• 4293 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 14419 Players Online
  • 10126 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Age Limit for Posting on the Forums

Discussion in 'Website Feedback' started by Jaekub, Jun 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howdy!

I strongly disagree with this idea, and for one big reason. This is Minecraft. Minecraft is a kids game and while you don’t see as many kids nowadays, they still are here and especially on Mineplex. The forums are a place for all people, it doesn’t matter if their vocabulary isn’t that great or that they accidentally broke a rule. There is a punishment system in place for people who break the rules, and most people learn from their mistakes. Also, lying about your age is one of the easiest things to bypass, and would be extremely difficult to find a way to enforce it. So for me, it’s a big -1 .

Have a good day,
    WackityQuack

Posted Jun 15, 2019
  2. I haven't read through the other comments, so I do not mean to repeat anything if I do.
    I am not for this. Minecraft in general is a community of younger individuals. It's not fair to a good amount of the community. One's actions should continue to determine if they are eligible to post or not.
    Yes, many applications do have age limits, but they normally bypassed with a simple click. I have also seen many, many immature people over the age of eleven.

I do not see a point of these younger people not being able to view the threads. There are many helpful, funny, inspiring, etc. threads that wouldn't be able to be seen. This means they aren't able to post in the help section, either?

-Easily faked age / Difficult to enforce
    -A good amount of time age can be equated to maturity, but not always.
    -Demotivating to be part of the community if one can barely do anything on the forums...

I do see where you are coming from that it could help weed out those childish players, but I'm sure the "bad" ones would not abide if this were implemented. Just my thoughts. Well written post.

Posted Jun 15, 2019,
    Last edited Jun 15, 2019
  3. As an 11-year old myself (yes, I know you said at least 11) this sets wayyy too many boundaries for practically anybody.

Firstly, your proposal that children under the age of 11 shouldn't be allowed to view threads (focussing off of the fact you said commenting on and creating them) is, to me personally, absurd. Not being able to view threads would be ridiculous, as Mineplex, apart from being a densely populated community of players, is one of the safest server-forums ever (especially for its large player count). Staff are on day and night, with a ton grinding their gears on the forums.

I joined the Mineplex forums around the age of 7 or 8 back on Enjin. Although, I'd admit, my posts were terrible and sloppy at that time, seeing a community made me feel involved in something rather than being taunted at school (which I was at the time). Taking this away would prevent that from ever happening (if I was 8 now).

Also, not to mention there've been staff members of 11-12 (maybe 10 or under, can't quite remember). Oscaros_ became a Trainee at 12, and I've heard reports of multiple 11 year old moderators a year or two back. If 11-12 year olds can become staff members (especially since a few of those incidents happened when the underage process was a nightmare), then it would be logical to presume that children under that age are eligible to at least write and view forums.

Additionally, the reason those websites and apps you mentioned have age restrictions is because of the fact shaky stuff can go on there. Take Discord, which you mentioned. I have it because I am in the MP Map Testing group, and without that you either can't be in the group or...can't be in the group. The reason it's at a moderate age level is because its a (exaggerating this a bit) "anarchy." It's an unmoderated place (apart from the fact everybody stopped cursing because of me, oof) and anything can go on in it. Mineplex is a community of rapidly growing players with staff on heavy patrol to hide behind anything inappropriate. I legitimately don't know where you got the idea inappropriate articles people wrote can be found on these forums.

Also, you mention post boosting. In all my time on the forums, I have NEVER seen rapid/purpose post boosting by an obvious under the age of 11 person. Although I agree with your claim older users will be more mature for these scenarios, they can very much intentionally post boost with their "maturity."

So yeah. Sorry, maybe if it was tweaked in certain areas it could be a potential idea, but overall I feel this idea as a whole wouldn't work.

Oh, and @WackityQuack said it perfectly

Posted Jun 15, 2019
    Nat likes this.
  4. Hey there,

I personally feel that there shouldn't be an age restriction on the forums. Many younger individuals should be welcomed into the community and prohibiting this large group of people from doing so would result in negative outcomes. Children would lie about their ages and the community would become more split. Additionally, there are rules set in place to prevent some actions that younger players may be prone to, so in a sense, it is easy to monitor younger players. Overall, I think that the rules that are in place already help to maintain a safe environment and prevents players from posting "annoying" posts. Also, age doesn't really measure maturity, and there may be younger players that are much more mature than those that are allowed to post if there was an age restriction.

Anyways, good suggestion!

Posted Jun 15, 2019
  5. How about under 11 years old (actually how about 12 or 13 now that it will be semi accessible for younger kids) you have to write an application? It would filter out trolls while keeping the few mature ones under that age.

This is a compromise, as it filters out immaturity while still keeping a few younger kids.

Posted Jun 16, 2019,
    Last edited Jun 16, 2019
    Jaekub likes this.
  6. An application process to simply use the forums is not worth it, staff members would need to review each and every application for people who are honest about their age.

