• 119 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2596 Players Online
  • 2477 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

[AMA] We are previous Mineplex Developers/Moderators. Ask us anything.

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by Morten, Jul 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [​IMG]
    Shoutout to Wanderer_ for the art

Hey everyone.
    We're Sarah(xXVevzZXx) and Morten, previous Developers and Mods for Mineplex.

We both became Devs back in 2015, Sarah a bit earlier than me.
    We've known each other as far back as we remember our Mineplex Journey goes and we have kept passively in touch since.

Ask us anything.

Sarah and I will pop our heads together tomorrow evening (our time) to collect some of the questions and answer them in this post. After that, we shall never be seen again :o

========= Answers =========

Sarah: I was finishing high-school and wanted to focus on that. So I felt that I didn’t have time for both.

Morten: I was also finishing high-school and wanted to focus on my exams. I had a pretty high grade cap I had to hit, so I decided to quit Mineplex completely.

We can’t say much about the current development situation for Mineplex, but back then; probably not. Back then, we had chiss to oversee the developers and he did an outstanding job at that. He was good at keeping us fired up and on track about projects. Big shoutout to him.

Sarah: Back then, Mineplex launched a Jr.Dev program, where less experienced programmers could get a shot of becoming a dev. Morten approached me with the program and due to me already being a mod, I gave it a shot.

Morten: I actually don’t concretely remember what inspired me back then, but I’m sure that was something. But I got spun into the whole ordeal and I genuinely enjoyed it, so stuck with coding since.

We recommend that you just throw yourself out there. Get a good understanding of what your goal is and what you need to do/change to get there.

To live it

https://jobs.mineplex.com/

We can’t talk much about the current situation in the staff team, but back then it was fine for the most part. A lot of current mods teams weren't created back then so we got an unique chance to help build some of the teams up from the bottom. Especially the EU mod team.

No.

Sarah: It was a big chance for me that I got the opportunity to work from home and basically how it fit our schedule. We were pretty free to work on what we felt to work on. We didn’t have a fixed “To do” list of things that needed to be done in a particular order. As long as everything was done and double-checked, it was fine.

Morten: I enjoyed getting the experience of being part of a tech team. This was my first exposure to being part of something bigger and I felt hyped about it. Being able to work remotely and build what I felt like, was really a great "first opportunity" for me.

Sarah: I got into coding through Minecraft and yes it is still something I do today through studying Computer Science and working for a smaller Indie development team.

Morten: I also got into coding through Minecraft. I got hooked on the idea that whatever I wrote in my editor, I could instantly see in the game. I still work with coding today. I’m currently hired as a Software Engineer in a Unicorn company.

Back then LT was quite volatile. We got a lot of people joining the team while others left. Quite some time passed by before it kinda settled down. Then when everything went back to order, it worked quite nicely, we felt.

It’s always sad to see something you helped build lose popularity, but we both kinda felt that it had to decline at some point. Back then, we peaked at around 50.000 players which was mind blowing at the time. So we were quite confident that we couldn’t continue with such numbers. Everything that has a beginning has an end, Neo.

There seems to be a big disconnect between the Leadership Team and the rest of the community. We would focus on this and make sure that player satisfaction is kept high. Easier said than done, we’re sure.

We know the answer is kinda cheesy and “cringe”, but never lose sight of what is truly important in your life. We personally don’t believe it’s a video game or a rank or a level. We believe it’s the bonds that you create throughout your journey. Nothing is more valuable than relations and friendship. Don't give them up for anything.

Sarah: When Minecraft bedrock edition was released and we had to adapt to a completely new system.

Morten: I was the main creator of Bawk Bawk Battles (BBB). We ran so many tests in the development environment and everything seemed to work perfectly. The unique thing about BBB is that it had no map attached to the game. The map was generated by code. What I didn’t take into account back then, was that our development servers were much more powerful than a single instance in the Prod environment. So when the map had to be created by code, it was relatively smooth in Dev, but in Prod it just crashed and burned. Whoops.

