• 343 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2922 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Bystanders to Upstanders

Discussion in 'New Game Discussion' started by Lavq, Jan 18, 2020.

?

Yay or nay

1. Yay

2. Nay

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Since the release of NANO games, we as the Mineplex community have not seen a new permanent game. We have however, seen many temporary or seasonal games that I feel could be put to use in different circumstances. When I say this, I mean games like Area51 Raid which was out for two weeks and now the coding and all the work that was put into this game is no longer going to be used. So my proposition is to effectively use all the work that has been put into Mineplex games in order to branch off into new games.

To start when making a new game game designers must ask themselves what is the goal of this game? This goal is normally to attract a player base to the server and keep the current community members entertained with new games. I can’t help but ask myself, what if we could do that and also send a positive message? I was recently thinking about how Area51 Raid was a very popular game mode, and obviously as time went on the playerbase did go down, however, there were more players playing Area 51 than cake wars. Now that this game mode is long gone, we could potentially use the game design to create a new one.

With this idea of sending a positive message in mind, what message would we like to send? Is there any issues in today’s modern middle and high schools where the majority of our community comes from? Answering these questions could bring up a million different messages but the one I think of, is how bullying in schools is a major issue especially on the LGBTQ+ community. I think we can use the area51 Raid mechanics to make a fun new game that sends the positive message of how to stand up for others who are getting bullied.

From this insightful thought process I came up with the game “Bystanders to Upstanders”.
    How would this work?

Teams:

There would be two teams. Blue team would be the upstanders. I title them the upstanders because we are trying to send the message of teaching kids to turn from bystanders to upstanders. Their objective would be to save Sad Carl the creeper and bring him home safely to his mother. The other team would be the bullies. Their objective would be to keep Sad Carl the creeper in the locker room away from his loving mother for the duration of the game.

Team Size:

Blue team (Upstanders): 32 players

Red team (Bullies): 8 players

How the lessons will be taught:

For the red team (Bullies) there will be messages in chat shown about the repercussions about what could happen if Sad carl the creeper tells his loving mother. There will also be a message at the end of the game saying “The bullies have been sent expelled”.

The blue team (Upstanders) is quite clear how we teach the lesson by them going to attempt and save Sad Carl the creeper from being bullied. The effort is what counts here- that alone can teach the lesson of becoming an upstander.

Kits:

For the blue team there will be two different kits. Both of these kits will spawn with a bully beater ( Gold Sword) and no armor. Upon death blue team will respawn immediately.

1. Bystander- You will have the ability to break iron bars every 30 seconds in order to get to Sad Carl the creeper who is getting bullied in the locker room.

2. Upstander- You will have the ability to double jump every 8 seconds in order to help Sad carl the creeper escape. The reason this is titled upstander is to show how much more useful being an upstander can be to accomplish the goal.
    The red team will have one kit.

1. Meanie- This kit will be armed with iron armor and a paintball gun that will resemble a spitball. This kit will kill a player in 4 hits. Upon death players on the red team will have to walk back from the principal's office which will be located on the other side of red’s turf from the locker room.

Changes from Area 51 raid:

Carl the Creeper is renamed to Sad Carl the creeper.

The helicopter is turned into Sad Carl the creepers home with his loving mother.

Add a spot on the left hand side of the map on red’s side to become the principal's office where the bullies respawn.

Change the map name to “School”.

The messages when the “chopper was acquired” will be changed to messages about the bullies have been expelled...etc.

Similar game mechanics:

When a upstander kills a bully, the upstander is given a grenade that can be used to open the iron bars.

Bullies have the ability to right click iron bars to temporarily remove it.

The game will last 8 minutes.

Pvp will be the same.

Texture pack (because the grenades which actually come from “explosive” apples)

Thank you for looking over my idea. I put a lot of time and effort into coming up with this idea and writing it out. Please comment down below your thoughts on this game.

Posted Jan 18, 2020,
    Last edited Jan 18, 2020
  2. kinda pog

Posted Jan 18, 2020
    saltyfishhy and vezay like this.
  3. Hi there
    I've really enjoyed A51 and really loved that the whole community came together and had a lot of fun.
    And yes, I agree with you, I think that the code shouldn't go to waste and that they should re purpose it and this is one great way they could do it.
    Overall I like the idea, just, what would the xp be like?
    +1 from me!

Posted Jan 18, 2020
    KilledByVoid and powh like this.
  4. +1 definitely need a school shooter game

Posted Jan 18, 2020
  5. I would say that the exp would be around 1200-1500 per win for an 8 minute game as a Upststander. Because I feel that kids should be rewarded for being an Upstander by stopping the meanies. If you are a meanie however, I would say a little less maybe 800.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 18, 2020
    FluteVegetables and Daxa like this.
  6. This game's intention is not to have a "school shooter" game. However, we could look at this as a school shooter prevention game by being an upstander!

