• 855 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 8975 Players Online
  • 8120 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned Cake Wars Idea: Ranked

Discussion in 'Bedrock Ideas' started by Printiel, Jan 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A big hello to everyone reading this!

I think one of the largest issues people have with Cake Wars - both on Bedrock and Java - is the issue of "tryhards" and various other issues sparked by players of different skill levels. I have an idea to fix this: a Ranked system!

I've been playing Cake Wars Duos with my boyfriend almost every night for a few months now. I don't think we're the best players by any means, but I do think that we do pretty well - when we get the chance to play past the first three minutes. Many people struggle to play with "tryhards" around, and if you've played Cake Wars, you know the type; they immediately go after the nearest person/people, they might go after an emerald point, and it's unlikely that you'll be able to get a good foothold on the game when you have to deal with them, because how are you meant to compete with others who are geared up when you're stuck fighting the same team for the first portion of the game?

When we DO make it that far, it seems like other players are either far worse than us or far better than us. I don't think most people find it fun when you're playing with people on different skill levels constantly. It's either impossible to play because they're better than you and unless you get really lucky, they'll almost always win, OR the roles are switched and you're going against people it feels like you're almost guaranteed to beat, which makes it boring.

With the recent minigame switching system that had Cake Wars Solos as a feature, and with Cake Wars almost always having the highest player count on Bedrock, I think it's safe to say that Cake Wars is still active and worth receiving updates. Thus, I propose a Ranked system be added, alongside the current features, to allow players to go against others of a similar skill level.

1. It would allow players of lower skill levels to get better by practicing with others on their level, and it would allow players of high skill levels to have a challenge against eachother.

2. It would prevent "tryhards" from being as prevalent; if they manage to get high in the rankings, they suddenly have to deal with players who are on a skill level that is different from them due to their usage of irritating strategies vs. (mostly) pure skill.

3. It would overall allow for a lot more competition in the playerbase, which would be great for Mineplex overall.

Why stop there, though? Perhaps a Ranked system could be implemented for all of the most competitive games (Cake Wars, Micro Battles, Skywars, etc.)! It would serve as a revamp to the current system and attract more players; it would allow those who want to play in the normal environment to do so in a way that doesn't invade their niche; and it would let players who are tired of the consistent cheating & "tryhards" to have an escape (for the most part).

I think it would be beneficial to everyone, if it was to be implemented.

Note: I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement this, so don't go after any staff members if they say it can't/won't be done for this reason or that. This is a simple suggestion.

Anyway, thanks to anyone and everyone who has read this far. I appreciate you giving my idea some time out of your day! :)

- Printiel

Posted Jan 3, 2021
    CheeseySF, usnic and Fusafez like this.
  2. Honestly I see where you're coming from but sadly I don't think it's a good idea. Ranked could possibly ruin cake wars. You can see what has happened to other games for an great example. The good players are gonna not want to play anymore since they don't always want to play competitively and just want to play for fun. Ranked games will make the atmosphere of cake wars totally different and not in a good way.
    Thanks,
    TCN14

Posted Jan 3, 2021
  3. That's why I'm suggesting it be added as a completely separate system. People could choose which one they wanted to play, like most ranked systems. I completely agree that just a ranked system wouldn't be a good idea, but if we had both it would potentially help out a lot.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 3, 2021
    Fallen, Jet Starglaze and CheeseySF like this.
  4. thread seems intended for bedrock

Posted Jan 3, 2021
    PlebAU and Printiel like this.
  5. That too!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 3, 2021
  6. Hello there!

I would like to say something about this post. What you're saying is currently true, sometimes there are other players who are just better than you, those who have better skills and experience with the game, not only that but it goes on to the choice on which device they're playing, since Minecraft Bedrock Edition is a cross platform edition of Minecraft, it means that there are players in the server who are playing in different devices such as PC, Mobile and Console. It's also difficult to play on these devices except for PC which is one of the biggest advantages in the server.

Now let's move on to the Ranked Mode, I assume this is kind of like a league of legends rank thing, playing and winning games grants you experience to level up through Ranked Mode and you get to a match with the same ranks as with other players, I would say this is definitely useful, however we have this thing called Leaderboards which measures players who has the most win of the top 100.

