• 1742 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 3826 Players Online
  • 2084 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Anti-VPN Rollout

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by AlexTheCoder, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Hey everyone, just a small explanation post here on one of the anti-hacking and anti-fraud measures recently rolled out on the server. The Anti-VPN system is currently in-use scanning all incoming users on both our Java Minecraft network (us.mineplex.com and eu.mineplex.com) and our virtual webstore (https://shop.mineplex.com). If the system flags your IP Address as belonging to that of a VPN or similar entity, your connection will be rejected. If you're on a VPN, the simple solution to this is to turn it off and play on your normal IP Address, as being flagged previously has no repercussions on your account. If you don't use a VPN (for most of you this will be the case), chances are you'll never notice this system. If you find yourself flagged by what you believe to be a mistake, please fill out a support ticket at https://www.mineplex.com/tickets with your information so we can investigate why you're being flagged and whitelist your IP to let you play and make purchases again.

For those of you wondering why we made this change, we're putting our focus on limiting the amount of damage that can be done by malicious users abusing our systems, and blocking VPN use is one strategy to limit the access these types of people have to our network. This creates a better environment for you, the end user!

Happy Mineplexing!

Posted Jun 3, 2019
    AndrewRG10, pzazz, Halflove and 64 others like this.
  2. Alex my man, I can still use my vpns perfectly fine. I'd like to know if this would be considered breaking the rules or not cause its not in the rulebooks. If you or a staff could get back to me with an answer that'd be great, also whenever I use a vpn now I get 26 ms and without one I get 50. I used to get 26 regardless, possibly the vpn blocker causing an issue not sure.

Posted Jun 4, 2019
    Sxccer, persistent and xCuta // xOeuf like this.
  3. As a goal with Mineplex, is to make sure we block many different VPN's. As some of them are paid, they have IP's that we really can't see. Most free VPN's can easily be blocked as their proxy system/IP is different (Each VPN is different.). Our goal is to block all VPN's, which take time. They'll be improving vpn blocking hopefully soon.

Posted Jun 4, 2019
    FluteVegetables and Sxccer like this.
  4. Some VPNs will get through, as our focus is more on making sure innocent users aren't blocked than on eradicating all VPN usage. At this time it is not against any specific rule to be using a VPN that is not blocked.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jun 4, 2019
  5. I love you

Posted Jun 4, 2019
    Starx280 likes this.
  6. Thank you for the update Alex! It is awesome to see how much everyone on the staff team cares! Have a good one man! <3 :)

Posted Jun 4, 2019
    Starx280 likes this.
  7. While I am definitely interested to see how this will work out in the future for Mineplex, my one question is why now? Wasn't this suggested a long time ago, why now is it implemented? What happened to all the arguments against a VPN blocker?

(Privacy, It's the player's rights, etc.)

Eg:

Posted Jun 4, 2019
    Vocaloiid likes this.
  8. This is a really awesome update that has come out, and this is a massive walk forward (once again) in terms of Mineplex's progress. I know I have said this before, and it's going to sound like false hope but I honestly am amazed on how far this server has come. When I joined in Winter 2018, I saw this server at it's worst decline, but over the months there have been smaller triumphs that lead to larger triumphs. There is more to come for this server certainly, and I am really pleased with where it has come. Thank you @AlexTheCoder for this super over-requested update that has finally been brought as a reality :D​

Posted Jun 4, 2019
    Starx280 likes this.
  9. Well, one major reason I can give you is that this update also blocks large collections of botted accounts running off of a datacenter server from connecting and spamming chat, which is something we've seen happen recently. It also allows us to more effectively tie specific malicious behaviors back to an individual user who we can then take action against to better protect our playerbase.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jun 4, 2019
    Starx280 and SpitefulNick like this.
  10. Yeah, this is great work. Nice job AlexTheCoder. It would stop botted accounts that spam chat and run wild around the server. Once again man, great job.

Posted Jun 4, 2019
    Starx280 likes this.
  11. Hey there!
    Once again, the Mineplex development team have outdone themselves. I am extremely happy to see Mineplex alter the VPN system and detect any suspicious activity through the website, I'm sure this would've been an excellent addition to the old website as well. I'm glad that this update was succesfully worked it's way into the server and I cannot wait to see what good it'll do. Great work to everyone on the development team, keep it up.

Posted Jun 4, 2019
  12. This is one of the updates I've been waiting for! It's the genuine proof that Mineplex's progress is increasing a lot and I'm glad of all these changes. I can't wait to see what future brings to Mineplex in terms of updates.

I am sure this update will help a lot when it comes to avoid users whose intentions is to loophole our rules. I am also sure it will have a great impact on Mineplex and will help the server to be kept as a safe environment for our players! c:

Posted Jun 4, 2019
    [Away] Tours likes this.
  13. The problem with it being on the old site, was that it was hosted on Enjin. It was under their control, so they didn't have the capabilities to have anti VPN. It's their choice on what to do. I do agree with the work they put on the website and server as well.

Posted Jun 4, 2019
    [Away] Tours likes this.
  14. This is really solid. I know that a couple of other servers and even games have this system set in place, and I think that it stands as a better safety net for the server's players.
    Good update <3

Posted Jun 4, 2019
  15. Yes I'm aware of the website hosting system and totally see the benefit of making a new website which gives more control of development process. Enjin definitely had restrictions on developing Mineplex's website and so with this new website, so many more things can be done to make it that Mineplex can develop in their own, probably faster, rate.

Posted Jun 4, 2019
  16. Totally agree. I'm very happy that they could make the switch and actually host it on its own platforms and servers, not under Enjin's ownership.

Posted Jun 4, 2019
    [Away] Tours likes this.
  17. I'm really happy to see this take effect. It's surely gonna help the server out a lot and make our jobs here a little easier. Well done executing this.

Posted Jun 4, 2019
  18. I believe it's awesome that this has been rolled out to the community. I don't believe this will stop hackers by getting around it by much, but it is quite a step forward!

Posted Jun 4, 2019
    FluteVegetables likes this.
  19. @AlexTheCoder Out of curiosity, how does it detect the VPN? There's no way you guys put every single VPN's IP into a database, that would take too long, right?

Posted Jun 5, 2019
  20. All IP addresses have publicly available data associated with them my dude. Given the fact that purchasing 1 IP address is like going to costco and asking for 1 toothpick, I'm assuming that they have a combination of a subnet blacklist and also checks relating to the geolocation/owner of the IP block.

Remember that a singular IPv4 address is only 4 bytes anyways, and most blocks can be represented with a subnet mask anyways (e.g. 192.168.0.0/24 would represent 192.168.0.0-192.168.0.255)

Posted Jun 5, 2019
    CupAGhost and Wiz_Techno like this.