• 1520 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 7920 Players Online
  • 6400 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Add /staff Idea!

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Dacked, Apr 9, 2020.

?

Should /staff be added?

1. Yes, if so why?

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. No, if so why?

16 vote(s)
    76.2%
  1. Good afternoon everyone, I'm sitting here in-between my classes brazing through the forums and I thought of a pretty cool idea. It came to my mind that we really don't have any way of contacting staff unless it's through forums, using /a when in the same server, or if you have them added as a friend in game. Now I was thinking if we added /staff it could show a list of online staff and players could get help much easier than going to the forums and waiting for a reply.

How this would work: First off when using the command /staff it would ONLY show staff that are in Lobbies. It wouldn't show them in game because players who don't have ranks can't join a full game, and the Lobbies aren't usually completely full all the time. Now this command would only make it so players could teleport to Lobbies that staff members are in and they can use /a from there to solve their issue.

Benefits of adding /staff: Recently when I have been playing there have been players coming up to be asking to /report someone, or they are asking me some questions. I don't mind helping with the questions, but I don't know if I should be using /report if someone tells me to for a kid that I haven't seen playing so I wouldn't know if he/she was hacking or not. If someone with a question/report on a player wanted to tell a staff member they could simply do /staff and they could get the help they need. The staff member could just answer the question when they use /a, and they could either go to where the "hacker" is, or they could send the player the link to player reports.

Overall, I think this would be a beneficial command to add to the server. It saves players/staff more time because they wouldn't have to go to the forums to answer questions, and players without access to /report, or new players in general can get their questions answered. Now the only issue is I know staff are usually busy, but maybe answering questions isn't that much more, they already answer questions, it would just be that they will be getting asked more questions. Maybe it's something that could be tested for a little and see how it works out!

Let me know what you guys think!
    Have a good day!

Posted Apr 9, 2020
  2. A good way to contact staff is through the staff request community. This community allows staff members to assist you even if they are in a different lobby. You can join this community through /com join StaffRequest. Since this is already in place, I do not think it is necessary to add /staff.

Posted Apr 9, 2020
  3. If you did not know, there is a community called StaffRequest. This community practically does the same job as /staff as online staff are viewable there, just not as convenient. /staff's slight upgrade to StaffRequest is that not all staff are in the community, it is up to their discretion. On the contrary, however, you are more likely to get assistance from StaffRequest because if /staff only shows staff that are in lobbies, there will only be several at max. For StaffRequest, most staff are in the community, thus why assistance from there comes at a greater probability, not to mention regular players can also help. Since there are only trade offs to StaffRequest and /staff, the command is not worth implementing.

Report a User | Report a Bug | Rules | My Profile | Applications

Posted Apr 9, 2020
  4. Hey there!

This looks like a good idea, but I don't think this is something that is going to be used much. Considering if you do need assistance, with a staff member you can just go /msg them. Or do /a which more than 95% of the time you will get a response. This just seems like another /a but remodeled. And when you said in your paragraph "Recently when I have been playing there have been players coming up to be asking to /report someone" And most people know how to report. And how are new players going to know /report but know /staff? It seems like a useless update, but if developers think it's going to be useful they can add.

AKA this is a useless command.

~ Kind Regards CCheck.

Posted Apr 9, 2020,
    Last edited Apr 9, 2020
  5. Heyo!

I see this idea to be pretty pointless. First of all, if you're looking to contact a staff member in your lobby you could always do /a (message) and ask your question. As Looof said, you could always join the staff request community (/com join StaffRequest) which is a community where you can request assistance, report hackers ect so this idea is pretty pointless as we have so many ways already to communicate to a staff member. It's a -1 from me.

Posted Apr 9, 2020
  6. Hey!

I don't think this should be added. Though it would help some people, you can easily join StaffRequest and ask for a staff member there, message one in game, discord, or even the forums. So, this wouldn't really be needed. You can also go to Lobby-1 and you will 95% of the time see a staff member there! And if this was added, the staff members who are online would probably get spammed with questions and other messages from players.

Overall, the idea makes sense on why it would help, but there are many other solutions to contact a staff member. So I give this a -1, but thanks for the idea!

Posted Apr 9, 2020
    _Prof_ likes this.
  7. Hey!
    I've always been interested in this idea, and in the past I was in favour of it. However, the more I look into it, and the more I've heard people's opinions on it, I agree that this type of command wouldn't serve much of a purpose. I don't really see the point in using the developers time to implement this change, because I simply don't think it'll be used very often. For me personally, and something I believe a lot of other players do as well, is go to the lobby and look for a staff member because there's a good change you'll find one. I also usually just report any players I come in contact with that are breaking some kind of rule, but not all players can do that. So for the players that can't, and also can't find a staff member, the StaffRequest community is a good place for them to join.
    In the end, I like the idea in general, but I after thinking about it, I don't see it as super important, as we already have a lot of ways to contact a staff member, being Lobbies, StaffRequest, Forums and Discord.

