• 1326 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 8144 Players Online
  • 6818 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Boredom and Variety

Discussion in 'Game Alterations' started by crazygeek516, Feb 7, 2020.

?

Do you believe that these choices would improve Block Hunt?

1. Choice #1 would improve BH.

15.8%
  2. Choice #2 would improve BH.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Both choices would improve BH.

78.9%
  4. Neither choice would improve BH.

5.3%
  1. Recently, it seems as though many players have been getting bored of Block Hunt. Although much of this may be due to people using ESP and ghosting with alts, I believe that map variation is also a major issue. Currently, certain maps are almost always chosen over others due to favoring one team (which map gets chosen largely depends on how many hunter/hider mains there are). Due to this, specific maps get overplayed, resulting in a relatively boring experience after one plays a certain amount of BH. To counter this, I have two potential ideas, and I believe that implementing either one of them, or potentially even both, would fix the issue. I don’t know exactly how Mineplex’s map voting system works, so this may not be possible, but I believe that:

1) Voting for maps could be removed from Block Hunt. Although voting for maps has been part of Mineplex for a long time, I feel as though it is not fitting in Block Hunt. It leads to the overplaying of maps, eventually resulting in boredom. When certain maps appear, people almost always vote for them. For example, when there are many hider mains, Atlantis or Eclipse Town are almost always chosen. When there are many hunter mains, Market or Museum are almost always chosen. By removing voting, the maps played would be mixed up more, creating an experience that does not bore one as fast as the current system. Simply adding more maps, as has been done lately, does not often make a significant impact. Many maps are not chosen after their novelty wears down, making the time that went into them a waste. The removal of map voting would make these maps be played more, increasing the effectiveness of adding new maps.

2) Each map should have variants. These would not need to be significantly different than the already existing maps, but could have block piles in different places, or individual buildings could be added, removed, expanded, relocated, etc. Significant differences that stick to the same theme as the original map would be more beneficial, but this may be too much work for the Build Team. However, this would not be of much help if each variant could be clearly voted for. Removing voting, or having each variant have the same name (so that one cannot tell the difference while voting), would make this method effective. Ideally, block piles would be randomized each time, but this may require too much dev time. The complete randomization of block piles (in size/shape, assuming enough variants) would also help to make ESP easier to spot for the RC when determining ESP bans, as people could no longer claim to have memorized the piles.

Each of these changes would have the potential to add more variety to Block Hunt in a way that additional maps do not offer.

Posted Feb 7, 2020
    afterfive, Crash, Mr_Ant87 and 6 others like this.
  2. Wow! I believe that this is a VERY innovative suggestion! I believe that MANY BlockHunt players would ENJOY these additions! I think that BOTH choices would offer GREAT improvements to BlockHunt!

As a hunter main, I am VERY guilty of CONSTANTLY voting for The Museum and The Market! HOWEVER, my BEST friend OWOpinkCUTIEhot constantly votes for ATLANTIS and ECLIPSE TOWN! I AGREE that it would be GOOD to DEMOLISH the voting system! Different maps in other games do NOT make it easier for one team over the other, but BLOCKHUNT is a DIFFERENT story! It is very EASY to win on The Museum and The Market as a HUNTER, and VERY easy to WIN on Atlantis as a HIDER! BlockHunt should CERTAINLY go back to its OLD randomized map selecting!

The second idea is ALSO very good! Different block piles and/or buildings would be a FANTASTIC addition to this AWESOME game! It would make it MUCH easier to catch CHEATERS, and that would be VERY good, because cheaters are NOT kind!

I hope that my reply has been VERY helpful and KIND! I hope you have a VERY good day!

Posted Feb 7, 2020
  3. I like these ideas, but I think they could be improved upon.

For the map voting section, I feel like a good way to combat this is just make voting for the same maps over and over again impossible. Just make it so you can vote for the same map twice in a row, then the third time the map won't show up. What could also be done is, after the second vote, make that map not appear in the vote screen for another like 3 rounds.

For the map variants, I think this would be a cool idea and would work against players memorizing the map. I also think a cool thing to do would be to randomize the time of day in every map, or just make map variants like Riverwood Night or Thames Square Dawn or some such.

