• 2890 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 12134 Players Online
  • 9244 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Awards for reporting?

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by mijwalsh, Jul 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I know this idea has probably been suggested well over a hundred times, but after some long thought I can't for the life
    of me find a downside that outweighs the upside. My suggestion is to award people for the number of successful reports
    they file, whether it be in a title, particle effect, tag on the forums, that's not for me to decide.

I suggest this because there's about a 30% chance that a /report will get personally reviewed, and unless they're blatantly
    hacking with BHop etc. then the odds decrease by about 10%. The effort that a player has to go through just to get a bit of
    evidence to get a hardcore hacker banned for maybe 7 days and then instantly use another alt account after that is not only
    way too long, but also pretty helpless.

I know there are going to be people who dispute the time and energy put into reporting and the effectiveness of it, along with
    the /report in-game, but realistically, at least 1 in every 2 games there's a hacker of some sort, and say they have a client that
    can bypass GWEN, which to be fair isn't difficult to get at all, reporting them could or could not work, depending on whether a
    staff member fights the same person by some off chance and then bans them, or you could take a solid 10 minutes out of your
    time to record, edit, upload and report them, in which time they're already five accounts ahead.

The Mineplex community is extremely competitive, and giving players the incentive to make the most accepted reports, even
    if the only reward is a new taunt or whatever would (I guarantee) increase the amount of reports made at the end of the day.

Just a suggestion, but it would definitely be effective.

Posted Jul 1, 2020
  2. Honestly 'at least 1 in every 2 games' having a hacker is an exaggeration, and if you're seeing that many hackers.. feelsbadman.

I would support this, but the rewards should be something less public, perhaps shards or chests instead of a forum tag or title. A lot of the community aren't that positive towards people who are constantly reporting, especially if it's for chat offences. I feel like people could end up getting targetted for seeming like a 'trainee tryhard' or a 'snitch', which would obviously not be good.

Posted Jul 1, 2020
  3. The reward you get is that the hacker is banned and you, or anybody else, doesn't have to have a game ruined by them again, surely?
    I understand that sometimes the odds of the hackers being caught is low and a lot of effort sometimes goes into getting those recordings and manually reporting them seems like a hassle, but if people are only reporting to get the reward and not because it's the right thing to do and it benefits them and the server, then isn't that sort of an issue?

Posted Jul 1, 2020
    ChrissyTheFish and Xukuwu like this.
  4. This suggestion could motivate more players into reporting, for sure, although reporting a rule breaker shouldn't be something players should do just to win a prize. This fact sounds a bit controversial for me because players would start using the command with the intent of getting something out of it, and that sounds a bit selfish I'd say, considering reports are meant to help the community have a more safe environment. A massive wave of fake reports or insufficient reports would for sure start as well, giving the staff members less time to deal with the accurate and most appropriate ones. Reporting is totally optional too, it'd be a bit strange rewarding those who use it or not.

It's not so difficult to use /report in a game though, given that you'll only do /report <player> <offense> and click on the appropriate label from the GUI. It if were a more difficult command to use, then this idea could start making a bit more sense to me. It takes 30 seconds maximum, once you'll not be recording evidence for it. Don't think forum reports should be worthy of a reward too, as they're completely optional.

Players already get amny rewards from ranks, events, Carl, etc, don't think we need more at this moment. :happyt3:

Posted Jul 1, 2020
  5. Yep, that's kind of the reason I wasn't really giving a suggestion about the specific reward given, more the actual reason for giving it. And if anything the probabilities were an underestimation? If you haven't noticed already then you're certainly lucky but I'm sure more than half the community would agree with me on that one.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 1, 2020
  6. Actually, if you'd read my post you would've seen that I mentioned the re-occurrence of hackers, meaning once that account gets banned it's straight on to the next account no big deal at all. I'm also mentioning this to give other players the incentive, this isn't about me wanting a reward for reporting. I bring this up because players on Mineplex will generally do anything to get some kind of status/title above others, and those who are especially competitive would get the chance to do so whilst making a difference.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 1, 2020
  7. If reporting hackers is something people do on principle only then there we go, but in my eyes I'd rather have no hackers with the cost of people getting rewarded(tragedy) than the server staying the same/increasing the hacker population. From my experience it's very rare that a staff member will personally go out of their way to investigate a /report made, and the ONLY times mine have ever been accepted in the 2+ years I've used it is when I've made a report, a staff member just so happens to fight the hacker, get killed, ban the player, and then the report automatically gets accepted. My point here is to give players the incentive to report hackers, even if it comes at the price of literally rewarding them for doing good work, which many people seem to think is a tragic and completely irrational thing to do.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 1, 2020
  8. Firstly, I did read your post, that's why I took an interest and replied with my personal opinion on the matter. I never said that you were the one trying to reap rewards from it, i just don't think there needs to be a reward system for players reporting other players, if a hacker comes back on an alt then you have to report them again, there are many ways people could exploit that too. The reward is having a better, more hacker free community. I really don't think another reward system is necessary either as @Danilo said too.

