• 1097 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9970 Players Online
  • 8873 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Anti-VPN Rollout

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by AlexTheCoder, Jun 3, 2019.

1. lol, too bad I cant play at school anymore XD

Posted Jun 5, 2019
    CupAWup and Wiz like this.
  2. This is literally the worst update I've ever seen a server attempt. Mineplex is now trying to prohibit users from having internet security.

Posted Jun 5, 2019
  3. No, not really. You can still use a VPN for anything else necessary, which still technically includes logging into the Minecraft client if you frequent the likes of McDonalds/Airport WiFi. Just can't use it when communicating with Mineplex store/game servers.

You also have to take into account the fact that tons of server have these measures, even if you don't know about it. Pretty sure -server that nobody knows I'm referencing- uses VPN information as part of their comprised account protection, though I'm not sure if they outright block them. Either way, the idea is just to stop some of the more malicious users--lots of VPNs aren't even blocked.

Posted Jun 5, 2019
  4. While it is indeed true that blocking VPN usage on Mineplex does limit one's security online, an IP address is merely one upon thousands of methods to track a user's data or online presence. A VPN is not by any means the 'be-all and end-all' cybersecurity tool, it's simply a well-known precaution.

To reiterate what @Brusey stated, the announcement clearly confirms that the point of the Anti-VPN Rollout is to improve Mineplex's environment by limiting the amount of damage that malicious users are able to carry out, not to stop players from being safe online. Also, many other websites and Java servers, in general, have some form of a VPN blocker or protection, as this is an elementary first step in keeping a substance online secure.

Finally, this update currently only affects the Mineplex website and Mineplex's Java server. As such, the Bedrock server is not currently infected by this change, so VPN operations are able to properly continue there.

Generally, I believe that this is a much-needed and great implementation. Should be interesting to see the short-term and future effects of these actions. Hopefully, fewer rule-breakers!

Posted Jun 5, 2019
    Jaek and SpitefulNick like this.
  5. Though we all know many VPN's will still work around this anti-vpn system, I'm still glad this was put into effect.

Posted Jun 5, 2019
  6. We use two layers of proprietary softwares to filter out VPN traffic as an alternative to spending resources developing a solution in-house.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jun 5, 2019
    FluteVegetables, Wiz and ClassyOwl like this.
  7. On the contrary, this update is not stupid. Many players and the player base as a whole has been requesting IP bans for centuries. This is the first step to start implementing them. If you actually read Alex's post before bashing on the update you might see this:

This should answer your concern. By limiting malicious IPs, Mineplex takes a step closer to keeping the server free of chat spammers and other related malicious activities.

Thanks
    Techno
    --- Post updated ---
    [​IMG]

Posted Jun 7, 2019
    Jango_55, ¡ liam !, qaslip and 2 others like this.
  8. How will I ever play at school now?

Posted Jun 8, 2019
  9. i think this is to block banned players from using a vpn to evade the ban and same with mutes.

Posted Jun 8, 2019
  10. Overall, yes. However, this also prevents botting, and we can discover punishments and find the deeper reasoning and rulebreaker.

Posted Jun 8, 2019
  11. This is a great idea! I have seen a lot of people bypassing network bans with alternate accounts on a VPN and I am sure this will help.

Posted Jun 9, 2019
  12. This system affects VPNs, not public internet. You can most likely play at school.

Overall, this update is pretty cool. Hopefully, it will restrict the number of bypassers.

Posted Jun 9, 2019
  13. oh gg

Posted Jun 9, 2019
  14. Truly remarkable.

Well done mineplex, I wanna see more stuff like this!

Posted Jun 13, 2019
  15. Heya!

This update to the server was a much needed addition to the server and I'm glad it's finally here! The developers have worked countless hours for this and it's awesome to have. Truly great work by the mineplex dev team! Keep up the great work!

Posted Jun 14, 2019
  16. Extatic for this new system, so happy it's finally been implemented!

Posted Jun 22, 2019
  17. Finally not as many ban evaders.

Posted Jun 23, 2019
  18. This is also good due since people shouldn't play with a vpn unless their internet provider is limiting them from being able to connect. I just see vpns as extra ping if you're literally not just ban evading which is not something you wanna do lol

Posted Jun 24, 2019
  19. Nice Alex! <3

Posted Jun 26, 2019
  20. It's possible to bypass this, is there someone I can contact about this?

Posted Jun 28, 2019