I definitely get what you're saying, there's just other players who are better than you and you want to match up with other players who are in the same skill level as you, however here in the Mineplex Bedrock server, we don't have a thing called Ranking Mode and we never had one for the last couple of years since the server started as from what I believe but I'm just sure we never had it.

Cake Wars is just it's own game and it should be, if you want to get better at the game, then you must play more and gain experiences, you also must practice and do some stuff that would improve your skills in the game, that's how every player gets to be better at the game, with ranking, there's no exact calculation whether the players you match up with will have the same skill level as you, some of them might just be in low rank but they have bigger skills or they're just pretending to be low but then they're way above you, instead of Ranking Mode, we already have Leaderboards which fits perfectly to see who is the most skilled player of all.

I believe I didn't made it clear enough but that's just what I wanted to say. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to message me at anytime! <3

Posted Jan 3, 2021
    Entidys_craft, Mothy and moppy like this.
  7. hello printiel !
    i see where you are going as for ranked games but i dont necessarily agree with it since a lot of "sweats" can be really toxic and its never fun playing with toxic people. and most of the times us "sweats" play against the new players so its easier wins for when we are grinding a game such as cake wars and micro battles. I get what you mean by skill level (like how hive kind of does that) and i can kinda agree with that and maybe split up mobile players and like pc so its more fair and not a full team of pc players vs mobile new players. as for when you say if you make it past the 3 minutes i suggest you point out what team is able to team wipe or able to kill like 2 people in a row so you can see if they are a "sweat" and you can kinda keep an eye out when they arent at base etc.

Posted Jan 3, 2021
    yvuggu, Ryan9116 and Aquaris like this.
  8. Giving a bigger incentive to win on a server with a bad anti cheat is not a good idea. Look at ranked skywars on hypixel (which has an even worse anti cheat); it’s FULL of cheaters.

Posted Jan 3, 2021
  9. I personally agree in terms of the idea itself and the need to give newer players a real experience in the game where they can actually learn the game. What someone said above about the "good players won't want to play anymore" is probably a fair assumption, although I don't think it's "not fun" but rather creates an uncompetitive atmosphere where the entire "ranked" community doesn't want to risk losing. Usually higher level or experienced players play to win and not to necessarily have fun; its easy to take advantage of people who legit just bought the game and have no clue what to do. Mostly due to social status on the server and it's implications on whether you are a good player or not. The thing is; "folding" is already a huge issue that ruins the game right now and makes the game extremely uncompetitive. All in all, I only see leaving the game as a fair choice if someone on another team is cheating. What you said about making ranked games in my view would make the game better for newer players; but create very extreme toxicity throughout the higher ranked players. Every game will be filled with e-dater immortal high levels with 10000000000 wins and the toxic behavior will eventually get to all players; and a good chunk will quit and move to another game (or in totality). Folding won't be a real option in this case since you will just end up in another game with good players and actually have to try. That's the thing that makes me want it more though; since you can't just leave a game because you're scared of losing. I mean I can't say i'm not guilty of it because the parties i've played with always do it. I'm not the one who leaves but again a cheater is the only good reason I would personally do that. Basically i'm kinda both ways on it. The real problem I see is how it will be implemented; the one thing I am 99% sure of is that there can't be a sort of "extra game mode" for ranked only lobbies. That would as people always say, "split the player base" in which mineplex doesn't have a huge player count.

I think a really good way to go about this is that when a party queues for a game, their stats are averaged and compiled in a way that tells the queue that the player has a high amount of wins or exp earned in the game and auto-matches with players of a similar caliber, this way, lobbies will be forced to naturally gather players of a skill set that is balanced. The queue would also reconsider factors like if you are in a party, are skilled in other pvp-based game modes, and so on. If you aren't in a party or have just joined the server; you would automatically be put into a lobby with people alike. One big problem though; bhoppers and blatant hackers are usually stolen accounts/comp accs in which just joined the server, meaning that the majority would simply get thrown into lobbies with new players. This would create a huge issue for new players, in which they would have a hacker or even several in a single game. There is a definite chance that an entire lobby could be all hackers. I guess that could be a good thing since it doesn't have a bigger effect than if there is a single hacker but in each game. The other problem with that same hacking scenario is that new players generally do not know how to report and also do not have proper access to staff request in order to get help. In a way, the hackers could essentially get away with hacking indefinitely until a player is lucky enough to stumble upon a staff member.