Posted Jun 16, 2019
  7. I'll be addressing some major points made in the comments that seem important:

I love this idea. The Trainee application process also has a way for those younger than fourteen to apply for Trainee and still have a chance to get accepted. This would truly make the more mature younger users stand out and allow them to post on the forums.

We aren't saying that everyone has to apply, but just those ten and under. Very few children would want to take the time to fill one out, so it wouldn't be a huge problem like you mentioned. The children that do take the time to fill one out already display their maturity by filling out an application. It may seem redundant, but I can assure you that it will allow those mature ten years and younger users to still post on the forums as they please.

This is something I didn't think about in the beginning. I will be adding this to my OP as they would and should be able to create threads in the Help Section and be able to submit player reports and bug reports.

Yes, but it is also easy to fake your age on a Trainee application, and they find out your real age most of the time.

I understand this and agree with this, which is why I stated that they could still chat with players in Groups, Walls, and PM others (if they have PMs open, of course).

Nothing against the Forum Moderators (because I want to be one of them in the future), but there aren't any rules against immaturity on the forums. How could they handle this then? They can't punish anyone for just being simply immature and nothing else. That wouldn't be fair to them at all as it isn't stated in the Website Rules or Forums Guidelines.

That's why I'm using @Ender Rivka 's idea and having an application for those underage to show how mature they can be.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jun 16, 2019
    DiddyYT likes this.
  8. A trainee application is different than signing up for a forums account. They wouldn't go out of their way to make sure that everyone signing up for the forums is telling the truth about their age.

Posted Jun 16, 2019
  9. I think it would be better to change it to 12+ or 13+ because the only reason it’s 11+ is for the few mature younger kids, but if you use the application system, then those few mature kids can apply. That will filter out all of the immature 11 year olds and only keep the good ones.

Posted Jun 16, 2019
    Jaekub likes this.
  10. Alright I'm going to address this in snippets just so my thoughts are easier to understand and you know exactly what I'm addressing when I discuss your ideas.

Alrighty. I'm not sure where this idea originally came from. Whether you've come across "uneeded and unwanted" posts in the past; this happens whether we restrict 11 and under or not. Every age does this occasionally. So; this won't be fixed by taking our younger community members off the forums.

So you want to even restrict their ability to view posts? This doesn't really make sense to me given the fact that your whole reason for implementing an age restriction was to limit the "uneeded and unwanted posts". Allowing them to not even be able to view them isn't fair at all. Especially since we release announcements and changes over here.

The probability of them becoming scarred and leaving Mineplex is much more slim compared to them leaving Mineplex due to not even being able to read forum posts. Not to mention that this doesn't combat post boosting enough to eliminate our younger community off the forums. Post boosting isn't even that bad and the rules are pretty lenient with it ever since we got this new website. No bueno.

Players complaining that they can't interact on the forums does not make them immature. They should be allowed to read about updates and interact with other community members as well as share their ideas. I would be pretty unhappy at my age not being able to do this.

Social Media platforms like Discord, FB, and Snap are entirely different than an online forum. Forums are used to collect ideas whereas the platforms talked about above are primarily for socializing. A lot of unsafe things can happen on said platforms but these set of forums have rules implemented to make sure everyone is safe no matter what.

---

Alright so those are my immediate thoughts while reading the thread. But to quickly sum it up I disagree. Our younger community members should be involved within our forums just like everyone else and it isn't cool to single them out just because their thoughts aren't "neat and tidy". Everyone deserves to be heard here no matter their age and that's that. Usually I'm able to agree to threads to some extent but I'm just unable to see your reasoning here. There is never a good enough excuse to single out a group of players ideas on a sufficiently moderated forum.

Posted Jun 16, 2019
  11. Oh boy, well isn't this disagreeable. I'm not sure how you haven't seen how bad post boosting is on the forums sometimes. I can give multiple examples on how bad of a problem it is. I'll even admit I did it a few times in the past with little to no reprecussions. I'd say this is a pretty "No bueno" situation.

Posted Jun 16, 2019
  12. Well I disagree with this statement. When I say “post boosting isn’t that bad” I mean that when I see it, I don’t immediately get upset and freak out. I personally don’t mind if I see someone repeat what someone else said. And THATS what I mean. I’m not saying I don’t see it a lot. I’m saying it’s not bad when I see it lol.

I’m not gonna see someone who post boosted and go; “wow this is the most awful thing I’ve ever seen in my life and we must figure out a way to combat this immediately.” It’s not that bad.

Posted Jun 16, 2019
    ATruePitato likes this.
  13. Sorry, took your view in another way. That's understandable.
    --- Post updated ---
    If it isn't helping the community, I say we work to fixing the situation.

Posted Jun 16, 2019
    Glitz and Jaekub like this.
  14. I'm sorry buddy, but I am not a fan either. I'm only ten, almost eleven, but does that mean I should be banned? Hmm. No... And kids will be kids, they'll learn in time. 1-

Posted Jun 16, 2019
    Sunny / Slash likes this.
  15. I would have to disagree on this one. I've been playing mineplex since I was 8 years old and if I wouldn't have been able to do as much as other people just because of my age, I probably wouldn't still be playing.

