• 2890 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 6188 Players Online
  • 3298 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Cake Wars Has Some Issues (And Mineplex Bedrock as Well)

Discussion in 'Cake Wars' started by Ganvyr, Jul 23, 2020.

?

In your opinion, the criticisms of Cake Wars in this thread are:

1. Useful and generally would improve player experience

68.2%
  2. Are not worthwhile and an inefficient use of Bedrock's limited developer resources

4.5%
  3. Mixed. Some would improve experience while others are a waste of developer resources

27.3%
  1. Hello. I'm Ganvyr.

I've been played Mineplex's Cake Wars for some time now, and I've really enjoyed the game thus far. However, I've encountered many issues throughout my play time. Now, while I've only been a member of these forums for a month or so, I've been a part of Mineplex for many years at this point. While I started on Java, I moved over to Bedrock for a more casual experience. I'm not a die hard PvP player. However, even with my minor involvement with the PvP scene, I began to take attention to more and more glaring flaws in the Cake Wars Bedrock experience. So I decided to summarize my thoughts in this thread. The observations will be put it in a numbered list, from what I believe to be more important, to least important. Don't take this list as a concrete improvement plan to Mineplex. It's a mixed list of criticisms and suggestions to help guide players and staff to their own conclusions about Cake Wars. I've included a poll to gauge player response and reception, so take that if you wish. You can also comment if you have more thoughts. Let's start.

--------------------------

1. The Report System

It's no secret that Mineplex Bedrock is plagued with hackers, and within a few games, it's likely to find yourself in a game with hacked items/a hacker them self. In each instance, it completely ruins the experience for the 9-15 other players in the game. The only way to report rule breakers is to have a screen recorder readily accessible, actually record the infraction, upload the video onto YouTube, Drive, or other websites, which is very painful. Especially considering if players are on Mobile, Nintendo, Switch, or Xbox One, they might not have software available to them, and uploading onto YouTube on those devices is either difficult or impossible. A /report command is not only sorely needed, but could easily solve the issue, and is probably the most important command needed in Bedrock. To find a more in-depth (and longer) thread, go here.

2. The Party System

This shouldn't even be an issue, but somehow it is. While partying with another player and getting in the same game is easy, getting on the same team isn't. Common logic would say, "If two people are partied, they would want to be on the same team!" But somehow, you aren't automatically placed on the same team. Both of the players have to spam a sheep in the hope they both get on the team (which is hard), and furthermore, they have to hope that Cake Wars won't randomly make them switch teams right before the game starts. Now I understand there was a revamp recently to the party system, but either bugs/glitches/oversights still occur.

3. Teams/Kits

This is going to be short. When you select a team, many times it changes your team right before the beginning of a game. I understand changing the teams of players who haven't chosen a specific team, but to those who chose their specific team, allow them to keep their team. Kits are also not fun. The Kit you select never stays as your default. It switches back to Warrior every time, so every game you have to select your specified kit.

4. Player Health

This is a more simple but incredibly useful suggestion. Either underneath a player's gametag, or in chat when the player is hit, display the amount of hearts that player has remaining so players can understand what kind of fight they're getting into.

5. Ender Pearls

Sometimes, Ender Pearls just don't land . You're teleported there for just a second, and then you're flung back to from whence you came. While this is a rarer occurrence, it does not go unnoticed when a game is lost to the bug.

6. Achievements

I'm not sure if I already completed all of them, or there were none to begin with, but achievements in Cake Wars are just not there (or were not tailored to long-term players). I would suggest adding achievements like the ones in Sky Wars, like "Kill 40 Players" or "Win 10 Games." That could really help encourage players to continue the game.

7. Chat Improvements

There are simple changes that could really improve the usefulness of the chat in game. I will use a lettered list to explain.

a. When someone is killed with a sword/bow with sharpness or power, it should not say <Player1 was killed by Player2 with Ench Dmg> A more useful message to understand the power of a player is to say <Player1 was killed by Player2 with Diamond Sword> with (Shrp 1) or (Ench).
    b. When a cake is eaten, print <Player1 ate Team1's cake. Team1 can no longer respawn>. The player should be named so the oppossing team can enact their undying revenge.
    c. When a point is captured, mention the player that captured the point. e.g. <Red Team lost an Emerald Point>. Then, <Player1 has captured an Emerald Point>, with the player's name highlighted with their team's color.