This is not for us to say. We don't know much of what's going on behind the curtains of LT, so we are in no position to give an answer to this.
    A person can have many hats. A developer can also be a product owner or a domain expert, so it's not mutually exclusive and can work in some cases. Whether or not it works in Mineplex's particular case, we have no comment.

Posted Jul 23, 2021,
    Last edited Jul 24, 2021
    cove_, Acme Gamers, catxyz and 20 others like this.
  2. umm would it be a good idea for mineplex to do some advertising

Posted Jul 23, 2021
  3. what made you leave the dev team? Any reason or just moved on? Do you like where mineplex is going? What would you add/change if you were leadership/devs? (For bedrock and java if you play both, or whatever you play if its just one.)

Posted Jul 23, 2021
    CatFan105 and StyxKiller03 like this.
  4. Is dev time spent as poorly as we players think it is?

Posted Jul 23, 2021
    Thenorn, BasicT, chungalunga and 3 others like this.
  5. I wonder about how your time and experience have been with the team of Mineplex because I'm curious to know that what actually inspired you both and if one does want to be a moderator or a developer, what would you recommend them?

Posted Jul 23, 2021
    StyxKiller03 and Kindnessaj like this.
  6. Was the Industrial Revolution a disaster for the human race?

Posted Jul 23, 2021
    CatFan105, rejudge, anna dot and 4 others like this.
  7. Hey, I wish I saw this before making a thread. Do you know if it would be okay for me to remake SSM into a actual game?

Posted Jul 23, 2021
    StyxKiller03 and Paladise like this.
  8. Who's Joe?

Posted Jul 23, 2021
  9. What is the meaning of life?

Posted Jul 23, 2021
    StyxKiller03 and CatFan105 like this.
  10. what are your thoughts on the current development situation (or lack thereof) and what in your opinions could MP do to change it?

Posted Jul 23, 2021
  11. How was your experience as staff, and how does it compare to this present day?

Posted Jul 23, 2021
    StyxKiller03 likes this.
  12. How to become Dev? Beep boop.

Posted Jul 23, 2021
    StyxKiller03 likes this.
  13. Oh wow, I've seen ya around a few days ago and just couldn't figure out where I've seen your name before haha. Glad to hear you're both doing well :)

Here's some more questions:
    - Pineapple pizza yes or no? (Know that the wrong answer may end up getting you banned from Italy for life)
    - Is there anything you particularly enjoyed working on here?
    - How did you get into development/coding, and is it something you still do to this day?

Posted Jul 24, 2021
    StyxKiller03 likes this.
  14. -more questions-

- how was the workplace/environment like back then?
    - what was LT like back then?
    - what do you think of the current game menu/npc layout & queue system?
    - your thoughts on the server's decline in popularity.
    - what would you change about the server?

Posted Jul 24, 2021,
    Last edited by a Moderator Jul 24, 2021
    CatFan105, StyxKiller03 and Paladise like this.
  15. This is a really cool idea actually, I think there'll be a lot of relevant and interesting things you have to say so a huge thank you in advance. I think right now more than ever is a good time to see some old faces return and give their input. Without further ado, my questions.

If you could communicate one message to the owners right now, what would you tell them?

What is one message you think all staff should know?

Posted Jul 24, 2021
    CatFan105, StyxKiller03 and Paladise like this.
  16. Are there any struggles you had during development for anything specific and how did you overcome those struggles?

Posted Jul 24, 2021
    CatFan105 and StyxKiller03 like this.
  17. How are you on this fine day?
    What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
    What is the capital of Assyria?
    Do you believe in Bigfoot or Orang Pendek?

Posted Jul 24, 2021
  18. I dont kno-

Posted Jul 24, 2021
  19. it doesn't matter, what is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow really matters to me, i need to know it

Posted Jul 24, 2021
  20. Umm which kind

Posted Jul 24, 2021
    chungalunga likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.