• 1505 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 8166 Players Online
  • 6661 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Processed Cake Wars QoL Suggestions

Discussion in 'Bedrock Ideas' started by Loofii, Sep 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. As we all know, Bedrock Cake Wars is the best. However, there are a couple things that could still definitely be improved regarding it-- just small QoL things that would improve gameplay overall. I'm sure there are more than what I've listed, but these are the ones that feel the most relevant to me personally.

1. Bulk Purchasing of Arrows

This is probably the one that has the largest impact on gameplay. The Bedrock GUI, compared to the Java GUI, already takes much longer to purchase various items. The item that takes the longest, in my opinion, is arrows. Not only do you have to scroll to purchase arrows each time you wish to, but they only come in sets of 3, which can make mass-purchasing for CW endgame very frustrating. Java already has a bulk system, which is what Bedrock needs. So, how could this be done? Theoretically a section at the bottom could be made on each shop GUI that increases it to bulk purchasing, but IMO with the way Bedrock GUIs work the best solution would be to have a separate option for greater arrows, beneath the current one. Instead of 3, one could purchase 9 for 32 bricks. This would also incentivize buying in bulk, as it would have a slightly cheaper cost-per-arrow. This means you would have to click three times less to purchase your arrows for endgame.

2. No Double-Purchasing Picks

When I'm trying to quick-buy items in the GUI, I oftentimes misclick since I'm in a hurry and my scrolls aren't always accurate. The slightest drift from on-target can currently lead you to accidentally purchasing multiple picks instead of armor. The GUI is already set to not allow you to repurchase the same armor (or lesser armor), and the same system functions with swords. A small change could be made so that you cannot repurchase picks you already have, and can only upgrade your pick. If you want to give your teammate a pick, you still can-- by giving them 8 bricks.

3. Map Alterations When Adapting to Bedrock

Most current CW maps are adapted to Bedrock very similarly to how they exist in Java. A small alteration that would be ideal is to remove some of the brush/flowers from nearby edges of the islands. This is to compensate for the common Bedrock-only tactic of jump bridging. I myself am a big jump bridging fan, and I find that having a lot of flowers/brush near the edges of the islands can get in the way of me starting my jump bridges. If the ones near the edges were removed, jump bridging would be smoother and easier. This one's really simple and isn't a coding thing like the others, but rather something that should just be talked about when maps are introduced to the Bedrock platform.

That's about all for now. If anyone has any feedback on these small changes or other suggestions, please don't hesitate to toss it in here!

Posted Sep 20, 2020
  2. 1. Bulk Purchasing of Arrows

Not quite sure why this doesn’t already exist on Bedrock, if I’m being honest. Java has this feature, and it’s definitely a nice one to have so you don’t have to repeatedly click on the arrow to buy it, frankly this is quite annoying. Although, I don’t think this feature is necessarily needed, it would be a nice QoL change to have, as if you have archer kit equip this isn’t much of an issue as you probably won’t be buying arrows. Overall though, I’d love if this were to be implemented as it definitely caters to the user-friendly side of things and would improve gameplay a lot.

Don’t have much to say on this idea, I don’t find myself misclicking things too often, but for the times I do, it’s definitely frustrating to have to save up my bricks again to purchase the item I’d like to and probably waste the pick I just bought. Again, don’t think this is too needed, but it would definitely make things easier and more enjoyable in Cakewars.

Yeah, I definitely think something like this should be put in place. Maybe something such as Bedrock map submissions? Although the idea you suggested would probably work as well, I feel as if it still might not have the uniqueness and gameplay experience of a newly developed map, but the Java maps ported to Bedrock could use a little more alteration to them. I don’t know if something such as Bedrock map submissions will ever happen, so that might be the closest will get.

To wrap this up, I commend you for suggesting these ideas and fully agree with the implementation of all of them, despite the changes not being a necessary addition, they would be nice to have.

Posted Sep 21, 2020
    Loofii and xX_Syren_XxTTV77 like this.
  3. Im unfamiliar to what exactly a bulk purchase is, but I think a good solution to this would be to just have the GUI stay in the exact location when you purchase an item instead of you having to scroll up and down constantly. I will agree that arrows could be stocked to 9 for 32 bricks.

In instances where they are not near the shop, it would be better to give them a Pickaxe, especially if they’re trying to invade a teams base. However I agree that Pickaxes like swords and armour should also be non-repurchasable unless of course you die.

I agree with this point, the items around the corners of the islands are not really necessary and make jump bridging slightly harder to do, I’d like to note however there are actually multiple ways to start jump bridging that shouldn’t have to make you go through these obstacles. I’d also like to note that some maps still have issues where blocks tend to disappear as soon as you place them. These usually occur at emerald points so it would be good if those were fixed too. Lastly I found that the words around your cake prevents you from placing blocks so it would be good if that was removed too.

Posted Sep 21, 2020,
    Last edited Sep 24, 2020
    Loofii and xX_Syren_XxTTV77 like this.
  4. I really love the ideas proposed, as they all would really improve Cake Wars on bedrock.

