• 770 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 3529 Players Online
  • 2759 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Being More Proactive

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Paladise, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Most of Mineplex's current system that works to combat rule breakers is pretty much REactive. It is much more effective to be PROactive, and to cut the roots of many of the problems that plague Mineplex. The typically procedure that is currently employed relies on players to break the rules, in order to prevent them from breaking more rules. This seems counter-intuitive to the actual goal of removing rule breakers from the network. While this might be okay for extenuating circumstances, for example, rule breakers being punished during the act of breaking the rules or immediately after, the majority of the time the system is bogged down and can not keep up. Many players have experienced the side effects of this: hacking, spamming, being exposed to inappropriate builds in BLD (Master Builders), etc, so today I propose a variety of solutions to help counter these actions.

Improve GWEN. This seems like the easiest method for dealing with hackers, simply improving it so it can catch more of them. I'm sure this idea has already been brought up to the Leadership team multiple times, but given that it seems GWEN hasn't been worked on at all recently, I would like to put this idea out there once again. Additionally, I would like to see the punishment lengths being increased drastically. I'm unsure on whether GWEN actually perm bans players, but I'm fairly sure the punishment length follows: 5 days, 14 days, 30 days. Considering that most hackers utilize alternate accounts, a simple 5 day ban does not seem long enough, especially since most hackers continue to hack once the punishment is over. They can easily recycle through accounts waiting for the punishment to finish on one while hacking on multiple others. Revising the current punishment lengths to 30 days, 90 days, and a permanent ban on the third offense will help, if only partly. The argument that Mineplex Network Bans players who hack on alternate accounts excessively is futile. A Network Ban, rather than automatically IP banning those accounts, requires a staff member (Admin+?) to physically check if the IPs match and punish accordingly. Meaning that it is easier to just manually ban every alternate account. I do not wish to argue for creating IP bans as I agree with the reasons why it has been denied so many times in the past, but that the Network Banning refutation is worthless. Perhaps instead, knowing that Mineplex can track IPs, it can be used as an input for determining a GWEN ban length. If there have been multiple (meaning dozens or hundreds) accounts that have been banned on the same network, rather than only banning for 30 days, it would give a permanent ban for the first offense.

Improving the Chat Filter. It is needless to say that the chat filter system should be greatly improved. While most phrases that are not appropriate, are filtered, there are many workarounds that require further staff intervention. Automating the system better by filtering more of these phrases (while also fixing up some chat filter bugs) will help staff members focus their attention elsewhere. While you can already submit chat filter bugs, I believe Toki is the only one responsible with determining if something should or shouldn't be filtered. Considering that she also has many more responsibilities perhaps the whole system can be distributed to all the Rules Committee members. I understand it is one of the more closed staff sub-teams so I won't be commenting on whether more staff members should be eligible to join it. With the implementation of this new system hopefully the amount of ways to actually spam the chat will be decreased. I received quite a bit of backlash for this idea on the last thread, with the reason being that players can easily bypass even if more phrases are included. I would like to point out that the phrases used to bypass the other phrases should also be filtered then. And that while staff members might come fast some of the times, other times it takes a while before a situation can be dealt with, again the effect of a reactive solution.

Reduce incentive to use alts. Currently, most hackers use alternate accounts and can immediately go to another account and continue hacking if one of their accounts is banned. While one of the more direct solutions is to just IP ban the player, that idea has been denied many times before. I propose instead, to make the Welcome Tutorial automatically play when joining the server for the first time. In additional to this perhaps additional information can be added into it (maybe things from the FAQ's) to make it last longer. Not only would this potentially help newer players understand Mineplex, this will hopefully deter hackers as they would have to wait a couple of minutes before being able to hack. EDIT: I believe that it already automatically plays it, but remove the feature to skip it.

Even with these solutions implemented, I forsee that many situations will still have to be dealt with a reactive approach like inappropriate builds in master builders. Hopefully some other preventative measures can be brought up down below but I fear most of these ideas will be marked too controversial.

Posted Sep 19, 2020,
    Last edited Oct 7, 2020
    Susie likes this.
  2. Hi!

I agree with your proposal for improving Gwen, We know that it has been a prevailing issue within Mineplex and I actually created a separate thread about it here. The idea sparked lots of controversy but we all agreed on one thing. That Gwen does need patching.
    I actually neither disagree nor agree with recruiting more staff. The current amount of staff that we have is already ample imo but I think that the issue is we dont have enough staff for different time zones. I may be wrong on this because I am only basing this off of what I see when I play on the server late at night for me but I think that if we had more active staff then the issue would be resolved. So my idea modification would be to add or increase an in game time requirement for all staff for 4 days so we don't have any staff cramming all there hours on ilke the last day of the week. Also another thing is that the staff should promote more mods into sr mod teams. We currently have a LOT of mods and trainees and not a lot of sr mods. Understanding that you do need to show that you are ready for your specific sr mod team, if we were to add more sr mods into the staff team for different jobs then a lot more work would get done.
    This one I 100% agree on, not only are there simple bypasses you can do but I think that the chat filter is a bit TOO much. Sometimes even staff usernames get censored, Chat filters definetely do need to be revised and worked on.

Hope this helps!

Posted Sep 19, 2020
    SPOOKY BOI LEGEND998 likes this.
  3. perma banned from a gwen detection????

Posted Sep 20, 2020
  4. This would only occur on the third offense of you getting gwen banned, and keep in mind this should only happen if GWEN is also improved so there would be less false bans. Of course you should always be able to appeal it in case GWEN does make a mistake even after it is refined.
    Yeah for that point I was just stating it is one of the ways Mineplex is already being proactive.

While that is true, most sr mods teams have staff subteams under them which allow moderators to get the experience they need to get promoted onto the sr mo team. I do not wish to see the system becoming more flexible as it seems necessary for moderators to have familiarity with some of the more basic tools.

Thanks for the feedback!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 20, 2020
    Susie and Young_Inventor like this.
  5. I'm not going to comment on improving GWEN and recruiting more staff because those are pretty much a given in this case, but I do disagree with being more proactive with the chat filter. Imo the chat filter is essentially there as a "do not trespass" sign. It'll block obvious attempts to say stuff against the rules, but if someone wants to swear they're going to swear, regardless of how strict the filter is. It's already intrusive in normal conversations, I'd rather not have it be even moreso, only for people to continue to bypass it.

Posted Sep 20, 2020
    KiteGodRoo and Anna-Marie like this.
  6. *nobody liked this*

Posted Sep 21, 2020
    Anna-Marie likes this.
  7. honestly in my opinion the biggest problem when it comes to cheaters on the network is the quality of gwen. gwen is terrible at detecting any cheat that is not as simple as something you could find in any basic hacking client. any person with a little bit of time and researching skills could find workarounds for gwen that make it easy to cheat undetected for long periods of time. that being said, that's the only thing you mentioned that i can really get behind. despite the issues with gwen, unfortunately it doesn't seem like there will be any improvements to gwen as there is not currently an anti-cheat developer nor is mineplex looking for one.

Posted Sep 21, 2020
    SPOOKY BOI LEGEND998 likes this.
  8. the longest gwen ban is 30 days

Posted Sep 21, 2020
    Anna-Marie, Paladise and AtlantaTV like this.