Posted Apr 9, 2020
    _Prof_ likes this.
  8. Hey all!

I would like to remind everyone that not everyone is invited to the StaffRequest community. I ran the command /com join StaffRequest multiple times just now and it did not work for me. As such, I think I can speak for the Ultras and Non-Ranks when I say that sometimes its incredibly frustrating when I need a staff but can't leave the game.

As such, I am truly in a dilemma. If we were to allow Ultras non-ranks to have access to StaffRequest, StaffRequest would just be flooded with people looking for help. On the other hand, allowing this access would allow people to be able to get the assistance that they require.

Therefore, I really don't know what to suggest or do to solve this problem, and if you can please offer me some ideas below.

VernCow

Posted Apr 9, 2020
    _Prof_ likes this.
  9. Hay!

I think that there are so many positives to this idea - however, I think that overall the negatives of using this command outweigh. It would be excellent to be able to get any staff members whenever you want to ban a hacker - but it's not fair on the staff members who don't get any time to actually play Mineplex. Of course, they applied to such a role but they also applied because they are avid Mineplex players and don't wish to spend ALL their time banning hackers and instead of interacting with the community, delivering excellent experiences for all players. The community StaffRequest is an unofficial way of implementing this command and it allows staff that isn't busy enjoying themselves and are willing to help people - sometimes that may be an impossibility but there are guaranteed ways to report hackers such as the website or using /report - and believe me /report is pretty quick. Overall nice idea, but a -1 from me...

Posted Apr 9, 2020
    _Prof_ likes this.
  10. @VernCow You don't join StaffRequest by bring sent an invite, and joining StaffRequest has nothing to do with your rank. You do /com chat StaffRequest and either wait for a staff member to accept and add you, or you DM a staff member who's in the community to add you once you've applied.

But there are no public announcements or guides on the existence of StaffRequest - the average player does not know of its existance. Which makes the community not as effective as it could be, but ah well :/

Posted Apr 9, 2020
    VernCow and IvanProvorov like this.
  11. I don't think this is a good idea just using /Staff to be able to see which staff are in Lobbies because there is already StaffRequest doing /com StaffRequest you can see what staff are online. It's gonna be a -1 from me.

Posted Apr 9, 2020
  12. Personally, I don't really think this is needed.
    Usually staff aren't going to be hanging around in public lobbies, except for lobby one. If someone needs assistance from a staff member and they aren't able to join Staff Request for whatever reason. it's usually pretty easy to find a staff member in Lobby-1. Also, in lot's of cases, we may be unavailable despite being in public lobbies. We may be in a party and we're just in a lobby searching for a game, we might have just joined the server and need to go to Staff-1, etc. It would be annoying for both staff and the person reporting someone if they went into lobbies to ask staff members for assistance when the staff member is unavailable. Especially when there are other methods like Staff Request or looking in Lobby-1 specifically.
    It's a nice idea and I understand where you are coming from, but I don't think this is necessary.

Posted Apr 9, 2020
    IvanProvorov likes this.
  13. We already have a dozen ways to contact staff, I don't think we need another one. Besides, as most people have said already, we have a community with the list of online and offline staff members so this feature is not needed at the moment.

Good idea, but -1

Posted Apr 9, 2020
  14. Well, sometimes there's cases where a command like this wouldn't work - the staff members might be in queue for a game, and by the time you joined their lobby they might already be gone; moderating a streamer/youtuber (in the case of CCC), or just doing something else where they might be in a lobby but can't always help. Additionally, there might be cases where there's a lobby event - where there would be multiple staff members in a lobby, who can't really leave since they're hosting an event. Yeah, this wouldn't happen *too* much, but I don't think this command would be worthwhile in the end. The best way to get help is the staff request community, or just going to lobby-1. Generally, a lot of staff like to chill in Lobby-1 so you can generally find people there.

This used to be a thing in lobbies where it would show what staff members were online in your lobby, however, it was removed. I don't think a /staff command is really needed since there's a lot of other ways to get in touch currently.

This is because you need to be accepted to the community by a staff member. Whenever someone has the chance, they'll see your request and potentially accept it.

Posted Apr 9, 2020
  15. Big no from me. This idea has a been presented before and denied before, but I continue to agree with this decision.

First up, there is the huge issue of staff privacy. In every place where staff members can be shown to normal players (like /friend and communities), staff have the option to turn off their visibility from other players. This is extremely useful for when staff members want to hang out and chill instead of moderating 24/7. Yes, we are staff members, but we are allowed to have some fun too instead of moderating every single second we are on. This would force staff members to almost always being moderating and get stalked by players, which isn't cool.

