• 3181 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 11619 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Age Limit for Posting on the Forums

Discussion in 'Website Feedback' started by Jaekub, Jun 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well of course younger players do come in contact with many points in life where they learn from their mistake. I personally don't see many immature posts from younger players. I say this because really, younger audiences have a set goal in mind. Whether they want to become level 100, a staff member or even a popular member of the community, they tend to get inspired and begin changing their habits. So really it's just a matter of time, a theme I'll use for the rest of the post. I'd say that this isn't really an issue since with the overlap of other users, the 'issue' doesn't really become prominent.

But to players who aren't too happy with seeing any sort of posts I think that it should just be a matter of time. Instead of leaving posts unrecognized, be players could possibly message younger players and help them with forum posts and etc. I'm not a professional or anything at guiding children but with the experience I have, I know that they definitely want to put themselves out there and show what they're capable of (even though it may not be as amazing as we hope). Children definitely take into account any suggestions people have to make in order to achieve their goal.

So really, combating this is not really a question and it's really seen everywhere. I wouldn't say it's an issue at all rather an experience everyone has to endure. Every server, community or real life situation involves children. At school, at work (for some people) and here at Mineplex. I think that with a matter of time really everything will come to ease.Thanks for asking, I think it kind of clears the air a little.

Posted Jun 16, 2019
  2. And I understand that, I work as a part time kid / baby sitter. I have seen kids mature over time, even me who used to be toxic as heck. I'm not advocating for kicking kids out of the forums, but I would like to see a potential solution to this post boosting issue. Apart from that, a lot of players I see make 20+ post boosting posts, get trainee, then die off on the forums. It's a rinse and repeat pattern that's irritating to see happen.

Posted Jun 16, 2019
    Tours likes this.
  3. Sure it impacts the quality. But quality doesn't change the fact that it't not hurting us as much as it's being led to believe. As Jkaebub said, it makes the forums untidy - but it's not some huge problem and some are overplaying it. That's all I really want to talk about in regards to post boosting because I'm going a bit off topic with the thread.

Posted Jun 16, 2019
    Vocaloiid likes this.
  4. While I respect your idea and would love it. I don't think it is needed. It is restricting the use of Mineplex servers and to save time. I agree with most of the claims above and will not state them again.

Posted Jun 16, 2019
  5. People under the age limit would apply though, simply because they think that they are good enough to make the cut. I remember applying to be staff on a server when I was eleven and the age limit was thirteen, and got declined instantly and was very sad. Denying access applications would lower self-esteem for the younger side of Mineplex since they can’t even communicate with everyone through the forums.
    --- Post updated ---
    Adding to that, I’d like to say that, you’d have to apply for an account just to filter out immaturity.

Posted Jun 16, 2019
  6. Just curious, do you happen to know who that 9 year old was?

Posted Jun 17, 2019
  7. I definitely disagree with this idea. People under the age of 11 can still be mature and contribute great ideas to the server, but with this idea, they are being excluded purely because of their age.

You said that it would prevent post boosting on the forums, which isn't true. Sure, people under the age of 11 may post boost a little more than people over the age of 11, but does it really matter? That's what forum bans and warning points are for, to prevent people from breaking the rules. Having age restrictions is an inefficient way to cut down rule breakers.

You said that kids under the age of 11 are immature if they complain that they aren't allowed to access the forums, which I personally don't find to make much sense. Look at it this way, say the forums suddenly made an age requirement that you must be 16 or older to access the forums. Wouldn't you complain? I sure know I would. Just because people complain doesn't mean they are immature, it means that they want something to change.

Lastly, social media sites such as Instagram have an age restriction because their population is very large and they can't guarantee that inappropriate images won't surface on their social media sites. Plus, the average age on Instagram is much higher than what it would be on Mineplex. Instagram has an age requirement because children could be exposed to inappropriate images, which I'm not saying couldn't happen on Mineplex but the chances are much lower. Mineplex has very strict rules on inappropriate images, and because our population is much lower, they can take immediate action without having too many people view it.