Posted Jul 1, 2020
    Im_Ken and Xukuwu like this.
  9. Hey there!

This idea does sound like a good idea at first read since everybody would like to report other people to get prizes but I don't think this should be added. You shouldn't want to report somebody just because you want to get a prize out of it, you should report someone because they're breaking the rules. Us staff members were really hard and we try to get to every report we possibly can but you need to understand our main objective isn't just doing reports and punishing people. A lot of us are apart of subteams that we also need to do our quota for. For /reports those get checked pretty often as there's a lot of senior moderators and moderators. As for forum reports we do those as often as possibly too and they don't really go over maybe 2 days of waiting but normally will take shorter, this is because only RP/A people have access to this. We work really hard to get all of our work and our prize is we're helping the community, the community shouldn't get a prize just because they're reporting someone. How would this even work? We can't really give someone a prize every single time they report someone, and if we were to give 1 prize as in a particle or something, and you got it as soon as you did 1 report everyone would just start doing 1 report and get the prize and stop. This would need some sort of system but personally I am not a fan of this idea. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Good luck on the rest of your suggestions!

Posted Jul 1, 2020
    MaybeTay (HeyItsTay_) and Laylq like this.
  10. Hey dude.
    I completely disagree with this idea. However, as @Camull has already summed up most of what I was goin to say, I'll just add one thing. Yes, more people would report hackers, but the downside is, people would constantly be reporting people who aren't hacking just to get the rewards. Also, this is the reasons other threads with the same idea were denied.
    Because of this, I'm goin to have to give this idea a -1.

Posted Jul 1, 2020
  11. This idea has been suggested in the past, and while it seems like a good one on the surface, I don't think it would really be effective in the long run. If a rewards system were added, it could possibly encourage players to submit more false reports just so they can increase their chances of getting a reward. Moderators who process reports already have a lot to do, and processing a bunch of false reports can be pretty time-consuming (I speak from experience as an ex-RP and ex-moderator).

The purpose of reporting shouldn't be to get a reward, as stated above. Reporting should be done to get a rule-breaker punished, and nothing more. Plus, it would be extremely difficult to distribute the insane amount of rewards since a lot of players report anyway. While the idea sounds nice, I don't think it would work out effectively.

Thanks for the suggestion, though :sigils:

Posted Jul 1, 2020
  12. Hey!
    As others have stated above, the idea in general sounds really nice, but would not be very efficient if it was implemented. Reporting should be done, generally speaking, without there being a huge incentive behind it. The idea of reporting a player for a prize could create a spark of heavy false reporting, which could add a bigger stress load onto Moderators who are already trying to get through all of the reports that have been stacking up. Along with that, I just do not see a point in adding a rewards system into something that doesn't really need a reward for completing.

Thank you for the suggestion nonetheless, but I'm going to give this a -1!

Have a great day :)

Posted Jul 1, 2020
  13. Actually my suggestion was that whenever reports are accepted you would get points, but since players are against reporting other players, for every false report that's made one perk or point or whatever system might be used gets downgraded, to avoid false reports along with over use.

My other argument is, and hear me out since this is pretty objective, statistically people with the ability to quickly record, edit, and upload report consistently, whereas I could imagine a lot of people trying this out, seeing the hassle that they have to go through only to have another/the same person hack on a different account - well after the report is even reviewed.

So with that being said, people that regularly report rule breakers generally have a good idea if their report will be accepted or not, and I'd imagine if this was implemented these people(being the regular reporters) along with others would know whether someone was just lagging and whatnot, or whether they genuinely were hacking. And if a system was implemented so that, let's say your 'report quota' was lowered every time a report gets denied, it would give people the incentive to reassess whether the report is worth being made or if it just appeared that way.

