• 1496 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 5135 Players Online
  • 3639 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Adding a timestamp in the sidebar

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Skizzy, Jun 17, 2019.

?

Do you think adding a timestamp in the sidebar is a good, or bad idea?

1. Good idea

100.0%
  2. Bad idea

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hello Mineplex Community!

Recently I have been having problems getting reports accepted (mainly those that are just screenshots of chat). They are primarily being rejected due to the lack of proof of the time the picture was taken. I think it would be a great idea to add a live timestamp in the sidebar of every game. It would make sorting genuine reports vs fake ones out a lot easier.

Your opinions?

Posted Jun 17, 2019
    Critiql and 1603 like this.
  2. I like this idea as many other servers have this feature. It is useful to be able to easily prove the time and date of things, even just screenshots you send to your friends. I think this would be a great implementation into the server, but they would have to take time to find the right place to put it depending on if they even put it on during a game. I think this could be a useful implementation because of the fact that it could provide a punishment to more players that deserve it. Overall I will give you a +1

Good night (for me)
    WackityQuack

Posted Jun 17, 2019
  3. In my 1+ years on RP, we have never denied a report for lack of proof of when the images were taken as it's not a requirement, so it shouldn't be an issue. A reason it could get denied for anything time wise really is if your video or screenshot evidence is wayyy out of date. I also looked at your most recently denied report and it had nothing to do with a time issue (I can give you the full denial reason if you'd like in a private message).

I can very much see that it would help though in proving when screenshots and videos were taken to help with forged evidence, especially in clans. I'll give it a +1

Posted Jun 17, 2019
  4. Hey! o/

I really don't see a major reason to not have a timestamp. If players thought it was annoying, I think there should be an option within /prefs to have this be enabled. Another idea is that it is simply added as a command (/timestamp) which would print either a player's local time or the current universal time. It might be useful in certain instances and it wouldn't be difficult to add, I don't think.

+1 to the idea of some sort of timestamp feature

Posted Jun 17, 2019
  5. I've been wondering about this feature as well. Adding a timestamp would completely eliminate the need to verify the date of a forum report. Plus, this could also potentially help with forged reports. One small concern that I have with this is the possibility that having a date in the sidebar may interfere with the aesthetics in-game, but if done properly I don't think this would be an issue. Overall, I think this is a small but important change that I'd like to see be implemented.

Posted Jun 17, 2019
  6. Sounds quite interesting so far. I’ve been on Reports Patrol for a bit and I think having a timestamp would be useful in handling reports. Hopefully, we could simply add the date at the bottom as the timestamp, that way it wouldn’t mess with the scoreboard in games. To make the timestamp not flashy, we could give it a gray color. Also, would this timestamp be in lobbies as well? I think having it in lobbies would be beneficial as well and wouldn’t hurt to have at all. As for what Glamourized has suggested, I’m not entirely opposed to a command but I think it would be easier for the reporter to have a simple timestamp in the scoreboard. Seems like a simple QoL addition which can hopefully be implemented in the future, +1 from me.

Posted Jun 17, 2019
  7. I would love this to be added. A timestamp would prevent fake reports because you'd know the actual time the screenshot was taken or when the video was recorded. This would also be useful for players that might be busy and have something scheduled. Instead of them having to go out of their way to check the time, they can just glance over to a different part of the screen and view the current time.

I do have a suggestion for this, though. Many players have many different time zones. There should be an option to set the time to match with your time zone to eliminate any confusion as to what time it actually is. There should also be an indicator as to what time zone it is simply off to the side.

Hopefully, this wouldn't affect anything for players playing in a game, so it should be a dull color that doesn't attract your eyes over. This could potentially mess up what a player is doing, so I wouldn't mind it being toggleable in /prefs. I don't think a command to print the time would be beneficial, as having it in the scoreboard would be much easier to access to view the time and to make it simple for Reports Patrol to view the time.

Big +1 to this idea.

Posted Jun 17, 2019
  8. As much as I would like to say it should be based off of the player time, I think it may be kind of hard to implement that. I'm not a terribly experienced Java developer, but the only way I know of grabbing a players time zone is by using a GeoIP service that won't be 100% reliable.

It may just be easier to stick to the server time, as that's the time that will be shown in the server logs.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jun 17, 2019
  9. I'm not saying "grabbing" their time zone but simply allowing a player to set the time to match theirs.

Posted Jun 17, 2019
    Skizzy likes this.
  10. While that may work, I simply feel it's impractical to leave it to the user to decide. Mineplex is a network open to all ages, and some of the users playing may not even understand or care enough to set/change their time zone.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jun 17, 2019
    Jaekub likes this.
  11. Me being a Reports Patrol member, I think that this would be extremely useful in checking the date of when the screenshot was taken. For all we know someone could have taken a long-ago screenshot and uploaded it to an image website very recently to create a loophole. I think that this would be great with identifying forged reports.

In terms of changing timezones to match theirs, maybe the server can show times in one specific timezone, and it won't matter what you change your computer date to? I know of a few online things that do this and I think that it would be a good way to combat this issue. Overall, +1 to this idea!

Posted Jun 17, 2019
    Skizzy and Jaekub like this.
  12. I think it's beneficial to have the timestamp feature; I can be able to keep track of the actual date and time. The timestamp should be placed in the scoreboard. As I'm a Reports Patrol, it's easier for me to check the screenshot or video evidence. This will help me to tell whether it's forged evidence or not. I don't see what's wrong with the timestamp feature in general.

Overall, I'm positive about this idea! Great job! +1

Posted Jun 18, 2019
    Skizzy and Jaekub like this.
  13. Anything further on this idea?

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 5, 2019
  14. The only other beneficial purpose I would like to see a time added is for games that are timed, especially when you amp a game, you have 1 hr of amp, it allows you to decide if you are going to run out of your amp by staying alive in like Mob Arena, where you may be the only player left playing and most players would rather end that game to get the double Xp verse just play longer and get lower Xp... a running time would eliminate the need to find a source for watching the time. Just another look at a +1 reason to implement a timer.

Posted Jul 5, 2019
    Skizzy likes this.