Overall, it's a -1 from me

Posted Jun 17, 2019
    Imout007 and RealDiamondKitty08 like this.
  8. Hey! Well, I do know of them but I've personally never met them. I've actually only found out just recently that there was a 9 year old on the staff team. You can probably find more information online somehwere or ask a recruiter for more information but really I don't know have any information on them other than their username (Electricz).

Posted Jun 17, 2019
  9. @Tours @Ender Rivka The nine year old was PyxelVirus
    --- Post updated ---
    Problem is, they aren't enforced as much as they should. It's really hard on the FMs because on one hand they have to be lenient and on one hand they have to be active against rulebreakers, but we have to find a solution to the problem

Posted Jun 17, 2019
    Tours likes this.
  10. How does that work? The guidelines say you must be 14 years of age to apply for staff

Posted Jun 17, 2019
  11. Do keep in mind, we do have several underage staff members who do amazing things for the team. Just because you are not quite 14, doesn't mean that you have to be exactly 14 to apply.

As for the age requirements for the forums, it's pretty easy to bypass, all you have to do is lie about your age. I'm not really for the idea, as I've seen many many kids (who are younger than myself, lets say between 8 and 12), who have incredible levels of maturity. The forums is a place where everyone should be able to go to express their opinions, share ideas, and interact. Limiting it to a group of a certain age wouldn't be fair to the younger community members who have as much right to express themselves in game, and on the forums.

To maintain maturity and rules on the forums, we have a forums team with Forum Moderators and Forum Ninjas who are always reading through posts, wall posts, answering forum reports and enforcing positivity on the forums so its an enjoyable for everyone.Your idea makes complete sense as to trying to enforce the rules, but it limits the community interaction on the forums.

Posted Jun 17, 2019
    Imout007 and Jaekub like this.
  12. Overall, I'm not really sure I agree with this idea. The forums are definitely a place for all of us to interact and share ideas and if we had a 10 year old member who wanted to make an impact in the community and share their ideas but they were told they couldn't because they weren't old enough, it just doesn't seem right to me. If Mineplex is wanting to attract and retain a player base for a long time, especially the younger members, I think it'd be ill-advised to restrict them from being able to actively participate in what I believe is a very significant part of being in this community and that's posting on threads to discuss ideas which can help Mineplex move forward in a positive direction. I just don't think it'd be worth shutting out potentially very helpful, dedicated members of the community when all we could do is just scroll past the posts that come off as more immature, we have the forum mods and ninjas to deal with those anyways. That's how I view it anyways.

Posted Jun 17, 2019
  13. I almost suggested adding an ignore feature, and then realized that it already exists. I think we as users can already avoid post boosters by simply ignoring the ones who do it excessively, or alternatively reporting them.

That being said, it feels like a band-aid fix, and doesn't fix the underlying issue. I honestly don't have a good solution, but I feel like a lot of people (including me) have forgotten, or never realized that pressing the "ignore" button is an option.

Posted Jun 17, 2019
  14. Wait so let me get this straight, we are having grade 2 kids apply for staff...

Posted Jun 17, 2019
  15. We have rules here on the forums to make the forums a family friendly place, even for those that are 8, 9 or anything higher/lower. We don't expect everyone to be truthful with their age either. People at some point or another have faked their age for different things, so it's likely to happen here too if we added an age limit. Also, not everyone wants to share their actual age with anyone. If you look around on most forum profiles, you'll see that people have probably hidden their full birthday or just the year. I'm also on the forums quite a bit, we haven't had many spam or troll posts like we did on Enjin. That number has been cut way down. And were the people under 11? No. Most were above 14. Heck, there's even 18 year olds out there that spam and troll forums, even spam bot in-game.

We very much feel this would not combat post boosting in any way, and it is not the way to go. Post boosting is definitely not an age issue. People of 14 and higher have post boosted before more than likely. Just because people complain doesn't make them immature. I'd be pretty mad too if you tried to enforce an age limit on a family friendly place for all ages. Let's use discord as an example. They have an age limit, but many people still bypass it. Unless you get them admitting many times in chat, there's no real way to find out how old they are.

Jarvis has said this is likely not happening. I'll be locking this as right now we don't see a need or really a want for it. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Posted Jun 17, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.