• 456 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 8894 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Cake wars map - Oar's Rest

Discussion in 'Build Showcase' started by EtherealPlane, Oct 11, 2019 at 4:01 PM.

1. Hey all,

I'm back with a 3rd map, another cake wars one since it's easily my favourite game at the moment. I've gone for a more simple, unique look which actually has room for competitive pvp etc unlike my last one, Galactic Drift, which was purely aesthetic. This time the theme is medieval since you can get a simple yet detailed gradient out of it and it's quite broad too. I hope y'all like it and let me know what you think:

IMGUR: https://imgur.com/a/pdaTbaW

I'm thinking of doing a Halloween one next since we all know it's coming up soon, let me know what you think of that too. If anyone has any map ideas clawing at them feel free to PM me them and I might consider them for my next theme too.

Thanks.

Posted Oct 11, 2019 at 4:01 PM
  2. Wow!

This is an amazing map! I love the amount of detail there is it's super cute! The spawn islands are sooo cute with the little house and the amount of detail there is just makes it even better! The center island is also amazing with the pathways, flowers and buildings make it look incredible! Great job on this map and I hope to see it on the server soon.

One suggestion is to add interior to the houses maybe: beds, crafting tables, benches ect. I think that will make the map even better.

Posted Oct 11, 2019 at 4:09 PM
  3. I worry that people might be able to camp on top of the tower at mid. I can't tell if there's a way up, but people could enderpearl or nerd pole up there which isn't good. Similarly, there's that lower layer around the back of the spawn islands that people could camp on, stalling out the game since it would be difficult to find them.

Another thing is that the emerald islands are only just big enough to fit the beacon on. As lots of fights can occur around emerald beacons, especially early on in the game, the islands should be bigger to facilitate that. Overall, the space between the islands seems really small, as you can almost just jump to the middle from the emerald islands. There should be a bigger gap otherwise people can get to mid so fast and it also makes defending from a rush much harder since there's considerably less time.

The map guidelines state that there should be connecting islands directly in front of each pair of islands which your map doesn't have, so I'd suggest adding that. There also doesn't seem to be any holes in the terrain which the guideline also mentions.

Overall I think the map looks really good but there are mainly issues with the size and spacing of the map.

Posted Oct 11, 2019 at 4:35 PM
    EwMikey likes this.
  4. adding on to what @Xukuri said, i feel there is too much nature at the middle island & i feel it's too cluttered; try removing some trees. also, don't add animals.

please remember the teams, red, blue, yellow, green, pink, purple, cyan, orange. remember, too, that wool should look like these;
    [​IMG]

i'd recommend to try and not block the nether star beacon, either
    [​IMG]

i feel the fences in general are too blocking, it'll be easy to run into. your choice to keep them or not, i'd recommend not as it kind of disturbs gameplay.

also, i feel the emerald islands are a bit small.

add connecting islands, and move the team islands back a little--they're too close. same goes for the emerald island and the middle island.

like Xuruki said, the tower is way too big, try lowering it a bit.

also, datapoints will fix the possible camping issue. see more about datapoints here; https://www.mineplex.com/threads/cake-wars.7664/.

also, like @Wolfayy said, try adding some design to the houses on the inside, they're kinda bland.

i think the sides of the team islands are a bit awkward on the left and right?
    [​IMG]

Posted Oct 11, 2019 at 6:57 PM
    Tea and Xukuri like this.
  5. Heyyy!

I'm not much of a Builder myself, but I must say, this is an awesome build! Though there are complications (potential game stalling, a bit small emerald beacon points) as players have already said. Even so, this map is awesome! Definitely 100x better than what I can make. I can tell that you've put a lot of time into this built and I admire the little details that were added.

Have a great rest of your day!

-JYTG

Posted Oct 11, 2019 at 9:22 PM
  6. No No the map is very good. Whats wrong if people get on top of [email protected] Be a man and go after them then. If they game stall and try to hide, go find them. There are ways to find and get to someone if they are hiding. Keep it up EterealPlane, very great map you got there

Posted Oct 11, 2019 at 9:36 PM
  7. The tower itself is fine, but it’s just too tall. It can easily create game stalling which will lead to anger and people not wanting to play the map. To the map maker; the tower looks great you just need to make it smaller.

Posted Oct 11, 2019 at 10:47 PM
    Tea and Xukuri like this.
  8. Ya the map is good. The tower is good just make it look tall and cool but not too tall then. Thanks for the feedback EwMikey

Posted Oct 11, 2019 at 11:21 PM
  9. Hey, this map looks incredible!

Out of all of the maps I have seen in my life for CW, this is very unique as it has sort of a Skywars vibe to it. I really do enjoy the amount of detail put into this and because of that I really have no negative things to say. Now, I will touch on what people have said above about the emerald points being a little too small as they are right. I personally believe if you were to make those not majorly bigger, but around the size of the average emerald beacons, then this map will be phenomenal!

Posted Oct 12, 2019 at 1:45 PM
  10. Wow, this is unlike any Cake Wars map that I've ever seen. It has a completely different feel than all of the other maps. However, I'm not sure what to think about mid. I feel it might clash with the gameplay but that's just me. Other than that, If it was to be added, I would be very interested in testing it out.

I also think that the emerald beacon locations should be made bigger to make gameplay better.

Posted Oct 13, 2019 at 7:29 PM,
    Last edited Oct 13, 2019 at 7:39 PM
  11. Hey mate!
    You’ve got some amazing map. You did a really good job on this map and I can clearly see how much time and detail you put into this... good job, I’d love to see more maps from you! :)

Posted Oct 13, 2019 at 7:38 PM