OP OP
  7. upstanders 4L
    +1

Posted Jan 18, 2020
  8. AYEEE les go bestie

Posted Jan 18, 2020
    REALLYTIRED likes this.
  9. Not what I’m trying to say either however it would be a nice addition to the server in my opinion to have a ‘meaningful’ game

OP OP
    FluteVegetables likes this.
  10. I personally have been feelings immensely insecure on the Mineplex Network recently! Due to players and even staff being unfair towards me and being very immature about who I am :( I would feel so much better about myself if Mineplex released an acceptance game... but as a player who has played Mineplex so for long ! I think the standard 2600 EXP for a win on Area 51 wasn't enough.. I think to attract more players we should give 10,000 EXP per win, this would motivate people to spend more time playing this game about acceptance!
    Lovely Post
    +1

-Mars(That one NON-TOXIC Mineplexian!)

Posted Jan 18, 2020
  11. 100% i agree, this post right here is probably the best ive ever seen

Posted Jan 18, 2020
  12. I appreciate your input and your views about how this game works. I’m glad to see there’s so much support for this idea :D

OP OP
    lumenium likes this.
  13. Maybe the sword should not be called the "Bully Beater" as that might not send the best message.

Posted Jan 18, 2020
  14. Honestly fair point. My intention was to send the message of beating bullying. I can see how this can send A negative physical message. Maybe something more like the ‘bully overcomer’!

OP OP
  15. for another idea i feel if you reach a certain achievement for this game mode you can get a weapon name which would be pretty cool

Posted Jan 18, 2020
  16. I love this idea too!

OP OP
    lumenium likes this.
  17. I like this a lot and think it would be a great game for Mineplex to add. As you mentioned, they wouldn't have to code a brand new game and instead they would just have to tweak the Area 51 game. I also like how the game can inform people about bullying and the "good guys" are the ones who prevent bullying. You would definitely see me grinding this if they made this into a game.
    +1

Posted Jan 19, 2020
    Lavq likes this.
  18. Hi there!

This game seems super interesting I would love to see this game come into the server! It looks really fun and I think a lot of players would play it. I just don't personally like some of the kits and I wouldn't so much seeing the game be the same but otherwise this seems like a super cool game! Thanks for hearing me out I'll be giving this a +0.5

Good luck on the rest of your suggestions!

Posted Jan 19, 2020
    lumenium and Lavq like this.
  19. Sounds like an interesting idea, +1 as long as it isnt exp grindable like the game you mentioned above

Posted Jan 19, 2020
  20. Overall, it seems sort of.. cheesy? The message of 'We need to stop bullying' feels overused, at least for me anyway. The weapon's name is anti-bullying, the name of the game is anti-bullying, the game ends in anti-bullying action, the objective of the game is to stop anti-bullying, the victim's name is there to illustrate the effect of bullying etc. The premise feels overused.

You mentioned that the golden sword weapon name would be 'Bully Beater'. Ignoring the implication that the only way to beat cruelty is to bludgeon children until they die, there's a problem. If a user has a gold weapon name selected, what happens to the weapon's name?

If the weapon still stays as 'Bully Beater', it takes away from the value of the weapon name cosmetics, but if it changes to the user's gold weapon name, then it takes away a USP of the game.

And you gave the Bullies a gun. A gun. Enough said. We aren't trying to create school shooters.

I'm assuming the gun would work like a Super Paintball gun, and not not a Minestrike gun. Minestrike guns are too realistic, and like before, we don't want to make school shooters.

The Super Paintball guns can 1v4 easily, and I've seen rounds where one person with a shotgun killed 10 players. Note that these guns excell at close range.

The strategy of the Upstand is to rush the Bullies with their swords, because swords aren't exactly long-range. So, the teams are: One guy with no armour and a gold sword, versus a guy with a 4-shot rifle in full iron. Guess who wins.

And although there are 4x as many Upstanders as there are Bullies, even in a 4v1 the Bully has the upper hand, and in a fast-paced game like this I doubt the Upstanders will have time to co-ordinate and attack in groups.

So it seems like there's a balancing issue as well.

Finally, the Bystander kit seems redundant. An Upstander can break iron bars with a grenade A grenade? Seriously? I thought we didn't want school shooters. It seems like I was wrong when they kill a Bully, so what purpose does the Bystander kit have? They can only break bars every 30 seconds, and I guarantee that with a game of 40 players, one Upstander will kill a Bully faster than a Bystander can wait to be able to break bars again.

All in all, the game has the right intentions, but it needs quite a bit of work. I hope people can come up with solutions / counter-arguments to the problems I've outlined.

Posted Jan 19, 2020
    xSusieLove and xGetRektedx like this.