• 0 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 5353 Players Online
  • 5353 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Barbarian Kit Passive Rework

Discussion in 'Survival Games' started by mDiscount, Jul 16, 2020.

?

Should Barbarian's passive be replaced?

1. Yes (reply with idea if possible)

2. No (reply with why if possible)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. I previously posted a thread about what I thought was a glitch, exploit, or even cheat being used in SG, where players would take damage and knockback from an absurd distance away if they are even remotely close to another player getting hit. It turned out to be the Barbarian kit's passive, which I've found to be very overpowered in team fights during my own play time using and playing against the kit since I posted that thread. The fact that I mistook a kit passive for a hack or bug should speak to how it may not quite fit with the type of PvP Minecraft offers. I wanted to make this new thread to have more of a discussion about the reasons the passive should be reworked/replaced rather than simply clearing up confusion about its existence.

I've found the Barbarian passive to be the deciding factor in far too many team fights.
    As unintuitive as Minecraft PvP is, movement and momentum are among the small list of things that must be mastered in order to win engagements. Using knockback to one's advantage is one of the key skills of a PvP player. What makes the Barbarian passive seem very unfair is the sheer range of it and how much damage and knockback it can do to multiple players at the same time.
    With Barbarian, getting a combo on one player will essentially activate a reach hack that extends that combo to the other player if they stand anywhere near each other. This leaves the further player helpless to interrupt the combo as they may be too far away to get a solid rod hit, or the closer player may be blocking the view of the opponent from the further player, disallowing the use of a bow. It makes taking engagements against Barbarians a chore because of how you must constantly be carefully positioning yourself relative to your teammate so as to not get shredded very easily, and it is very easy to mess it up if the Barbarian is even somewhat good.

Based on this, I believe the passive should be replaced/reworked into something that doesn't punish teammates for taking engagements together.
    Furthermore, this kit is not very popular in solo due to its sole use as a team-fighting kit. We can definitely make the kit more balanced, fun to use, fun to play against, and more useful across both modes by giving it an ability that is far more PASSIVE like the other kits in the game (examples being the small knockback/dmg resistance with Brawler/Knight respectively). I want to see some more ideas proposed in the replies, but here's my little idea:

Decrease environmental (fall) and ranged/explosive damage by 25-30%.
    This gives the kit a practical resistance buff to long range damage types to allow for more freedom in how Barbarians take engagements against campers, given that its strongsuit is in its active suction ability being used to close distance/disorient opponents, while also not outright making the kit immune to long range attacks. Also, the fall damage resistance can fit the rushdown playstyle of the Barbarian kit, being able to chase enemies from high places slightly more effectively than other kits while also not completely neutralizing fall damage/removing any danger of cliffs, pitfalls, etc.

I hope this is taken into consideration as I've come to believe the current Barbarian passive isn't a fitting ability for how Minecraft PvP works.
    If you are reading this and agree, please reply with some ideas so MP staff have some possibilities to work with.
    Sorry for any typing errors; I'm very tired.

Posted Jul 16, 2020,
    Last edited Jul 29, 2020
    Emuky likes this.
  2. AYO BUMP

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 17, 2020
  3. I completely agree with this, barbarian is way too overpowered when in 2v1 situations. Of course it's supposed to give the solo player a chance, but it's way to high. Barbarian almost makes 2v1s 1v1s. You can take damage from cleave when you're no where near your teammate that's taking damage, which is just way too over powered. It's essentially reach just with less damage, and keeps the teammate away from you.

I'm not an experienced SG player, but when I do play it becomes extremely annoying when in 2v1s where you're supposed to use teamwork and you get punished for it. I can't believe this kit actually made it through, and it's one of the most popular kits for a good reason. The fact that it has an ability (blade vortex) that is extremely useful AND it has a passive that's broken is just unfair. Either buff the other kits, or nerf this one. I think it would be best to nerf the other kits as I can see barbarian still being used with a nerf, just not as much.

You made a good suggestion about the fall damage/tnt damage reduction, I think that would be pretty interesting. My personal suggestion though is a passive that saves you from one lethal hit, used once per game (basically a totem of undying but it doesn't give you regen or absorption). In other words, if you take lethal fall damage, you're left at half a heart. If you take lethal attack damage, it would save you, leaving you with half a heart. Since barbarian has a pretty good ability I feel like the passive shouldn't be that amazing, so maybe I'm pushing it, but I don't think it's too over powered. This last life mechanic could probably be abused but I'm not sure, as I said I don't play the game that much. However that's just my thoughts on it and I think it would be cool.

Posted Jul 18, 2020
    Rqckin and mDiscount like this.
  4. @ literally anyone

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 31, 2020
  5. bump

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Aug 14, 2020
  6. yep the vast majority of the survival games community agrees that cleave needs to be replaced immediately. it is the most broken ability in the game making barbarian the currently most gamebreaking and overpowered kit in the meta.

all of this being said, i dont think we need another kit with an environmental fall damage reduction as assassin already has this. i think barbarians blade vortex is powerful enough on its own and personally i dont think cleave is even necessary for the kit. that being said, cleave is a really core aspect of the kit so the amount of barbarian players that would fall off after cleave is removed is going to be very high. the kit will take time and effort to rework it to a place where all players will be satisfied.

Posted Aug 24, 2020
  7. Planning on making a rework for Barbarian. Stay tuned.

Posted Aug 24, 2020
    mDiscount likes this.
  8. Couldn't they just nerf Cleave? Radius, percentage of damage, etc.? Does it truly need a re-work at this point? If anything, Warlock needs one.

Posted Aug 24, 2020
  9. Im reworking everything but Blade Vortex my b

Posted Aug 24, 2020
  10. So barbarian kit is getting reworked, alright nice. About time it happened

Posted Aug 28, 2020