• 1484 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 8601 Players Online
  • 7117 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned All Kits Free for a Weekend

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by maevestarbaby, Jan 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi, this is an idea suggested by noke1202 in the Mineplex Discord but I figured a thread would be nice to get some feedback from.

The title is pretty self-explanatory, have a couple weekends in 2021 where all kits are free, both Java and Bedrock. If you're wondering what weekends would suit, I'd suggest whenever SSM gets an update, a new game is released, or an event is going on, like for Valentine's Day weekend or whatnot.

There has been a small increase of new players onto the Java server recently and there have been threads about not having enough gems to try anything. I understand it's not too difficult to grind gems but I still feel like it would be a nice, easy thing to do for new or existing players.

- A thoughtful thing to do for new players who don't have that many gems yet, especially if they enjoy SSM and would like to try new kits (there are so many different kits);
    - Achievement kits too. Yes, I know that they are special but allowing them to be available to everybody for 2-3 days will not do harm. It can push a player, if they like the kit, to start working towards the achievements for their game a little harder.
    - So many players on Bedrock, a lot of which are pretty new also and are younger than the Java player base, I'm sure seeing something is free would inspire them to want to play new games and try out new things!

Edit: As per player feedback, this wouldn't be a very often thing given that kits are bought with gems and not real money, but a couple times a year wouldn't hurt.

Posted Jan 23, 2021,
    Last edited Jan 26, 2021
  2. I meannn you already have 2 other options on how you can try kits on your own- unlocking it via the immortal perk or just getting it via the community bank and then playing a community mcs. I'm not against having a free weekend where we have all kits unlocked, but that just doesn't seem necessary for us to do when 1. We have a gem problem as it is for all our higher-leveled people and this would not affect them at all as they probably have all the kits unlocked or they can easily get them if not already & 2. We really don't have any other uses for gems besides the community bank and kits, so that just goes back to my very first thing about "you can just use the community mcs".

If we had a lot more reasons for gems to be used, I would be completely for kits having a free weekend, but because of everything I said I'll be giving this a 0 for now.

Posted Jan 24, 2021
    maevestarbaby likes this.
  3. Well, this idea is for the new players. Chances are, new players won't have Immortal or be a part of/know what a community even is, let alone try stuff in mcs.

Furthermore, this idea is extended toward Bedrock as well - where communities aren't even a thing.

There are other things you could do to tackle the gem problem, but this is a simple idea for new players

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 24, 2021
    Jet Starglaze and anna. like this.
  4. +1, though from a QAT perspective there are already bugs surrounding the general idea of giving out kits temporarily so it would likely be a bit annoying to pull off. I think that being able to 'pilot' kits for a weekend would be very cool and give a better incentive to buy them.

Regards,
    Isaac

Posted Jan 24, 2021
  5. Yeah then sure- idm a weekend

Posted Jan 24, 2021
  6. I'm not really a huge fan of this idea. As Marzie said, gems are already undervalued and pretty easy to earn.

Besides that, I don't really like just giving the kits to everyone, even for a brief period. So many players worked hard to get the kits legit, and giving them to everyone for free just doesn't seem hard to the players who worked hard. It seems to me like it is a reward for players who are not really putting in the time. I know there are of course new players who want kits, but we have all been new at one point, and we worked towards earning the gems to get the kits legit.

I also don't believe that having access to all the kits is as amazing as it might seem. I have almost every single kit, and almost always use one of the default kits. While there are a few games where the other kits can be better, that just isn't the case most of the time. I understand that everyone has different playing styles, so that isn't true for everyone, it seems to hold true to most people I talk with. Mineplex also does a good job at balancing the kits, to make sure the gem and achievement kits are not overpowered.

Also, as tricorder said, this would most likely require more dev time to do than it would seem, which I would prefer to be spent elsewhere. So overall, I just don't think this works.

Posted Jan 24, 2021
    Fusafez likes this.
  7. +1 If they can only select 3 kits of their choice for the weekend

Posted Jan 24, 2021
  8. Allowing all kits to everyone for 2 days would be nothing. Players on Bedrock aren't all decked out in their levels, a lot of them would appreciate something like this. In 2 days, I'd say an average person could get 5-10 hours on the server, if they have other things to do. That really isn't a long time to allow kits

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 25, 2021
  9. I really like this, actually. I remember ages and ages ago I used to play on a capture the flag server that had an event every friday where everybody would have access to all the kits for the day. It was different since iirc you actually had to buy the kits with real money, but it was something I looked forward to every week. Wouldn't necessarily be the same for mineplex obviously, but it seems like it could be a lot of fun, I could definitely see even more experienced players playing new games to try out the achievement kits.

The initial suggestion isn't too specific with how often it would happen, personally I'd be down to see something like this happen one day a week, but based on other peoples responses maybe that's too long? One weekend a month, maybe, idk.

