• 4229 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 13936 Players Online
  • 9707 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned Automatic Help Messages!

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by karehn, Mar 21, 2020.

1. The Mineplex playerbase is experiencing a rush of players since the corona virus outbreak.
    And there is no doubt some of the players that are joining the server will have never played before.
    So, I am suggesting an automated message system that will tell the player directly if they type a certain query into chat.
    For example, if a player said "How do I party?", the player would receive a message explaining to them how to do so.
    To make this idea more efficient, the trigger would vary, as there is many ways to say "How do I party?", such as (How do I party someone, how to party) etc.
    I think this would be extremely beneficial as ,as a new player you may find it difficult to navigate around the server.

Thanks and I'm very open to your feedback!

Posted Mar 21, 2020
  2. I definitely wouldn’t mind seeing this added. I see a lot of basic questions from newer players in-game. It’s nice to be able to answer them, but I’m sure there are lots of instances where they may ask in chat and no one responds. This would be a great solution and would prevent issues like this.
    I don’t really see any negatives in the idea, I hope to see it implemented :).

Posted Mar 21, 2020
  3. I agree with this idea fully. I also have another suggestion. Maybe the players could possibly type /questions and there will be a list of frequently asked questions. I think that it would be the same concept you are going for but it would be easier to code on the developer's end.

Posted Mar 21, 2020
    karehn likes this.
  4. I think this is a great idea and should be implemented into the server!

Posted Mar 21, 2020
    karehn likes this.
  5. I'm in favor of this idea. I do often see questions similar to this and there's not always someone that can help or is willing to help. That being said, I feel it'd be a pretty cool addition to the server and would serve to help a lot of players. However, the one potential issue I see with this idea is syntax. Not everyone is going to ask the question in the same way, and people are going to say it differently. That being said, it may be hard for such a feature to determine if a player says a question like that. Additionally, there are so many different things that a player could get help with, and so many different questions they could ask, that I just feel it would put a lot of stress on the people implementing this idea to set this system up to be the most helpful.

Realistically, although this system is nice, I feel that a better way to do this is a guide, or even just leaving it alone. The tutorial does a good job of explaining the basics, and what it doesn't explain people in lobbies can ask about and get a real answer for. Although this would make things easier for some staff and players, as they would not have to answer questions, there are things that even a bot with auto replies can't help with.

Overall, this system would be pretty limited realistically, but other than that I'm all for it.

Posted Mar 21, 2020
  6. Thank you for all your feedback :)

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Mar 21, 2020
  7. I think something along the lines of your idea should be added. It could be the introduction of a in-game assistant to stand alongside Gwen, Carl and Larry. Perhaps Jerry the Assistant?

To add a true Mineplex feel to this idea, all questions could be prefixed with a question mark similar to how both party and team chats work at the moment. It would then search the players message for certain terms such as "add friend" to give the right assistance.

Here is an example I coded:

[​IMG]

Posted Mar 21, 2020
  8. I really like this idea. I know that when I was a younger kid I didn't really understand how to work things. Being in a situation like that I know how the newer players feel and think this is something that should eventually be incorporated into mineplex. Also think about it, the server is getting a lot of players due to being home schooled because of the outbreak. Can you imagine how many new players, and players in general there will be during the summer time when we aren't getting homework!

Posted Mar 21, 2020
  9. There is already a /help command (or /pleasehelpiamgoingtoexplode but that is less relevant) that takes the player to the FAQ section of the forums and gives several other useful links I cannot recall. With these resources already available to the player and fairly easily accessible, I don't think developing this kind of system makes a good use of dev time.

As an alternative, there could be global tips similar to those on the Bedrock server, with an option to turn these on and off, notifying the player of the /help command and several other useful tips. It's great to have the concerns of inexperienced players in mind and I do think more could be done, but I would rather propose ideas that are more efficient and less prone to bugs.

Posted Mar 21, 2020
  10. Hey!

