• 407 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2986 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

add timer in hot potato [nano]

Discussion in 'Game Alterations' started by ArxCitadel, Dec 25, 2019.

?

do you like this idea?

1. yes

2. no (explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. hey guys,

i have a suggestion that's been bugging me for a while: you should add a timer in the nano game hot potato so that you can see when the potato explodes.
    i feel like this would be a good addition, it's useful to the people who have the potato.
    just make a small timer on the scoreboard to show in how much time the potatoes will explode.

thanks for reading my two cents <3
    -arx

Posted Dec 25, 2019
  2. No because could just time it until last second, it's better to have it randomly blow up so it's fair for everyone and not just the people that start with the hot potato. There's much more strategy involved if there's no timer.

Posted Dec 25, 2019
    mab8400 likes this.
  3. Hello!

I am sorry to disagree with this idea. There are many reasons of my choice here, and think they should be stated in my opinion based response! I think this is a very creative idea; however, there are many reasons why this has not already been added to begin with.

Firstly, the whole point of there not being a timer is to randomize the explosion of the hot potato itself. I think this adds uniqueness to the game because of how random it really is for it to blow up. This would be taken to strategically from players. The players would wait until the last second to give their potato to another player if there was a timer. This creates an issue because this timer would not be taken what it should be used for. Instead the players would use this resource to much. Just like stated above me, it would only be fair to all the players to not have a timer, so the potato explodes randomly. Maybe, if the timer was shown right when the potato is given to someone for a couple of seconds. Then the player would estimate their time until it explodes. However, still with this modification it takes the randomness away from the game, and the game is based off of how random the potato explodes. So it would take away the main point of the game overall. Which is why I do not necessarily agree with this idea.

Overall, I thank you for sharing this suggestion for the game. However, I do not think it is necessary for the game, and would take the main point of the nano game out of it. Which is why I will be, sadly, giving this idea a -1. I am sorry this reply was so short, but this is a simple reason why I am disagreeing with this idea, and hope my opinion is heard! Thank you for suggesting, and happy holidays!

Posted Dec 25, 2019
  4. so random explosions are good? like every time how i get randomly blown up out of bad luck because some guy hits me once and it just so happens that the explosion is one second after he hits me?

also, you said people would wait till 1 second and then give away their potato. so how about you make it so that the people who don't have the potato can pvp the players with the potato? and also make maps with cliffsides, so you can hit someone off if they try to time the explosion?

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 25, 2019
  5. That Would only happen more if you added a timer lol. Everyone would time it so you can't hit them back.

Posted Dec 25, 2019
  6. read what i wrote in the second paragraph above ^^

OP OP
  7. Yeah I would say that it defeats the purpose of the game. The anticipation is what makes it thrilling and gets your adrenaline going. It would be too easy for people who start out to just wait the last few milliseconds to hit someone.

Posted Dec 25, 2019
  8. The issue with adding pvp and cliffs is it would become near impossible for someone to win if they have the potato people could mess up their parkour, hot them off edges, run, and combo people. It Would make it impossible for people with the potato to win.

Posted Dec 25, 2019
  9. thrilling? it's STUPID. i hate hot potato, just like i hate the other luck-based game, musical minecarts.

OP OP
  10. I do not think PVP would make the game any better to begin with. I am respectfully disagreeing with this modification, and think that no timer is better than a timer. To be able to make cliffs on maps would be hard to implement. The build team would have to go in and re make the maps with cliffs. This just creates to much of a hassle for them to create something so little, this being the timer. I still would prefer my modification over this one because your modification has to change multiple things instead of just adding something new. PVP is not what this game is meant for, in my opinion, and seems unnecessary to me. I do think that randomizing the explosion is good. I am not second guessing myself in the slightest, and think that the game is truly based on how random the explosions really is. Call it bad luck or whatever you want, but in the end. “Bad luck” is not what the case always is. I think the timer would, in fact, make players strategize the resource given to them, and there would not be a point in the timer at all. Once again, if anything would be implemented on this idea. I would still pick my modification over this one you provided. It just basically gives an estimated amount of time until it explodes, but also does not give the exact time once it does blow up. Anyways, my answer still stays the way it is, and am respectfully disagreeing to this idea as a whole.

