 20, 2019
  11. Hello, hello!

I can't say I'm an overarching fan of implicitly rewarding players for playing shorter games, but I do think that, in certain games, our EXP equations could definitely be tweaked to omit time played and favor other, more pertinent statistics, such as core gameplay mechanics and the K/D ratio. This could only feasibly be implemented with favorable results in a few games, and as far as Cake Wars goes, I'm very hesitant about the whole idea.

The main reason I don't want to forgo time-based EXP calculations would have to be because by including time-played in your EXP rewards, it prioritizes long-term play time on the network rather than bursts of excellent performance. Run unchecked, this has the potential to ruin and inflate the levels system, stripping them of any real value they have. Currently, I don't think there's anything wrong with our EXP system and while your proposal is intriguing, it doesn't seem inherently necessary and I don't think its worth implementing at the risk of devaluing EXP and high levels.

Posted Jun 20, 2019
    Jaekub likes this.
  12. Okay, I do see what you're getting at here, but I feel you have a slight misconception with what I'm proposing. I'm suggesting that there be a small 150 EXP reward towards finishing a game in under ten minutes. I highly doubt that amount tacked on could result in massive experience inflation. It's simply a bonus that rewards winners for an impressive feat, and without any statistics I think it's an overestimation to claim that the level system in MP would implode.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jun 21, 2019
  13. Ah, let's do some math here. What you're suggesting is a 20-30% increase of XP for games shorter than 10 minutes. That's a HUGE increase of XP. If you're actively playing Cake Wars, you'll have an extra 20k-25k XP on your hands, which generally is a lot of XP for the average player.

Now, I wouldn't mind a slight bonus, such as 50-100 XP for a win under 10 minutes, but the amount you're suggesting is too much. No, Mineplex won't implode due to too much XP being given out for Cake Wars, but it will cause an unbalance in how XP is given to players on the network.

Posted Jun 21, 2019
  14. Heyoo!

Honestly, I don't think that would be a great idea. I personally play cake wars very often and most of the time in the party with my friends. We finish our game within 10 minutes most of the time but I don't think that would be a great idea giving some bonus experience, shards and gems basically because there are going to be more people tryharding to win their games within 10 minutes to get their bonus. Cake Wars will be like the best game for grinding experience on Mineplex and I personally think that would be broken.

Posted Jun 21, 2019
  15. Heyo,

My mistake, I forgot to change the EXP bonus on the main thread. I had the numbers to be 250, although I earlier curved it to 150. Roughly 17% or less than the original increase for sub 10 minute games. *I should definitely edit the original thread, my bad :c*

Anyways, if you're suggesting that the individual would gain 20 - 25k experience, that would be in a span of 25+ games, under the assumption that EVERY game they win is a victory under ten minutes. If we're working with that phenomenal win streak, then that would be a net gain of 4250 EXP from the bonus I'm proposing. Those individuals would have to play at the most three hours straight, give or take. Sure - I'm willing to admit that's quite a bit of experience gained, although I'm still willing to argue that it's definitely compensating for the feat of 25 sub ten wins.

I'm taking into consideration the bonus that you suggested, which is 50 - 100 EXP tacked on. When I do the math, it may turn out to be more balanced, although for now I'm sticking with the 150 EXP bonus.

You bring up some fair points in that post. Also, please correct my math if I did it incorrectly.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jun 21, 2019