Posted Jan 25, 2021
  10. Since this is aimed specifically at new players, I'd be fine with seeing this every now and again, maybe around special occasions.

Sure higher levels already have a gem problem, but they're not really our target audience when it comes to implementing things like this. This is something where you'd be looking to attract new players or motivate newer players who aren't sure if they want to work toward getting invested into a game they like. Letting people trial out games this way is definitely very appealing and encouraging to new players. I've seen on other servers who've had "Skywars Saturdays" where all kits in Skywars are free and the numbers it'd attract during this time would be massive compared to usual and the same rings through for other servers and their games.

It's not like it's giving them permanent access and most people will not have the time to try out every single kit across two days, or will be fixated on using kits they found and liked for that day, especially in games like SSM which have a plethora of kits. It's not like using kits give you an actual advantage either since anyone can use them and they're part of game mechanics.

I think something that'd draw players like this would benefit us since I think the general goal is to get more players any way to diversify playing pools in certain games so you're not always playing against pros who'll wipe you out or potentially spread the existing community thin and leave other games unplayable once you introduce a new game. Something like this would draw and encourage new players and help them develop their own playing style through kits they practice with and find comfort in using for maximum utility.

Sure, this is redundant for older players, but this isn't an idea aimed at them. I think it's a good idea, although it may cause issues from a dev perspective. If it's possible, I think it'd be worth it. +1

Posted Jan 25, 2021
    Fusafez likes this.
  11. This a big +1 from me.

Letting new players try kits, especially achievement kits, can be a motivator for them to grind a game, spending more time on the network. Although older players have more than enough gems to buy all kits, there are still a good amount of them who don't have all achievements in every game, so it could draw some mid-level players to new gamemodes as well! In the csforever MCS, we have the upgrade that gives access to all kits for everyone, and some players new to CS that joined our MCS decided they wanted to grind the achievements for the kits when the game was released during the holidays. For games that are still live, this can potentially boost their playerbases by attracting some new players!

I wouldn't mind seeing this as an event for new or mid-level players on Java and Bedrock.

Posted Jan 25, 2021
    rmotheram likes this.
  12. I actually really like this idea, I think it would be a great opportunity for newer/lower levelled players to try the kits out, it might even push people to play or grind new games. I don't think gems is something that should be used in an argument against it, if it's a free trial day once every few months, it might encourage players to buy kits and see what they want to spend their gems on, it's not permanent so if they liked the kits then they could go and buy them/work towards them (in the case of achievement kits), so I don't think it would have an effect on the server's economy. Players that already have too many gems would be unaffected by this, which I don't think is an issue.

So personally I'd love to see this idea. Not frequently, but a couple of times per year. ^^

Posted Jan 25, 2021
    QuietSnow678 and Fusafez like this.
  13. I love this idea and would love to see it. Maybe on holidays? Like Easter or Christmas (if you celebrate it)

Posted Jan 25, 2021
    maevestarbaby and Fusafez like this.
  14. OMG YES! this sounds so good!
    You should edit this post, and make a poll whether or not the Devs should add this feature.

Posted Jan 25, 2021
  15. i dont find this very useful.

Posted Jan 25, 2021
  16. I wouldn't mind something like this, if I'm being honest. I see the arguments for and against this, and in my opinion a weekend for a special occasion wouldn't hurt.

A newer player who might not have many gems might want to try a kit but they're not sure if it's worth the gem spending. An opportunity like this could give them the chance to test it out and see if it's actually worth buying. The same can be said for any player, really. If there's a kit they want to try out, I think this would be a good chance for them to try. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about achievement kits though. I would definitely be down with all regular kits being free for a weekend or so, however.

Posted Jan 25, 2021
    Fusafez and QuietSnow678 like this.
  17. I believe it would be worth getting the bugs fixed for something like this, not a priority but should definitely happen - a lot of players agree with my idea.
    Elaborate?
    Unfortunately I can't edit to add a poll - but thanks for the support! If you have any other suggestions let me know
    ^^^ Proof that it can do good!

It would be an event for everybody - but low-mid levels would probably benefit from it the most :) I think it's just a nice thing to do for the playerbase, that servers have done before and has been successful.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 26, 2021
    Fusafez likes this.
  18. Yea, I was also thinking special events, like Thanksgiving, Christmas, easter, and for bigger events, maybe allow for slightly longer?
    I don't know I'm just suggesting

Posted Jan 26, 2021
  19. I bought Ultra rank 5+ years ago back when it unlocked all kits with it. This was extremely exciting at first trying everything out and I believe that others would enjoy this. Despite this, the value of gems is already pretty low and this would devalue them even more. I don't believe it is something that may be implemented in the future but a good suggestion.

Posted Jan 26, 2021
  20. It would only be devalued if it was permanent. These would happen rarely, a lot of players would miss them.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 26, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.