Posted Dec 25, 2019
  11. then just remove hot potato for gods sake. who the hell likes it anyway ugh. half the server i was on quit when it came up smh

OP OP
  12. Personally, I think not being able to see the timer makes the game more interesting and challenging. People will continuously pass the potato around if they don’t see the timer. Otherwise, people would just wait to pass the potato until the last second like said above.

I think adding PvP would ruin the point of the game. The game is designed for players to run and avoid the hot potato. Players aren’t meant to fight each other during the game. PvP isn’t really an aspect in this game, or any version of it on other servers.

I actually enjoy the game personally. It’s fun to play and it gets your excitement up.

Posted Dec 26, 2019
    M4RK7000 and Vicerz like this.
  13. When NANO was first released, there was a timer. We made the decision to remove the timer likely due to community request and reflection about how the system worked. This was implemented before, and removed, so it's highly unlikely we would re-introduce it.

NANO games aren't all about skill and some are pure luck, whereas hot potato is a little bit of luck mixed with strategy. Introducing the timer would honestly be more frustrating than the random explosions in my opinion. The timer would also remove the fun action and yes, those who understood the game would likely just keep the TNT until the last second, pawning it off on someone not paying attention, and them dying. This is worse than the random explosions, and the random explosions fit better under the category of games like this, as 510bikes mentioned.

Posted Dec 26, 2019
  14. so there's another server with another game like hot potato (i won't say the server or game, but i think you know what i'm talking about).
    that game has a timer, and it's totally fun. it's really popular and enjoyable. and it has a TIMER.
    random explosions remove the luck from it, and the game is more based off of skill. you don't have to add my idea, but i will make sure never to play hot potato again lol

musical minecarts is another luck based game. 90% of the nano servers i play on say they hate hot potato and musical minecarts. NOT A FLUKE. luck based games are frustrating, because you can be a pro at minecraft and lose in the first round.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 26, 2019
  15. Hello there!

I personally agree with some of the other players here that this would not be the best move for the gamemode. Currently, there is no timer, which makes the gamemode more intense and challenging because you don't know exactly when they will explode. Because of this, players are always on the move and trying to get rid of their potato. If the gamemode had a timer, players could just camp until the last second and then get rid of it, and that wouldn't be as much fun for the players in the long run. Also, as @Dulciloquy said, there used to be a timer when the game was first released, but it was removed for specific reasons. It wouldn't make much sense for it to be added back in when in the past it was already voted out by our community.

Have a good day! :)

Posted Dec 26, 2019
  16. Hi!

I don’t think this would be good for Hot Potato. Adding a timer makes the game more - unfair and frustrating. You have the people that will wait until the last second to pass off the potato, and bam. Frustration goes, and it is unfair because then pros will more likely win at the game because of the timer so they know when to pass the potato on.
    If this stays like how it is now, where there is no timer, then it would be much better. Players would keep passing the potato around until it explodes, which no player knows when it would, so it makes the game more fair and less frustrating. Yeah, you will have the frustrated people, but that is every game.
    Overall, I don’t think this would be a good edition to Hot Potato because it would make the game more frustrating and unfair.

Have a good day/night!

Posted Dec 27, 2019
  17. i am kinda neutral on this suggestion. first off, i guess a timer would kinda help make the game more predictable and skill-based. on the other hand though, i think hot potato in its current state gives me a bunch of laughs and funnies because it’s hilariously random. guess i might give this suggestion a +0 for now xd
    --- Post updated ---
    arx, you should kinda chill. straight up removing a game is almost never a good solution :/

Posted Dec 27, 2019
  18. sorry about that, i didn't mean to be aggressive and i don't like being mean (i hope you understand). but i am refusing to play hot potato now, it's too random for my taste

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 27, 2019
    M4RK7000 likes this.
  19. aight no problemo. we all get heated sometimes i guess xdd

Posted Dec 27, 2019
  20. Honestly I have to give this idea a -1. A lot of players would get mad due to people passing the potato at the last second.

Posted Dec 27, 2019
    M4RK7000 likes this.