• 465 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 8903 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Cake Wars Idea: Not actually applying but need your help!

Discussion in 'Build Showcase' started by Sheepishy, Sep 29, 2019.

?

Feedback?

1. Good

33.3%
  2. Need Development and this is why...

66.7%
  1. Hi All,

I'm new to building and have decided to challenge myself more and more with building. I hope to end up applying to be a builder and joining the team, helping out and exploring new themes! I built this cake wars map (cause I play a lot of it) and hoped for your feedback. BTW I'm not going to apply this map anytime soon as I need duos version as well. Just want to know if on right track. Criticism is acceptable here!

The theme: Drought (In Australia we're going through an awful drought)

Notes:
    1. There are vines, cobwebs, grasses and dead bushes in the map, I'm not sure what the rules are but I placed them for decoration.
    2. Everything I think is lined up (20 blocks)

Imgur: https://imgur.com/a/wpOG4vq

(Hopefully this works never tried this before)

Posted Sep 29, 2019
  2. Idk, to me it doesn't look that visually appealing with the structures. The ground and trees/waterfall are fine to me, but I'm not sure about the middle, emerald islands and buildings. You went more along the lines of "abandoned" imo with all the cobwebs and vines. The spawn islands (where people spawn in) don't really have any cover either. All around is just open and a fence pole to keep you safe from arrows. The shack should at least have some walls/sufficient cover. Dutty has also pointed out the roof for the shack looks pretty low, which I agree with.

Posted Sep 29, 2019
    SpookVegetables likes this.
  3. too flat

Posted Sep 29, 2019
  4. I like the idea, it has some promise but it needs a little work.

For starters the design and aesthetic look great, it really shows off the theme of the map. The side islands and the middle island look good however the team islands look a bit bland, perhaps try and spice them up a little, a few hills or something along those lines.

On a side note, the field of view on the camera makes it very hard to see some of the images, I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but it made judging the spawn islands very hard.

Posted Sep 29, 2019
    Sheepishy likes this.
  5. I pretty much agree here. The colors seem to clash a bit with the capture points, and it does look more like abandonment than a drought. The spawns need a bit more safety as well, fence posts or some columns

Posted Sep 29, 2019
    Sheepishy likes this.
  6. Heyo!

For starters, from what the images show I can tell you definitely have missed some of the data points (which is okay!) I recommend you viewing over THIS, as it will go through all of the data points needed for a Cake Wars map. Some quick things that would need to be changed would be the cake, and just a few other data points on the map as well. Middle also seems pretty big.

Aesthetically, the map looks somewhat pleasing, although it definitely could be improved. I am not a huge fan of cobwebs, as I can see some players being stuck in them and overall complaining about it. The vines also would most likely be able to be broken, so not much of a point with these (although it does look pretty nice). As for your drought theme, I don't see how these things would add up to a drought (grass, leaves, water, vines, etc.) and as Marzie said, it seems more abandoned than anything. Other than that, I like the block palette you've been able to use with this build!

Some other issues I neglected to mention - 1.14 blocks.
    Every cake wars map needs to be used with 1.8.9 blocks or below, so if you are able to do this, it would work out a lot better. I can see from the middle there is a lot of blocks that wouldn't work for the 1.8.9 users, so just keep that in mind when you're making maps.

Outers. I would recommend working on the tree a bit more, as usually the leaves go from biggest to smallest. Small things like this can affect your map, so I would recommend trying to make the trees more realistic. Maybe also adding some more blocks to it? It seems pretty small, so just more space could be nice as well.

Flat. This map is very flat, and needs more obstacles for a more playable map. It doesn't seem like there are very many holes, and overall everything is very flat. I would recommend adding rocks and things like that to symbolize a more drought feel, as well as just some more obstacles for this map.

Overall, it's a good start for a map. I like what you've created here, and it looks somewhat aesthetically pleasing. I would recommend not using shaders for your screenshots, just so you can get better feedback on your builds. Hopefully this helped you out, have a good day!

Posted Sep 29, 2019
    Sheepishy and Wiz_Techno like this.
  7. Thanks for the feedback Marzie,

It definitely seems like I have a long a way to go and thats fine by me :)
    --- Post updated ---
    Thanks for the feedback Night,

Yeah I don't really know how to showcase it either, its my first time properly building something! Yeah I agree with the team islands too, personally my least favourite of the map

Also once again thanks for feedback TooMuch,

I didn't even consider the 1.14 blocks haha, I should have mentioned that I don't intend on applying for an actual cakewars map, but more of a showcase? I know weird. Also I didn't clarify before but Drought in Australia doesn't always refer to cease of life, but more to abandonment. Many towns in rural Australia over history have gone to ruin cause people have up and left because droughts been too expensive. But everything else such as the trees, terrain are stuff I will intend to fix up so thank you :)

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 29, 2019
    TooMuchXMas4You likes this.
  8. I do live in Australia and it's pretty cool that you did choose the drought theme. As @Marzie mentioned above the colours and blocks you used doesn't really make it that appealing to the eye. I'd love it if you chose some different blocks may be added more unique shapes to the trees, (I would suggest adding big custom tree, small trees, and add branches to your trees, not just little stumps. I do see that this is only an idea but it would be great if you added some more detail to this map because no offense and all but it just looks like a flat base with some different textures and trees/obstacles around the place. If you take this feedback and adapt your build with it I assure you that it will look much nicer. Nonetheless best luck on your build!

Posted Sep 29, 2019
    Sheepishy and TooMuchXMas4You like this.
  9. Hey,

So the map itself looks pretty nice. You went with a theme: drought, and really took that to heart in the creation. The color palette matches the theme quite nicely. I like how you incorporated the desert-like theme without making it look too ugly or brown. It has the right balance it's good for aesthetic purposes (@DivinePegasi yeah I still can't spell aesthetic autocorrect did it for me lol).
    My critique of the map is the fact that it's too flat. Like others have mentioned, gameplay has to have a good balance between being flat enough to be playable, but having enough obstacles and y-level changes so it's not insanely easy to get to wherever you're trying to go.
    I really do like the idea and initial creation of the map. With a few tweaks and maybe getting more feedback on it with those tweaks, I think it has a pretty good chance of being on the network.

Thanks,
    Techno

Posted Sep 29, 2019
    Sheepishy and TooMuchXMas4You like this.