I like the idea, but in the end, I agree with Thenorn. Mineplex already has a /help command that sends you links to the FAQ page, the rules page, the trainee application page, and a link to contact support. With these resources all readily available and as he said, easily accessible, I believe editing this type of help menu wouldn't be a good use of the developer's time at the moment. Although I'm not entirely against the idea. I think there are a few situations where the /help command could be improved and could serve as more of a tutorial for newer players, but again, I generally agree with Thenorn in saying that it may not be a good use of the developer's time. I also agree with his alternative suggestion in general.

Posted Mar 22, 2020
  11. An automated system to help players with simple messages would be a beneficial idea to possibly alleviate the need for staff to constantly answer the same question over and over again. However, I just wonder if this will work for every question that you might ask, because some questions are simply difficult to answer. I would also wonder how they would trigger the responses for certain messages, because they could ask a question in a different way. Like instead of "How do I party", they could ask "I want to invite my friend to play a game with me, how do I do that?". This system might seem like a simple thing to make, but it can also be complicated if the wording of the question is different all the time. For questions that would ask about rules, it would be complicated to ask that since mostly a Rules Committee member could most likely answer that. For example, a what if question for rules would be difficult to have an automated response, and would take an actual PM to confirm.

Also, I feel like the Mineplex FAQ in the forums does a good enough job explaining answers for a question almost anyone would ask in a lobby. This would just make the FAQ kind of a useless amount of work put for the community if another system was added as an FAQ for the server. That is just my opinion though, and I feel like any sort of idea like this could easily benefit the community.

Overall though, I think this would be a nice system for questions like, how do I apply for trainee, or other questions. But considering how complicated this could be, I wouldn't want bugs to occur or people getting annoyed that random messages are being played back when they aren't asking a question.

Posted Mar 22, 2020
  12. I really love this idea, and thank you so much for actually testing it out on your own.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Mar 22, 2020
  13. I think it would be easier to use key words than just a sentence itself. Using the party question as an example, it could search for multiple terms such as "play with friend", "create a party" or "invite a friend" and it could even be done with words instead of phrases.

Instead of it searching every single chat message, the questions should just be prefixed with a question mark so the server knows to only check those messages.

If a question is asked regarding the rules, I would assume it would redirect to the rules page as a line or two couldn't really give a good enough response to a question about those. Also, if a question is asked that the server cannot come up with a response for, whether that be down to the players wording or just no response added for that question then it could redirect them to the FAQ page.

Posted Mar 22, 2020
    Wiz2K likes this.
  14. This idea would not only prevent people from spamming basic questions but it would also give the players professional support at the same time. It may also help trainees to focus more on rule-breakers than those asking questions. However, if a player needs more clarification on their question, they could have the option to send the message through again so that a staff member or another player can answer their enquiry.

Posted Mar 22, 2020
    karehn likes this.
  15. Hey there!

Yes, yes, yes! This is a great idea, so thank you for suggesting it. I was going to mention that it would be better if we had some sort of special thing that would need to be said in chat in order to get assistance, that way people who just happen to include the correct phrases wouldn't be getting that message popping up for them, but it seems @naete has already done this for us, so I appreciate that, thank you.

Some things would need to be figured out development-wise of course, but I don't see anything alarming about it at the moment, so I'll be giving it a +1! Have a good one :)

Posted Mar 23, 2020
    karehn likes this.
  16. Yo!

I would love for this idea to be added! Though there is already a /help command, this would be a way better way to assist new players or even players who have been playing for a while. I really like the way naete displayed how it could potentially work also. Using a ? in front of your question is a good way to trigger the assistant. And if Mineplex develops this idea the right way to make it work good, then it would be a perfect way to help people. This helps staff not have to answer questions which lets them do other sub team work or anything else. Also I'd say if someone ask a question like "Can I have tips on how to get accepted as a Trainee" it would lead them to the Becoming a Trainee threads.

Overall, this would be a great addition in my opinion and I definitely give this a +1!

