• 1537 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 4116 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Implemented arcade game rotation

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by ArxCitadel, Nov 11, 2019.

?

do you like this idea?

1. yes

2. no (explain why)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hey guys,

so the idea's pretty simple. there are a ton of really nice arcade games that have 0 players, and i think a main reason is because they're not showcased in the lobby.
    the idea is, every 2 weeks or so, rotate the games that are showcased in the lobby. this doesn't mean removing the ones that aren't showcased, it's just meant to make all the different arcade games more popular and to get more people back in really fun games like bomb lobbers and dragons.

thanks for reading, have a good one <3

-arx

Posted Nov 11, 2019
  2. Similar (ish) ideas to this were done with the Classics Cow back in 2018 but I believe they were removed because not many people played on them. I certainly want to see some great games like Bomb Lobbers and other arcade games coming back into popularity as a result of an overhaul as the butch queuing system really messed up the mixed arcade system overall, sadly!

I definitely like the idea though, I think it will add to and promote a lot of people to play arcade games, as long as we have a demographic that is interested in arcade games I would assume we will always be able to appropriately get players into these lobbies meaning they can play whatever they like and hopefully whenever they like (within reason)!

+1

Posted Nov 11, 2019
    ArxCitadel likes this.
  3. thanks!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 11, 2019
  4. I would love this idea. Personally, I'm a huge fan of Snake and Bacon Brawl. A lot of these games are awesome but people just forget about them. I'm not sure this would be a great use of the development team though because we have bigger problems to face. Overall, I would give this a +0.5

Posted Nov 11, 2019
  5. I like this idea. Rotating the Arcade NPCs featured in lobbies would allow players to experience a more variety of games because there are only about five Arcade games that consistently have players. It would also enable fans of a specific Arcade game to grind it while its NPC lasts, instead of getting to play the game once in a while through the Mixed Arcade system. It is unfortunate that around a dozen quality minigames are neglected, and raising more publicity for them by simple changes in NPCs in lobbies would be a great way to provide more game options for bored players.

Posted Nov 11, 2019
  6. I think this would cause more confusion than necessary. Players would be confused and think their games were removed. It would be better to have NPCs for all the games if possible, and maybe rotate in a few of the less popular games by adding an NPC that swaps. I don't think changing all of them is a good idea.

Posted Nov 12, 2019
  7. I've seen ideas like this suggested in the past and I'm definitely all for it. There are some really fun game modes that don't get enough players/attention anymore, as people are unable to locate them since they're only available under the mixed arcade section. I feel like if at all possible, the greatest option would be to have all the NPCs visible like how it was back in the day, so that all games get equally showcased. I'm not sure how possible this would be though, as we would have to make sure that there is enough room in the lobby for all NPCs and at the same time make sure it doesn't clutter things. Overall, I think an idea like this would help the mixed arcade games gain traction, so it's a +1 from me.

Posted Nov 12, 2019
  8. I’m personally in favor of this idea. Mixed arcade had quite a large player base that likes almost all of the games in there. I see players on all platforms practically begging staff to add them back. Rotating the NPCs in the lobby once every week would allow those games to be played without worry about the player count dropping.

As you may know, there are some games that have consistent players. Two I can think of are Death Tag and Dragon Escape. These two games consistently get played and Death Tag doesn’t even have its own NPC. Having the NPCs rotate in the lobby would give a little bit more light to those games that people don’t play often.

I think the best way to go about this is to have at least two arcade games rotate and switch NPCs with other arcade games in the lobby. A time period I see fitting for this would be about one week as it doesn’t really give enough time for players to get bored and stop playing, but it gives you plenty of time to enjoy the game with more players.

I’ve seen something similar suggested before, and I have to say that I personally really like this idea. I’m excited to see this implemented and hope that others like it too. Good idea!

Posted Nov 12, 2019
  9. Hi!

I sort of agree with this idea.
    I think this would be a good idea, because it would kind of help a little for those games.
    I think this would be a bad idea, because how many times would a player play it? Sometimes, it is like 'OMG this game came out of Arcade for 2 weeks! We should check it out!' But then after some time, the game would lose players again cause other players got bored and went to other popular games like CW and SSM. The players that really like the game will stay, but if you are just playing it because it is out of arcade for a limited time, then they will go play their games they were playing.

Have a good day/night!

Posted Nov 12, 2019
    Xukuri and saltyfishhy like this.
  10. I'll preface this by saying that I would actually want this because all my favourite games are arcade games without NPCs, However, I'm not sure if it would work.