Like anything kids are going to get around this. I do think the concept is good but it wouldn't really work out. Some kids are more mature than others and will not spam. Mineplex is for all age groups and we can't exclude them. Although I do see what you're saying I also don't see much spamming in the forums as you mentioned. I get the age restriction for staff as they are a more present role in Mineplex, but the forums are a place to talk and share ideas with the community. Kids are very creative and have good ideas, I don't think we should turn those down just to get rid of the mild spamming.

Posted Jun 16, 2019
  16. Hey there!
    I personally don't find this idea too generous. I find that the forums should definitely be open to people of all ages. The Mineplex server has opened it's boundaries to children of all ages and upwards and I think that by restricting the forums to only a set few players, there wouldn't be as much encouragement for younger players joining the server which I disagree with.

I joined in 2013 (so around 6 years ago when I was 13) and I had instantly connected with a lot of players. Looking back now, I can see that the majority of the players were around my age, younger or a little older. Speaking for the next few generations of Mineplex, this idea would completely restrict players looking to grow and develop themselves through the server. I remember joining the server without any real life friends or groups and when I did join, I instantly clicked with so many people. I think that many people joining the server today may experience the same thing and instead of throwing them in another direction, I think we should open them with welcome arms and not stray them anywhere else.

I know that many people dislike seeing immature comments or posts on some of the threads or even on their wall and I understand that. But I think that everyone needs time to grow and mature and I think that Mineplex is something that inspires peope to become the better version of themselves. When I joined ages ago, I wasn't the mature person I am today. I wasn't as easy-going and I definitely wasn't as calm and considering. Being by Mineplex's side for the time I have been, I've learnt a lot and developed myself a lot. I think the experience I had gotten should be given to other players looking for a better chance at getting friends and interacting with the community.

Strictly speaking for recruiters (I think), Trainees are something that the server looks for. Anyone volunteering to help is something everyone appreciates and loves. By banning children from the forums, the community is saying that they don't want to see any sort of interaction from the younger players. Staff members have been known to welcome players below the age of 14 into the staff team (the youngest being 9) and so restricting players who are underaged just removes that opportunity from therm. It's clear that some players aren't as keen to see a prominent younger audience but I think that's just the way it is and should be.

So really, this idea itself really isn't as pleasing to me and I don't really think players shouldn't be given the right to interact with the community, apply for staff or even register just because of their age. Mineplex gives opportunity to players and I want others to experience what I had experienced when I was only entering the teenage life. I know that you didn't say anything about 13 year olds but I do still take in notice of players who are younger than me (like 11 at the time) who have come so far thanks to the server. I know you didn't have any bad intentions making this and sorry if I did come out a little harsh. Nonetheless, thanks for coming up with this idea and good luck with your future ideas!

Posted Jun 16, 2019
    Glitz likes this.
  17. Even though post boosting is an issue I don't think this is the way to solve it.

My first issue with the idea is that some people come to the forums and post once or twice in the help section because they're stuck with something. If they can't come to the forums for that then where can they go? Yes, there are staff members in-game but they can be hard to find sometimes - especially on Bedrock. We could implement the restriction everywhere apart from the help section but there are other problems with that.

As for the whole post boosting situation, when you think of post boosting you'll think of one or two-worded responses such as "good idea" "nice" etc. What's being talked about here is when multiple people repeat the exact same information on a thread which really isn't needed. More people are starting to notice it and I've seen quite a few threads about it recently. No, it isn't the biggest issue ever but I've heard that it's been a factor contributing to people deciding to leave the forums. It just isn't necessary and makes people question why someone is making that post. If you have the intent to help then that's great but when a user has already received all the information they need there's no reason to repeat it again while adding nothing to it.

Some people mature faster than others, sure - generally the older you are the more mature but in so many instances that just isn't the case. Honestly, the people who purposely troll are usually older than 11, I feel like it's very rare to come across someone younger than that with the intent to make the forums less enjoyable for others. People lie about their age all the time, it would be very easy to bypass. When they notice the restriction they can easily just make another account. Not allowing people under 11 to read posts really isn't fair and I don't see any need for that.

I agree with a lot of what's been said above, so I won't repeat it. I definitely don't think this should be a thing - but I understand where you're coming from for the most part.

Posted Jun 16, 2019
    Tours and Vocaloiid like this.
  18. If mostly younger kids are the ones creating this issue, how can we combat the issues made from the younger audience?

Posted Jun 16, 2019
  19. There are a lot more important things to deal with. Such as dealing with things that hurt the community. Things that are neutral such as post boosting should be dealt with at a later time and with leniency. Just as it is now. Our goal should be improving the community not nitpicking it.

Posted Jun 16, 2019
  20. Then what's hurting the community that requires such urgency? And I wouldn't call post boosting "nit picking". In order to have quality discussion, posts like that impact the quality of the forums.

Posted Jun 16, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.