• 460 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 6000 Players Online
  • 5540 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Processed "Applications Hub" to top navigation bar

Discussion in 'Website Feedback' started by Danese, Apr 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey,

This one's pretty self explanatory in the title itself; however, I'll go ahead and go a bit more in detail below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(Pictures are just easier to use in this instance than words in my opinion lmao)

The reason for this change is to make accessing one's own applications more straight forward. There are many people I work with who have been using this website since 2018 who still don't know that the little bar at the very bottom of the forums page allows you to view your own applications (or that it exists at all). They've been using super complicated alternatives of viewing their notification history to get a link to their application. They then use the navigation bar for the given application type to view their other applications or to attempt to access a different application type.

Adding the applications hub directly in the main website navigation bar would completely alleviate this type of confusion. It doesn't have to be its own tab... Actually I think it would make a lot more sense to either have it listed under Support or under Players (both could work since the application hub contains forms for both support-related and community-related "stuff").

-Dan

Edit:
    I just realized I placed this in the wrong sub-sub-section of the forums (general idea discussion rather than website feedback).
    My bad y'all.

Posted Apr 17, 2021
    collins., yvuggu and ARareBlackBear like this.
  2. Hello!

I'm not the biggest fan of this idea. Yes, the applications hub is not easily seen or accessed, but I don't think it belongs at the top of the page. In my opinion, the entirety of the grey section for the applications hub should be a button instead of the small eye icon. It could also be changed from a grey (that blends in with most of the less important stuff nearby, like amount of forum threads, posts, and registered users) to a more visible color choice so more people notice it. If the applications hub were to be moved anywhere, I think somewhere similar to user settings / your news feed / alerts / conversations / preferences could also work as a solution for this issue.

Example:
    [​IMG]

Posted Apr 17, 2021
    ARareBlackBear, anna., Danese and 3 others like this.
  3. The idea of moving the applications hub to a more visible place is a good idea as a whole but as @PROSTONE said, moving it to the top isn't really necessary. The top 5 links are for the places people try and find the most and if you click on support hub, application's hub is there anyway.

I really like this idea, personally:

Adding it to your profile bit is so much easier and while it isn't explicitly "on show" it's easily accessed and easy to find. (Side note: I love your screenshot of it being added, It's really good lol)

-

Overall, the general idea of moving the application hub is really good in my opinion, just where to move it is another question and I personally don't think it's needed at the top, but definitely somewhere easier to locate.

Posted Apr 17, 2021
    PROSTONE and Danese like this.
  4. Here's a more realistic option of what it could look like, and where it could be placed. In this example instead of simply replacing the "Your News Feed", it becomes its own list item and uses the same icon as mineplex.com/apps. The biggest hurdle I see with this is having to make the applications hub its own page. Yes, there is the apps page but it does not guide you to your archived apps, only to make new apps.

[​IMG]

Edit: Here's this incase anyone was interested in testing it themself
    HTML:
    <div class="menuColumns secondaryContent">
    <ul class="col1 blockLinksList userOptions1">
    <li><a href="account/change-username">Change Username</a></li>
    <li><a href="account/personal-details"><i class="far fa-user-cog"></i> User Settings</a></li>
    <li><a href="account/news-feed"><i class="far fa-newspaper"></i> Your News Feed</a></li>
    <li><a href="account/alerts"><i class="far fa-bell"></i> Alerts
    <strong class="itemCount Zero" id="VisitorExtraMenu_AlertsCounter">
    <span class="Total">0</span>
    </strong></a></li>
    <li><a href="https://www.mineplex.com/forums/#applications-hub.122"><i class="fal fa-file-signature"></i> Applications Hub</a></li>
    <li><a href="conversations/"><i class="far fa-envelope"></i> Conversations
    <strong class="itemCount Zero" id="VisitorExtraMenu_ConversationsCounter">
    <span class="Total">0</span>
    </strong></a></li>
    <li><a href="account/preferences" class="OverlayTrigger"><i class="far fa-cog"></i> Preferences</a</li>
    </ul>
    </div>

Posted Apr 17, 2021,
    Last edited Apr 17, 2021
    20LeeBrian1 and WowCaleb like this.
  5. Prostone makes a good argument that it could go with the other options in the "Account" drop-down area towards the top-right, however perhaps it would go better on it's own beside those 3 icons instead? To the left of where the "messages" icon is currently, represented by a paper icon I suppose. That'd grant the accessibility you're after, but I also think a potential "applications hub" is best implemented as a standalone option there, unless I'm over-estimating the importance of it. In UI design, the important stuff should stand out and be at the top level at least :P

Posted Apr 17, 2021
    PROSTONE likes this.
  6. This is a very reasonable option for moving the application hub. The only reason I did not personally consider this option was how it would function on mobile devices. The icons would have to be smaller than they already are in order to squeeze in a new one next to them. This could very easily make the general aesthetic and usability of these tools unsatisfactory. As well as only the most commonly used and important things go there, and in my opinion I don't think the application hub is that important. I hope this didn't come across as rude at all, and I apologize if it did, I just wanted to provide some feedback on your idea :)

Posted Apr 17, 2021
    Icarys likes this.
  7. I like Prostones idea. It will kinda remind me of the Enjin site. +1 to Dan's idea of moving it to a better spot +1 to Prostones idea of where to move it.

Posted Apr 17, 2021
    PROSTONE likes this.
  8. Nah that's a fair point, icon sizes are a genuine concern when designing web-pages for mobile devices. What often happens is that on the smaller screens they do get compacted into something like a drop-down menu though, so theoretically both of our propositions could even be implemented! I suppose if it's only to view previous applications, then it may not be as important as I initially thought and your suggestion would be the best, but the designer/developer in me also thinks it could be more important as an interface to make any sort of application or do any other application-related activity as well.

Posted Apr 17, 2021
  9. I support this due to the fact I do not wish to scroll. I think it would fit next to the bell.

Posted Apr 22, 2021
    PhoenixSky likes this.
  10. I like the concept of your idea and could definitely see use to it since it can be a pain to have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page. It's an important tab and it doesn't make too much sense for it to be so out of reach. However, I'm not sure it's wise to put it at the top. It would make things a bit more cluttered in my opinion and as stated above, if you click on Support Hub, the Application Hub is already there, and it's only a click away.

Prostone's idea of having it in the "quick access" bar would definitely look better and make more sense. It's an easier place to access it than it was before, and it wouldn't clutter the top bar. So if there were to be a change, Prostone's idea seems the most viable in my opinion.

It's a good idea overall, I just think the places should be switched.

Posted Apr 22, 2021
  11. I think it should get its own button in the bottom right. Not sure about anyone else, but I almost never use the Profile button. Putting it in the top navigation bar is also fine.

Posted Apr 22, 2021
  12. We won't be adding a button to our nav bar, but we will instead add an "Applications Hub" button to the profile drop-down menu like prostone had shown:

I went ahead and added this to our to-do list for a future update. This will be given the processed tag and locked as the idea has been accepted. Message me with questions or concerns.

Posted Apr 22, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.