While this is true, Death Tag doesn't have an NPC and quite often gets a game going. Therefore we can infer that while them not being in a lobby could affect the number of players, it's definitely not the only reason. There could be a plethora of reasons why the games other than Death Tag don't have players, and so adding this rotation could end up being a waste of time.

Also, I think a rotation wouldn't really do much to player count. You would perhaps bring in old players of these arcade games for two weeks, but then if that game is gone again, they may not bother staying. Most of the players in this rotating gamemode may end up just being people that would usually play Mixed Arcade (or I guess anything else on Mineplex) and so it would just spread people thinner across games. Especially during times of the day with fewer people on (when it's night in North America), arcade games already struggle to get any games going, so if this doesn't bring back many players, there'll just be more games that aren't filling up for most of the day.

I think in order for this to work, there would have to be lots of advertising from Mineplex that this rotation is happening, in order to draw in more players so that it doesn't just have a negative impact on the player count of other Mineplex games, which would make it a failure in my eyes. Also, any bugs or issues with the games should really be fixed before they get put into the rotation because if they advertise it and the games are really buggy, that will just put new people off. Mineplex didn't do this when they had Classics Cow last year which was an important factor in why that failed.

I think at the very least, this could be trialled for a couple of months to see if it works. If it doesn't, Mineplex should be open to removing it since as I've mentioned above, keeping it while it's not popular would cause many issues that aren't worth it.

Posted Nov 12, 2019
  11. Hey there!

Your idea is quick intervening; having an NPC displayed in the Lobby for the sole purpose of popularizing the specific game is quite interesting. This feature can be better if we make the NPC the centre of attention, what I mean by that is to place the NPC somewhere that is unique and not usually placed at unless there's a specific event going and I'm thinking of having the NPC where we usually have the NPCs for the limited time games like Chrismas Chaos and Halloween Havoc/Horror. It would give the game lots of attention and possibly attract new players that have played on Mineplex for a bit of time but couldn't experience playing these game as barely anyone played it when it was only in the Mixed Arcade cycle. Say if we a limited-time event ongoing, we can place the NPC on the opposite side of the lobby, mirroring the events NPC or even next to it so it can get as much attention as the limited-time event gets.

As mentioned by @Oscaros_, we had a similar idea to this back when Mixed Arcade was removed, the NPC was called Classic Cow, it would bring back a game from the mixed arcade rotation and add it to Mineplex so players can enjoy it and work on their achievements. Sadly after some time, it got removed. One of the main reasons for its removal is that they felt that it was difficult to give reasons for spending resources on games that have had some interest from a small majority of the player-base, this is not the only reason it got removed for. In other words, the game wasn't as popular overtime and lost some interest. The full reason to why the idea got removed after it got implemented can be found here. Because of the fact that players lost interest in this very similar idea to yours, I don't feel like the idea would last long and over time, it would lose its interest and eventually might get removed as well.

Overall, I would be neutral on this idea as I think it might cause some games to spark in popularity, cause games that are hiding in the shadows to shine and gain some popularity and show new players some games that they might've never experienced. However, a similar idea as I stated above has been implemented before and lost some of its interest after some time meaning that this idea could also lose players' interests in the future.

Posted Nov 12, 2019
    ArxCitadel and Xukuri like this.
  12. It's cool to have the game rotation for arcade games, just like Classic Cow! This will give them their opportunity to play all of the arcade games with rotation. It was removed a long time ago, I think? I believe I heard it was removed last year. Probably because fewer players were playing mixed arcade. From my experience, I was in the old mixed arcade server that has the rotation, and I really enjoyed it so much. If they decide to bring back the arcade rotation, then that'll grab few players to play on the server.

The only issue is that the list of online players wouldn't play on the mixed arcade that long. They'll have fewer people playing on the arcade rotation, and I don't feel like it's possible to bring it back. I know it can be disappointing, but it won't gain more players. 0

Posted Nov 12, 2019
  13. thanks for all the feedback! i read all of your guys' replies :)

a quick idea: maybe rotate the arcade portals to directly in front of you when you spawn in lobbies? (instead of off to the left...?)

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 12, 2019
  14. I would change it so the mixed arcade NPC has a featured game when you click on it, along with the rest of the games. Each day the feature game changes on a rotation. That way games with dedicated servers that are in mixed arcade dont have their NPC removed, even if its only for a little while. +1 though

Posted Nov 12, 2019
  15. Hey! As of today, mixed arcade will now rotate through all of the games rather than choosing games randomly. Therefore since a rotation was added I will be marking this thread as "Implemented" and locking it. If you have any further ideas feel free to make another thread. Thanks for writing this!

Thread locked >> Implemented

Posted Dec 7, 2019 at 4:26 PM
    ArxCitadel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.