• 460 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2874 Players Online
  • 2414 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Be able to pick a word out of choices in Draw My Thing

Discussion in 'Draw My Thing' started by BearJere, Apr 11, 2019.

1. I think there should be some kind of system that lets you choose words in a selection. Let's say 5. That way you're not forced to draw a word you don't know. Also that way you can pick what you draw next. Now, this will take time, so I also suggest that Mineplex adds 15 seconds for the drawer to read and think. Here is an example, and please take no offense; you are the drawer. You see as the choices dog, computer, circle, James Bond, and river. You can't really draw humans that well, so you don't pick James Bond. You think a dog would be too easy for people to guess, as well as a circle. You make a last-second decision and pick river. Here is an example of the current system. You are the drawer. You see you have to draw an envelope. You think that is much too easy for people to guess. You have no choice.

Have a good day!

Posted Apr 11, 2019
  2. This idea has been around for quite a long time to be honest. Based on previous threads and discussions about the same idea, the below can be seen:

Advantages:
    - Decreases the probability that the drawer doesn't know the word. Consequently, the probability that the drawer writes out the word due to them not knowing it can be lowered
    - Allows more freedom for the drawer

Disadvantages/Limitations:
    - Can make games more time-consuming since 15 additional seconds each round can equate to a few minutes each game (the game is long enough already)
    - Cannot prevent drawers who maliciously write out the word to ruin the fun, instead of due to not knowing the word

From the above, we can see that this idea does bring advantages, but they are not really that big. Hence, I think they should focus on something with higher priority (like solving the texture pack issue) before implementing this.

Posted Apr 12, 2019
    Snvy likes this.
  3. I definitely get your concerns as some of the words are references to movies (james bond) or are words that are different acrross cultures (moter bike/motercycle). I have to admit that I sometimes do not know what a particular word is (especially because english is my second language). However, what I do to overcome a word that i am required to draw that I do not know is simply google it. Whenver I play DMT, I always have another browser open at google ready in case I do not know a word.

One of the things I did not like about the previous system that allowed drawers to choose is that it elongated the game by so much. Choice would be nice but if you dont know what the "thing" is, you can always look it up.

Posted Apr 12, 2019
  4. Contrary to what others have said, I do actually agree with you and see where you are coming from. I play Draw My Thing a lot personally, and although I usually don't have trouble with whatever word I am given, I do usually see at least one instance in chat per game where someone will say something along the lines of "What even is this word" or "I don't know how to draw this". I feel like I remember at some point a long time ago there was a kit in Draw My Thing that allowed you to pick the word you want to use. Maybe a kit like that could be added again, as an achievement kit too to solve @Sven's problem with the longer game length. Thank you for the suggestion, I hope it gets implemented soon :)

Posted Apr 12, 2019
  5. Heya! I think this would be a great idea and something useful to add to DMT to stop players being stuck with a word they don't know so they could pick a word that they do know and keep the game going fluently without someone getting a word and just drawing something random. Perhaps there could be a system with 3 different difficulties so like have an easy, medium and hard word to choose from and if you pick easy you get less points for more people getting, medium a few more points and obviously the hardest word would award quite a few points if multiple people guess it.

Thanks for sharing your idea and have a wonderful day!

Posted Apr 12, 2019
  6. Hey!

I definitely think this should be implemented. I love this since one of my main reasons for not playing DMT as much is the word selection. I don't really think the disadvantages are actually too bad, I think making the game a bit longer is probably the main disadvantage, which isn't even that bad. Overall, this is a great idea and I think it should definitely be implemented.

Posted Apr 12, 2019
  7. This function actually used to be in DMT.

However, it was removed in the last "update" (more like downdate am i right) when the Selector and Extra Time kits were removed, leaving only the most useless, Extra Tools, as the default and only kit.

I've been campaigning for it to be added back ever since.

This isn't really much of a downside compared to the upside. DMT is a slow game and that can't really be helped.

Best way to solve this would be to remove it. It doesn't bring anything worthwhile. Colors? Not necessary. Tool textures? Not really useful. We can ditch it.

For what it brings, it's not worth making some players unable to play. I crash every time I try to play with Resource packs enabled.

Players shouldn't have to have another window open to play a game. I get that in some specific cases this may a necessity, but having the option to select words would greatly relieve the amount of time spent on Google, since it's much more likely that you'll be able to select a word you do know.

You remember correctly.

I disagree about it being an achievement kit, however. If you have all the DMT achievements... chances are you know the majority of the words in DMT. It's not much of a help by then. I'd rather see it as the free kit, or even the 2k gem kit.

We've actually got a system like this in the DMT GI doc!
    It's a cool idea, but having the ability to see exactly what words you can choose from is the problematic part. A word difficulty rating would be pretty good (and there are some pretty good ways to sort them, too) but it's entirely possible someone may not know an "easy" word, yet know the exact definition of a "medium" or "hard" word.

Posted Apr 13, 2019
  8. I think that this would be very advantageous to everyone involved in Draw My Thing. It obviously benefits the drawer because they get the freedom to choose a word that they believe they can draw the best. However, I don't think that extra allotted time should be given to drawers with this kit because it will elongate the wait and the game. There should also only be 3 options, as 5 seems excessive and redundant. When it's the beginning of the drawers turn, a GUI would pop up which could look like this:
    [​IMG]

Posted Apr 13, 2019
  9. I agree with this idea and hope this gets implemented. It would be beneficial for the old and experienced players as well as the newer ones to the game.

Personally, playing a game of DMT and only guessing words by looking at the letters/underscores at the bottom isn’t fun. I would gladly wait some extra seconds each round for players to pick their word and draw what they’re given because they know what it is. DMT has always been a pretty slow game, and I don’t think that it should try to become quicker on the expense of players actually knowing the words they’re getting.

I agree with @Glamourized; 3 options should be enough. The time added to the whole drawing with this system could be just 5 seconds, which barely makes any time difference to the end of the game. If they for some reason don’t pick their word within 10 seconds, they will get a random one of the 3. They will then have the current drawing time -5 seconds to draw their word, which isn’t that bad.

I also agree with this. If this is to be added as a kit in the future, it should not be the achievement kit. This whole idea would mainly help newer players, which is why I think that it should be the default and free DMT kit.

Posted Apr 13, 2019
  10. Btw @Eat you are better in Spider at SSM

Posted Apr 13, 2019
    Eat likes this.