Secondly, there are already ways to report hackers. Making it so that players can just find staff in lobbies so that they can use /a isn't going to solve everything. There are already solutions like StaffRequest and /report, so adding in this would just add another way to report hackers and, in return, have less staff members scouting StaffRequest and processing /report.

Finally, I believe it would lead to harassment of staff members. Whenever I play I game, it is super common to see the comments like "Why are you playing and not doing your job," and "Go ban hackers instead of playing games." These comments would only increase. Even if you can only find staff members in lobbies, there would be the members of the community wanting these members to be in games banning these hackers and go back to lobbies to be found to repeat the process. Additionally, I would see people waiting for members of QA/mods good with closeters to be on just to ask them about a reacher/autoclicker/mod-kb, which are often hard to deal with.

In the end, I just don't see many benefits coming out of it besides maybe a few hackers, but StaffRequest and /report are often super fast at getting these hackers anyway.

Posted Apr 10, 2020
    Truthhs, Tours, Wiz2K and 3 others like this.
  16. So many good points you just brought up I never even thought about from a staff members perspective 0_0
    After reading this, this helps support my idea that the /staff isn’t necessary along with the other points I brought up earlier. I would like to dive into the privacy of staff, and how /staff could end up being used against the player who wants to report. Closet hackers as many know are hackers who keep their cheats on the DL, or basically who aren’t obvious about it. If /staff was implemented, I feel like a closet hacker could abuse the power to check for staff in their game, thus resulting in them toggling on and off. This would take away the effectiveness of the StaffRequest com, and limit the player who isn’t cheating to only report the hacker which takes time. Thanks again for bringing up the interesting points jxcb

Posted Apr 10, 2020
  17. I was actually in favor of your idea but after putting more thought into it and reading everybody else's replies, I'm going to have to agree with them and say that it shouldn't be implemented. I can see why it would be a nice feature to have since finding staff can sometimes be challenging. However, @jxcb brought up multiple valid points. Also, as mentioned before there are already many different ways to report players.

Posted Apr 10, 2020
  18. Yeah, sorry to put break to you, but I don't think this idea is necessary. I personally think an idea like this would just violate and create problems of invasion of privacy for staff members that want to be chilling around in Staff-1, lobbies or are playing games with someone. Even if this feature will be for people that are in lobbies, I still think this would still be some sort of invasion of privacy if there will be trackers for whether staff members are online in lobbies or not.

I understand your idea with here, but I think using the community StaffRequest or messaging a staff member through the forums in someone's profile at www.mineplex.com/staff would be efficient enough to get a staff member's attention. Especially the community StaffRequest is pretty active with staff members, and even if there isn't a staff responding, most of the time someone will respond, even a community member. Also, there are usually staff in Lobby-1 so I wouldn't worry about having to track staff in lobbies for questions.

There was a reason why Mineplex eventually added the option to go semi visible, away, or online in your /f list due to problems like these, which is why I am going to say this idea is not needed to find active staff. Staff are usually online in the COM StaffRequest for help, the forums also has a help section which is very useful, and active staff in Lobby-1 most of the time. If not, then there is always the option of PMing a staff member through the Mineplex Discord, or even through the forums. Otherwise, hope I gave good feedback on why this idea is unnecessary.

Posted Apr 10, 2020
  19. Hey there!
    There have been many, many ideas suggesting more staff communication commands and platforms and I've noticed the many concerns that community members have had in regards to finding staff members. Personally, I don't think it's that hard to find staff members. You can always find them in different lobbies, most commonly in Lobby-1. Although I see where you're coming from, I have to disagree and suggest that this idea may not be the best action at the moment.

Firstly, there are many ways currently to communicate with a staff member. Most notably, /a is used a lot to address staff members in the same lobby as a player is which is a very popular way of communicating with staff members and addressing any issues a player might have. The forums are also a great place to find staff members who are willing to help. Messaging them on the forums is a great way to get questions addressed, although it may take longer. mineplex.com/staff is where you can find staff members available.

Another incredibly popular way of communicating with staff members is through the StaffRequest community. To join, simply use the command /com join StaffRequest. It is known for requesting staff when in need of help and it's very effective as well. Staff members who aren't busy usually attend to any of your issues and help. Other than the community, /report is an option for members who have purchased ranks. It is pretty easy to use and staff members can attend to it as soon as possible.

It seems as though there are many alternatives at the moment to this command, and it's noted across the community that staff members should have the chance to play games and hang out around the serevr, and would rather avoid getting taunted by players. I think you had good intentions going through with this, but I think there are already many systems in place assuring staff member help. [​IMG]

Posted Apr 10, 2020