And to reiterate, the 'report quota'(again, this could be literally anything and I'm not suggesting anything specific for the reward/punishment) would have no negative effect on the player in any other way than, for instance, deduction of 'reward points', which could be accumulated by reporting. So no formal punishment like a warning or a 'block' from reporting would be in place, only a deduction of accumulated points which were gained from reporting in itself, therefor eliminating a big portion of people 'over reporting' players without consideration.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 1, 2020
  14. I personally think this idea could work out if there was a very small reward. I would say about 5-10 gems or shards for every accepted in-game /report. I would disagree with having this reward for forum reports because it would take extra time to distribute the reward every time somebody gets an accepted report. However, with the /report feature it could automatically reward the players. I think this would be a fun way to encourage people to create reports, however, the reward isn't too large that it takes away from the point of reporting which is to help the community.

Posted Jul 1, 2020
    Jarif likes this.
  15. The 'point' of reporting often enough isn't based on the principle of helping the community, it's something players do so they don't have to encounter hackers and play fair. The logic of not awarding people for reporting something that players shouldn't have to deal with in the first place is like saying instead of awarding players for winning a game they shouldn't have to rely on a reward system in order to level up.

Although I agree that reporters are not generally liked in the community, somebody with a tag awarded after say 500 accepted reports will deter players in a lobby from hacking if they have any value in their account. Just a suggestion that imo outweighs the community dislike of them.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 1, 2020
  16. I feel like this idea would cause more bad than good for the staff team & community in terms of reporting, so hear me out on this:

Firstly, we don't really need more reports. You mentioned earlier that a /report has about a 30% chance of being looked at. From global statistics, the chances of a /report being handled on Mineplex is roughly 44% (based on the last 30 days). So if we were to add an incentive to report more and report for more minor things (as players will do this and try this) then it will increase the volume of reports, but the supply for reports will likely not increase in proportion to the demand for reports being handled. This, like basic economics, would lead to a large issue where more and more reports aren't being looked at and the hacker & rulebreaker problem would become even more severe than it is/was, which is not something we want to do.

Secondly, it would bring on malicious practices, There will be players on the server that will find a way to abuse this, whether it's setting up some form of macro to make reports for players that might get automatically GWEN banned and then get the automatic acceptance or whether they're just spamming the system on different alts - it would most likely cause issues and if we bring competition into the mix I just can't see how that would be healthy for the system.

In conclusion, I just can't see how this would help the server. I know you mentioned that this is good for people who go out of their way to get rid of closet hackers but reporting people (ingame at least) is very easy and not taxing as you need no evidence to do it, but issuing these rewards from the forums would waste staff time or be a waste of development time in developing a system that would automatically do this to not really much benefit. Due to the many flaws with this I'll be giving it a -1. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Posted Jul 1, 2020
  17. Hey!

As @xUmbreon mentioned this idea has been suggested in the past. The idea was declared as not planned because of the following reason:

"Players should be reporting people who break rules in attempt to get rule breakers off the network. Reporting players only for rewards is not something we want to be promoting."

I would suggest reading over the thread from May 21st here for more information on the idea discussion. To reiterate my position on this idea however: I think the idea is certainly interesting however I have never experienced an issue with encouraging people to report players. People report players anyway because they don't want to see repeated offences from the same player and clear the server of unwanted behavior. In a way the reward of the current system is making the server a better place because of the punishments issued from reports. I understand you want to reward people for accepted reports but I don't think this is necessary at all. If anything it could promote a sense of toxicity as people's intentions when reporting players may change from genuinely seeking that the server becomes a better place to more reporting for personal gain which isn't something favorable in my eyes.

Posted Jul 1, 2020
  18. Alright, so apparently the majority believes that people who report people solely do it for the 'personal' reward of reporting someone, and not to actually get a rule breaker banned, which don't get me wrong is certainly an interesting rationalisation, if you ran wizardhax.

I made the suggestion as an idea for cutting down on hackers, but as everybody has stated with words and (clearly) actions in-game, dealing with a problem is not the way to solve it, rather wait patiently for them to overtake.

Suggestion closed.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 1, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.