Posted Feb 7, 2020
    SummerIsFun2, mab8400 and CZArkolan like this.
  4. I really like these ideas. I do think that map voting could be removed. While rearranging items every time would make the game more difficult and fun I do think that it could encourage people to use hacks such as ESP since it will be harder to find people. However, I do think the good outweighs the bad.

Posted Feb 7, 2020
    CZArkolan and crazygeek516 like this.
  5. Personally let's just get some day night variants and maybe weather variants like rain or snow, the rain hurts hiders :P

Posted Feb 7, 2020
  6. I really like this idea, maybe throughout the game, there could be "storms" where hiders and or hunters have to try and stay inside

Posted Feb 7, 2020
    FluteVegetables and CZArkolan like this.
  7. Oh my GOODNESS! That sounds like a WONDERFUL addition! HOWEVER, I fear that it will NOT be liked, because BlockHunt is a "CASUAL" game! However, I know that it is NOT casual, because I have frequent heated DEBATES with GooeyNooey about SOCKS in the chat! That is NOT a casual action! But I DO think that STORMS would be a COOL addition, MAYBE they could only happen if they were VOTED ON or NOT! HOWEVER, that would ALSO destroy the removal of the voting for maps, which would be UNINTELLIGENT!

But I digress! I think that crazygeek516's original idea is AMAZING, and should DEFINITELY be CONSIDERED!

Posted Feb 7, 2020
    FluteVegetables likes this.
  8. I think both choices would improve BH. Voting to be removed would be nice as people vote for the same maps over and over again. As for block piles being randomized, that would be lovely as to determine if one is using ESP or not.

Posted Feb 7, 2020
    mab8400, CZArkolan and crazygeek516 like this.
  9. I agree with the fact that there's many maps that are always favorited over other underrated maps. It's a bummer sometimes when the same four to six maps are repeated, such as Atlantis, Riverwood, or Eclipse Town. When I first joined Block Hunt, there were only eight maps available. I did enjoy the rotation of maps without voting having to take place, but currently there's nearly more than double the amount of maps. I think removing the map voting sounds like a good idea on paper, but reverting back to the way the old system with maps being automatically chosen could be a problem to get to your favorite maps, as there are nearly 16-18? maps in rotation.

Maybe there could be a compromise where there can only be three maps to vote for at a time, rather than the current five, so it can go through about six or seven? rotations, so that maps won't be played over and over.

I feel like altering maps is an okay idea, but I feel that editing every map would ruin the nostalgia that these maps hold dear to us. I'm still bitter about the alterations to Thames Square. In Riverwood's case, this was a map that needed editing as lilypads were trapping players. Unless it's a small bug or gameplay fix, maps do not need to be edited. Even if it's to just rearrange blocks and rotations, I think it would be a sloppy execution.

Posted Feb 8, 2020
  10. I don't think voting for maps should be removed completely, however I do agree that something should be done to vary up the map selection a bit. Ideally the maps would all be balanced well so there would be no need for this, but given that task is very difficult to achieve, I instead think that whatever map is chosen for one round does not show up in the vote for at least the next round, maybe 2-3 rounds after that.

The second point is a great idea and is one that I'd love to see implemented. The map variations would mean players would have to constantly adapt to their surroundings on a higher degree than what we currently, and make games less reliant on memorization alone. Of course you'd have to figure out a way to have these variations defined as variations and not as their own entire map, as that'd throw things off a bit. I think the way to do it would have the map (or I guess setting in this case) chosen by the vote, and then a variation (the actual map you play on) is randomly selected by the server at the start of the game? I'm not sure though I don't know too much about that sort of thing.

Tl;dr +0.75

Posted Feb 8, 2020
  11. Many people, both on this thread and in game, seem to agree that point #1 could instead involve making it so that you cannot vote for a map that has been selected until a certain number of games pass. I believe this could be a great alternative to my point, but it would have to be done in a certain way in order to be effective. There are three main methods that have been suggested to me for this:

1) Make it so that the map selected will not appear in the voting menu for about 3 games.