Regardless, hopefully something can be done to make the game more competitive. The best solution is simply to get more players on the server. In this way, there will naturally be more room to have a ranked area or give newer players less games where there are "professional" players.

Posted Jan 3, 2021,
    Last edited Jan 23, 2021
    Printiel likes this.
  10. Ranked CW sounds ok because of its player count, but ranked MB is not a good idea for 2 reasons:

1: Low player count
    2: A ranked mode wouldn’t be much different from what it is now, since there’s only so many games going on at one time, (Due to point 1) there’s already at least one or 2 sweats in each game.

I would go as far as to say that MB is the sweatiest game on Mineplex Bedrock Edition, so adding a ranked mode for it is just a waste of time for the developers.

A ranked mode in SW is also debatable in my opinion, but since I don’t frequent that game at the moment, I can’t really say anything about it.

Ranked CW sounds good though due to the player count and the skill gap - both of those are very small in SW and MB.

Also, if you’re having trouble with sweats in games, you need to analyze how they play the game. Do they rush teams regardless of how many players are on the team? Or are they “safety first” players? Do they know how to jump bridge or not? You can estimate how fast they can get to other islands with that info. This is all crucial information to winning CakeWars. You can beat someone who’s better then you at PvP if you’re smart about it. And if they’re smart? Then be stupid. It’ll throw them off guard. Just look at Dream. He doesn’t win manhunt through skill (though it may be a contributing factor). He wins it by being smart. The same goes for any type of game against a real life person. You will win no matter how good they are if you’re smarter then they are good.

Posted Jan 3, 2021,
    Last edited Jan 4, 2021
    Pogchamp 300000 and Printiel like this.
  11. It... is in MCO/Bedrock discussion?

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 4, 2021
    MC_Minium, Fallen and Jet Starglaze like this.

12. Your right I

Your right it could ruin the game and we can get false reports of people being too good.

And it gets super uncompetitive.

Posted Jan 23, 2021
  13. I agree with AK1r, I seems like a good idea at first, but it can get unfair.

Posted Jan 23, 2021
  14. Everyone has summed this up pretty well.

I think it would be fun, but difficult to ensure that players are acting 100% properly. Overall this is something I have forwarded to the GI team because I still think it has potential and we'll discuss this :)

Regards
    Isaac

Posted Jan 24, 2021
  15. Ranked would be a great idea in my opinion just don't make it the only way to play cakewars, because I don't always want to play tryhard. So make it a one month thing with awards for the winner and bring it back on holidays or special occasions for fun competitions.

Posted Feb 17, 2021
  16. Seems cool, there probaly should also be a way to play without it it though

Posted Feb 17, 2021
  17. It is a good idea but i think just like Hypixel rank skywars there would be a long of hackers and i know mineplex ac is not the best

Posted Feb 17, 2021
  18. i agree some of the time i get comboed and some of the time I combo, so when I'm running towards an enemy player I don't know how good they are good suggestion I totally agree

Posted Feb 17, 2021
  19. Well, nobody wants to play in Ranked except hackers and curious players because:
    The point of view for people who aren't as good: I don't want to play Ranked because it will be filled with sweats

The point of view for people who are ok: I also don't want to play Ranked because it will be filled with sweats

The point of view for sweats: I don't want to play Ranked because I want easy wins

The point of view for hackers: I want to play ranked because there's more a motive for hacking

Personally as someone who isn't too good I think that skill levels of all is a good thing, because it's diverse and keeps gameplay interesting. Plus we have no way to make this different because of the playerbase on Bedrock, compared to Java.

I'd also like to note that generally duos has more good players than fours.

Therefore, in the end, Ranked anything will die off at least in terms of pvp games. Aaaaand we're back to square one, but with no solutions left.

If we decided that we're going off stats, then players don't have the freedom to pick which gamemode they want to play in, so that won't work either.

Posted Feb 17, 2021
    Sorhu and Jet Starglaze like this.
  20. yeppp

Posted Feb 17, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.