This makes a ton of sense, but the bedrock GUIs are pretty limited on how they could be formatted. I am not exactly sure what the devs can do in terms of adjusting GUIs, but I feel like there could be an even better way to do this. Possibly, instead of just listing bulk quantities below the regular amount, when you click to purchase arrows, you are taken to a new GUI. Within that GUI, it gives a few options for varying amounts of arrows. This should lead to less clutter in the main GUI, my only concern being if this would possibly take too much time, when the whole goal is to save time. I genuinely don't know which idea for this would work best, but did want to suggest an alternative to just placing them on the main GUI.

The fact you can double-purchase picks doesn't really make a ton of sense, so I agree it should be removed. As you stated in your original post, it is easy enough to give a teammate bricks, if they want a pick as well. Overall, double purchasing of goods just generally does not make sense, so 100% agree with this!

I agree with this, but think there are other advantages of adapting maps to Bedrock. While your point makes sense, as there are different play styles on Bedrock and Java, I also feel like maps should not be pretty much copy and paste from Java to Bedrock. When I play most of the games on Bedrock, I feel like I am playing the exact same game as Java. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing, it would be nice if the maps were a little more custom on Bedrock. This would just give Bedrock a little bit of a different feel from Java, and personally, would make it even more fun to play, as I would not be able to play the same exact maps on Java as Bedrock. I don't think they should be completely different, but maybe just a few changes here and there.

So overall, I think all of the ideas you proposed are amazing, and would love to see all of them implemented!

Posted Sep 23, 2020
    Loofii likes this.
  5. Hey, so I really like the ideas you proposed for CakeWars!!

So out of the three ideas you suggested this is my favorite! I hate having to buy 3 arrows at a time then enter the UI again just to buy 3 more arrows. It’s very slow and I can accidentally click on something else that I didn’t want to buy when I’m trying to quickly purchase more arrows. I think an option to buy like 9 arrows at once would be great or the UI can be modified so it does not close after you purchase something.

2. No Double Purchasing Pickaxes
    I think this idea is great because you only really need one Pickaxe in the first place and like you said if you want to buy one for your teammate, just give them bricks. Also, if you want you can buy a Pickaxe for them, give it to them and then buy one for yourself.

This would be a nice and easy change to make to existing and future Bedrock maps which would help players speed bridge to the other islands quicker without having to worry about breaking plants. Also, as @xstr4fiingx || strafed303 said up above the emerald points usually have a lot of shrubs around the edges. It would be nice if that was removed too.

Posted Sep 23, 2020
    Loofii likes this.
  6. 1. Might as well make this a feature for every purchasable item. It's simple and would only save time just like you said, it already takes a long time to get through bedrock GUI on its own.

2. Yeah, also something I wouldn't mind getting added. It can happen and it does pretty often so it would be nice to have this feature implemented for pickaxes and essentially any other items that you wouldn't really need to rebuy after buying once (if they don't already have this system set in place)

3. I mean, you're a map tester! (You could always just notify MI smh), but yeah. I don't personally do jump bridging that much but if it's an issue then it's worth mentioning or even directly reporting it (orrrr just asking MI which you can already do right now), so they can take a look at it and fix it.

Posted Sep 24, 2020
    Loofii likes this.
  7. I suggested this a while back here and this should be really useful +1

I don't really find myself misclicking slot but when it does happen I just put it in the ender chest for when I die.

Though this would be useful for the few times that this does happen, but it's not really needed

+0.5

[
    QUOTE="Loofii, post: 552521, member: 142"]3. Map Alterations When Adapting to Bedrock

Most current CW maps are adapted to Bedrock very similarly to how they exist in Java. A small alteration that would be ideal is to remove some of the brush/flowers from nearby edges of the islands. This is to compensate for the common Bedrock-only tactic of jump bridging. I myself am a big jump bridging fan, and I find that having a lot of flowers/brush near the edges of the islands can get in the way of me starting my jump bridges. If the ones near the edges were removed, jump bridging would be smoother and easier. This one's really simple and isn't a coding thing like the others, but rather something that should just be talked about when maps are introduced to the Bedrock platform.[/QUOTE]

I really love jump bridging, and find this as an issue too and the flowers near the edge of the islands should be removed.

All the other flowers should be breakable, they are quite annoying.

+1

Posted Sep 24, 2020
  8. I agree completely on many of your points about the map alterations. I also find that the surrounding plants and flowers do cause some issues when it comes to jump bridging and bridging in general. It would be a good idea to do so. But also it can be part of the challenge of the game to adapt to the maps and learn lessons. Anyways, your ideas are really good! I support 100%.

Posted Sep 24, 2020
    xGetSpooked likes this.
  9. Hi there!

Cake wars is my favourite game so I can definitely relate to a lot of issues. I'll admit I'm a bow spammer and therefore I find it frustrating when I have to click about 20 times to get the number of arrows I want when I would happily commit all my bricks towards getting more arrows. Secondly, I make this mistake a lot. I accidentally click two pick-axes which means I have to go and get 8 more bricks which is very frustrating and like you say, the GUI limits bows and armour so it shouldn't be too difficult to implement. The last point doesn't impact me personally because I'm not a speed bridger but I can understand why speed bridgers would want them. Overall I agree with this thread and I hope we can see these features implemented in the near future!

-MC Minium

Posted Sep 24, 2020
    spookyanika likes this.
  10. pretty good suggestions, i have wrote them down on the proposal. going to include the map changes but not sure since that one isn't up to me much.

Posted Oct 5, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.