• 935 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 7911 Players Online
  • 6976 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Blue - Dragons

Discussion in 'Build Showcase' started by I Suck At Building.mp3, Apr 9, 2021.

1. https://imgur.com/a/WVnZInj

Any good dragons players?

It would only make sense to make a map called "Blue" because there are 2 maps called "Pink" and another one called "violet"

Trees are based of Fantasy blue trees but smaller

Ignore the huge glowstone wall, I like keeping my builders refuge plots private smh (will be in a different world later)

Posted Apr 9, 2021
    Paladise and siee like this.
  2. I can't really see the map very well from the pics provided
    But from the looks of it, it doesn't look too bad. But it looks a little thin IMO. The island would get destroyed quickly. So maybe add more thickness to the island or even another side island. If you provide better pics of the player islands I will give better feedback :D

Posted Apr 9, 2021
    Paladise likes this.
  3. The middle island is THONK (you just can't really see it that well from the pictures) the ring island is not very THONK Pyrotechnics can utilize the ring island, marksmen and leapers can ultilze the trees and middle island

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 9, 2021
  4. The island is very one tone. The trees are very sparse and the dragon island looks kinda funky. The spikes don't make sense. The rocks aren't very organic and the island doesn't help. The pallete is also super disorganized. The map is also not very thick. Your trees to me also look like decaying bonzai trees. Add more leaves and maybe structure them a little different. I suggest looking at IceRock's trees.

Posted Apr 9, 2021
    Paladise likes this.
  5. Well I mean the map is called "Blue" That's kind of why everything is blue. Again, blue fantasy trees, are they natural? No. Do they look cool? Yes.

The map is pretty thick besides the ring island, If you didn't already know, It's meant to be like a C O L D map That's why blocks like snow and ice are used

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 9, 2021
  6. You can build a blue fantasy tree and make it look organic/natural

Posted Apr 9, 2021
    Paladise likes this.
  7. My point still stands.

Posted Apr 9, 2021
    Paladise likes this.
  8. What other kind of lightblue blocks should I use? I've already used most of them (besides lapis) Lapis looks ugly Blue fantasy trees have a light blue colour to them so I mean

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 9, 2021
  9. Add more fluff to the trees and give it more texture, they look very flat rn not change the blocks used but the amount used

Posted Apr 9, 2021
    collins. and Paladise like this.
  10. My point does aswell

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 9, 2021
  11. No it doesn't. This entire build feels like a mess. In retrospective you can't just name something blue, make everything blue and say look it makes sense because of the theme.

Posted Apr 9, 2021
  12. It would make it harder for archers since they use trees for their advantage

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 9, 2021
  13. Because the theme is literally blue

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 9, 2021
  14. I actually really like this map!

Posted Apr 9, 2021
  15. Uhhh Collins and bear are 100% right in my opinion. If you post something in build showcase be open to the feedback given, instead of instantly denying it, especially to Collins who has experience getting maps accepted. I am personally not a fan of all of the blue. I understand the theme is “blue” but something about the palette looks super strange to me. And also the map looks super thin, so add more layers. Overall pretty good start though, can’t wait to see what you end up doing with it!

Posted Apr 10, 2021
  16. I never said bears feedback was bad, I also never said collins feedback was bad either, I pointed out some of the stuff he got confused with. Ring island is useful to pyrotechnics. Any other kit would utilize the trees and middle island. I didn't provide pictures below of the islands but the middle island is pretty thick. I asked mab8400, a dragons player with over 1k+ wins and he said he had no problems with the map at all.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 10, 2021
  17. Hi :) For starters you should provide way more pictures, it's useful to see the map from a distance but close-ups are really important as well.

Overall I think the map is really well done but there can be some slight improvements made to it, some of which others already mentioned above.

For the map structure, I suggest you'd have the ring go all around the main island, not just the front. Alternatively you can break up the ring and simply make it separate islands for some more area to walk on + extra space for aesthetics.

You also use quite a lot of staircasing in the terrain which you should get rid of. It makes the island look pretty strange (mainly seen on the ring part). Make it go out more in a more circular shape (or, once again, have it all as separate little islands).

As for the aesthetics, the trees look weird on the ring. You can make them a little bit taller and bushier as suggested above, maybe eliminating one of the blocks from the tree pallets and focusing on getting the leaves right. A good trick I learned when making trees is to first build a big spherical shape and then //replace it with some leaves and a small percent of air. This makes it that good bit bushier which may seem like an issue in terms of players getting stuck and whatnot, but you can just go over it then and fix any potential errors. Overall, it wouldn't be a problem.

Now for the aesthetics - I really like the spikes, I think they're a super cool detail. But maybe you could add more snow, like a snowy path, or some flowers - once again close-up pictures would be awesome because I can't really see the detail you put. You could also maybe add a little cottage or something to add to the theme with snow on it as well.

Overall, I think it's a really good first draft. Don't worry about the criticism, it's all to help you and the map and isn't meant to be negative. Try to apply it as best as you can and then don't forget to update us!!

You can also join the Mineplex Discord if you would like and join the Building Club. That way you have access to a building channel and you can post pictures in there too and people can help you as you build.

Posted Apr 10, 2021
    Paladise likes this.
  18. its small but looks good

Posted Apr 10, 2021
  19. I mean, dragons guidelines say make the map small.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 10, 2021
  20. Hello!

I love the general aesthetics of this map! The color pallet selected does a fantastic job reflecting the theme choice of blue / fantasy. I also love the shaping of the trees, they can be very difficult to build and make organic, but in my opinion they look great! I hope to see you post more of your builds in the future :)

Posted Apr 16, 2021