I personally believe that three games would not be enough, as people could loop through maps that are beneficial to the team they wish to play. For example, Hunters may choose Thames -> Museum -> Market -> repeat, with another hunter-favorite map as a backup in case one of these does not appear. There are currently 19 maps in the game, so a delay of 5-6 rounds would still allow for a good amount of choice while minimizing the chance of loops.

2) Make it so that any map that appears in the voting menu will not appear for the next 1-2 rounds.

I believe that this would work quite well, as it forces one to put thought into which map they would like to play and reduces the risk of loops.

3) Reduce the number of choices in the voting menu.

This would greatly reduce the chance of repeating maps and getting loops of maps that favor one team while still allowing a great deal of choice for the player.

Any of these choices may be a good compromise between having the ability to play one's favorite maps and playing a variety of maps.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Feb 8, 2020
    CZArkolan likes this.
  12. Fun fact, normally you aren’t intended to do that! I was told it should be treated as a big over a year ago, report has been made and accepted.... but nothing happened! It would actually be nice to see that around!

Overall, I feel like removing completely voting would be overkill as there’s still a few maps players would rather avoid most of times, and forcing them on the player might make them quit the game. However I’m a fan of Ant’s idea where a map cannot come back at least 3 votes after it is being played, that would be a great balance!

Map variation would be sooo cool if it was around. I don’t know how hard it would be to implement, I’d agree it would probably make it a bit hard for the build team to deal with however it would definitely be worth it in the end as you could play the same map without being bored as it would vary up! And ofc no one learning map by hearts anymore.

As for reducing the number of vote, I think it’s not really needed as it’s better to have more choice, especially if in the selection you’re sure to not be able to play the most recent maps again!

-1 for removing map voting but +1 for making it so that you can’t have the same maps 3 games in a row. +1 for map variations! :D

Posted Feb 8, 2020
    CZArkolan, crazygeek516 and powh like this.
  13. Hello there,
    First of all, I doubt implementing the second idea you brought up would be possible. In the past we have seen that different maps, with the same name can mess up each other (see "Exorcism" for NANO). However, I will still bring it up in the map issues team, although I doubt we will change something here. It is just pretty high effort and I'm not sure if its the best idea as it might be confusing to new players too.
    The first idea sounds more realistic, I think it would make more sense to just add a system which simply doesnt allow the same maps to show up multiple times in a row. And at the same time I doubt this would get a high priority on the list of things the devs have to do so I don't know.
    Generally the build team is trying to balance all maps as good as possible, without fully changing them or removing them (see Atlantis, where a big part of the map was removed, but also Thames Square and Treasure Cavern where new unique spots were added to the map). Whenever I am working on block hunt maps I am trying to make them as unique as possible and different as possible. At the same time there is the same guidelines for all maps and you can't make hugeee differences, I could explain this further right now but I don't think I should but oh well.

I will forward your second idea to the map issues team and discuss it further there with the team members! For the first one you will probably have to wait for Ideas Team to review this as it is nothing the Build Team could change! I hope I was able to help.

Have a nice day.
    ~powh

Posted Feb 8, 2020
  14. This would also be really great.
    I still think it would be nice if there were variants that just screwed with the exact placement of certain things, could be a nice touch.

Posted Feb 8, 2020
    CZArkolan likes this.
  15. Thank you for forwarding it even if it may not be possible!

If maps with the same names tend to mess things up, perhaps Ant's idea would be more possible?

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Feb 8, 2020
    CZArkolan likes this.
  16. The recent release of Immortal has, in my opinion, added further reason to remove or change voting in Block Hunt. Since Immortals have increased map vote priority, their vote can cause more biased maps to be chosen than before (due to them voting for certain maps when they want to hunt, and other maps when they want to hide). Although the increased map vote priority for Immortals is small, small changes can have drastic effects. The small increase in priority may very easily result in there being even less of a variety of maps played, eventually leading to boredom. Although I understand that Immortal does need such perks as incentive so that people buy it, I feel as though Block Hunt is being drastically harmed in the process. Anyone who primarily plays Block Hunt may get bored of the lack of variety, eventually causing them to leave the server. New players that happen to play Block Hunt first may think that this lack of variety is reflective of the server, causing them to quit without seeing the other wonderful games Mineplex has to offer.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Feb 12, 2020