Posted Mar 24, 2020
    karehn likes this.
  17. I really do love the idea - and I think that it has its benefits.

I think that because there are so many players playing during the outbreak, I think that not only will there be a surge of new players but there will also be a surge of older players from 2015 that quit a while ago and are revisiting the game that do not know "what the immortal rank is" or "what a community is" for example. For these people, I think player retention rates would be significantly higher if a system like this was brought into play!

However, the negative to this idea is dev time. I know it gets said a lot but with something like this I think that while it's a very important QoL feature, there is a scarcity of dev time and lots of other content related updates that we could push that would make it more enjoyable for other players (most likely). I do like this idea though!

+1

Posted Mar 24, 2020
    karehn likes this.
  18. Personally i do respond because it's really not alot of effort and i was once in the place of those new players and had others help me xD. But yeah and automated message wouldnt harm anyone.

Posted Mar 24, 2020
    karehn likes this.
  19. Hello!

I really like where you are coming from, and couldn’t agree more! Yes, there are more new players coming into Mineplex. Messages, like the ones you have described, would be not only helpful to the player, but also helpful for us staff members. Usually, we wouldn’t mind answering these simple questions, but when we are trying to help/ communicate to another player, or if we are moderating something/ someone in particular. This could become helpful for us since it would not make us stop what we are doing, answer the question, and then go back to what we are doing. However just like others described above, this could take a ton of time for the Developers to implement since there would be a variety of different questions and answers. I feel like the Devs could be working on something more productive, like major updates, than this because of how time consuming it would take. Maybe, if we were to hit a really good spot on Mineplex where the Devs could worry about simpler things. This could be taken into consideration then. Anyways, there are upsides and downsides to this idea, but I can definitely see where you are coming from. Thanks for suggesting, and I will be giving this idea a +0.

Posted Mar 25, 2020
  20. I personally think this is an amazing idea but I also think one of the cons outweighed the pros of it

Easy for players
    Not that staff/other players aren't approachable, but some people don't personally like to go to other people and sometimes they won't always get an answer if they ask depending on who they ask. So this just makes it easier for them in that regard

Convenient
    Because there are so many games and lobbies it's not always easy to find a staff member, depending on what you play most frequently. And as a side, not everyone has forums or discord; 2 places where you can easily find staff and ask a question. Even though some players will gladly answer randomly in a lobby, not everyone will and not everyone will know either

[?] Developers
    While I know Developers have way more important things to do, that doesn't mean this suggestion should be disregarded or downvoted. If we rejected a suggestion purely because developers don't have time, what happens when there are Devs but the suggestion has already been denied and practically forgotten about? It doesn't have to be a priority or something that is implemented in a snap. I'm not saying this definitely should get implemented because the con that was addressed earlier was fairly strong

The developers will likely always be doing something, and I know it costs money to pay them for their services so maybe that could also be a separate issue. But when they have time or some of their requests are more low priority, this could be something that could be looked further into

/help
    It is an extremely basic command which leads you to a rather detailed FAQ and some other links which answer the most basic questions a player can ask, rendering this coding completely useless. The FAQ even tells you how you can contact online staff so players can actually ask them questions and find them that way. This already covers the pros I listed for this suggestion, it's easy, suitable for a majority of people and it's very convenient. While my point still stands about developers and their time they can dedicate, time also shouldn't be wasted with something that already exists

It's worth noting that some people can't access forums with their computers if they have restrictions in place (which parents of young kids can place on the computer) or even their laptop just won't allow it, I've met a few people who can't access any Xenforo forums. But of course, this is a very small minority group that usually are still around because they figured it out as they played

As a sidenote, accessing this might be a bit bothersome and you'll eventually have to ask how to get it to work. If we used keywords it'll pop up when players aren't asking and if we use whole sentences, it won't always work for new players. If we use a command, then they have to find the command. It can be a bit messy compared to something as simple as /help

So, unfortunately, I'm gonna say no but it was a nice idea (:

Posted Mar 26, 2020