Edit: The /help command is practically useless. Try typing it in lobby. You'll receive commands for Mixer (which is discontinued) and commands to switch pages in the help menu. But there's only 1 page in the help menu. This page doesn't list any useful commands (like /findgame), so many players are left in the dark until they see a tip with a command.

These are minor.

8. Gems

Is it just me, or do Cake Wars games reward you almost no gems whatsoever? You get gems for participation, kills, and victory. However, no matter how many kills I get, if I lose, I usually get 1 gem. If I win, I get 11. That's just pitiful compared to what Sky Wars, Mob Arena, and other games give you. Give a player 10 Gems for eating a Cake, 2 Gems for each kill, 2 Gems for a capture of an emerald point, 5 Gems for Middle. And give them 20 for victory. Cake Wars should reward players at least 2x what Sky Wars gives you (usually 40 for a good game). However, because of respawning, Cake Wars games are much longer, but they reward you 1/4 of the Gems? That doesn't make much sense. This is easily fixable.

9. Particle Effects

A simple way to reward/give feedback to a player when they complete a task is to give off a firework sound/visual when capturing a point, getting a team upgrade. or eating another team's cake. Similar to Cake Wars in Java. This is probably just a quality of life change that serves no core purpose. However, one use for particle effects is for judging when someone captures an emerald/middle point. Instead of looking in chat to see when the beacon is fully captured, they can rely on the sound and visual of a firework. (Again, this is very minor.)

Note: For some reason, the particle effect for haste is just black? This might just be a bug.

-----------------------------------------

Edit: Find it under "Chat Improvement." Forgot to add it.

These are just some of my thoughts. I understand there are more issues I may have neglected to mention in this thread, so either PM me or comment here so I can know. Thanks for reading I guess? I know it was a bit long. Sorry about that.

P.S. (Don't ask me how to pronounce my gametag. I don't even know how to.)

Posted Jul 23, 2020,
    Last edited Jul 23, 2020
  2. These are very good points and can give some quality of life changes that will improve everyone's experience with cakewars

Posted Jul 23, 2020
    Diego0160 likes this.
  3. Sadly we ain't getting any updates anytime soon since there is currently no Bedrock developers remaining, as they have all resigned. Nevertheless, you have good ideas and it would be nice to see them added.

Posted Jul 23, 2020
  4. @WowTamman
    It's pretty disappointing, isn't it? Mineplex, as a server, could really benefit from updates, fixes, and improvements.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 23, 2020
    Diego0160 likes this.
  5. yeah, but the future of mineplex seems bleak atm unless they can find another bedrock developer

Posted Jul 23, 2020
  6. I really agree, especially the hacker part and the parties, I mean like it's almost everytime I join a game there is at least a hacker. And in parties, having to select a team AND equip kits in fifteen seconds is just not good for the experience.

Posted Jul 27, 2020
    Diego0160 likes this.
  7. I understand/agree with all of these. And they should be added. Though heres what would my number 10 +11.

There is a way to fix the small skins. If you go on the nethergames server, you'll see that all skins that aren't custom, are colored blobs. You can probably impliment something like that into Mineplex

Because of the whole "CPS=reach in bedrock" Mobile, Xbox/PS and Pc should be seperated. Either that or a huge CPS cap

Posted Aug 2, 2020
    Diego0160 and Ganvyr like this.
  8. @sckelodon
    1. I wish that mini skins (such as yoda) were not allowed and would immediately revert your skin back to something else. However, because the baby yoda skin is made my Mojang Studios, and Mineplex is a Minecraft partner, they can’t ban/restrict skin usage. They have to make lenience for the Marketplace. I can point you to this thread for an explanation from staff.

2. I haven’t heard of CPS = Reach on Bedrock before. Could you point me to a thread or article that elaborates on the subject? Thanks. Good ideas.

-Ganvyr

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Aug 2, 2020
    sckelodon likes this.
    Posted Aug 2, 2020
  10. Oops forgot to add something. Though i don't have an article about it, it becomes quite apparent in nethergames bedwars. The ip is, play.nethergames.org

Posted Aug 2, 2020
  11. 100% agree with all of it.

Posted Aug 2, 2020
  12. Kind of like how galaxite requires a custom skin, but since Mineplex is such a popular server on bedrock, it would only really have a small chance if they had like tons of avatars that people would have to choose.

Posted Aug 8, 2020 at 1:38 AM