• 1719 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 6063 Players Online
  • 4344 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Add some tunes to NANO Games

Discussion in 'Nano Games' started by Glitz, Apr 17, 2019.

?

Do you think adding music to NANO would be a good idea?

Poll closed Apr 24, 2019.
  1. I like this idea!

83.3%
  2. I don't like this idea! (I'll say why in comments section)

16.7%
  1. I think the title of this thread really explains all, but to be a broken record I think it would be a really nice idea to add music to NANO Games. NANO tends to be the game I play when I'm just hanging out with friends or playing by myself. It's got a 'chill' feel to it where you can just relax. I feel like adding music to it would be a great addition to just amplify the chill environment.

And when I say music, I'm talking like todays music with noteblocks. Not typical jukebox CDs. I also feel like, eventually players should be able to maybe submit their own noteblock song inventions o:

Player Suggestions:
    • Have it be called "Mineplex Radio" - @Jadguar
    • A way to toggle music on or off (client-side) - @xUmbreon
    • A poll to see what songs the community would like to hear be made from noteblocks - @xUmbreon

Posted Apr 17, 2019,
    Last edited Apr 18, 2019
    Eclipciz, cerns, Glamourized and 2 others like this.
  2. I play Nano a heck ton, and honestly, I'd be so down for this idea. I love listening to music as it is, and I play Nano when relaxing, so I think that this would create a good way to unwind. In terms of today's music, I really like the sound of that idea, however I think that before adding this, there should be a poll on adding some of the more popular songs. This way, more people would get to hear what they want to hear. After adding some songs, I think as well as submitting original noteblock songs, there should be a request form so players can request certain songs to be added.

I also think that there should be a way to mute songs, so that if a particular song comes up that a certain player doesn't like, they can mute that music without having to mute their entire Minecraft sound system (if there isn't already a system to mute music like that anyway).

Overall, big +1 to this idea!

Posted Apr 17, 2019
    Glitz likes this.
  3. Sometimes, I need to listen to music whenever I need to take a break or just for fun. With adding the music to the Nano games, I feel like it is relaxing and playing a game at the same time. I like the idea what Alex said above; she said that there should be a poll on adding some popular songs, as long as if it is appropriate. Although, all of the songs may need to convert into a noteblock version. I want to suggest adding the enable/disable the noteblock songs by going to the /prefs through GUI. They can also mute the noteblock sounds through the Minecraft settings too.

I want to say that your idea looks brilliant, Glitz! I agree with the idea of what you have! +1

Posted Apr 18, 2019
    Glitz likes this.
  4. HUGE +1 to this idea. I also like to play Nano when I'm playing with friends. Nano is somewhere where players can play without having to focus too much and it is very relaxing. I think that added "tunes" would be super beneficial to making NANO a more zen place. Like stated before, these tunes could easily be muted through either /prefs or a command such as /togglemusic. I would love to see this added. Great idea!

Posted Apr 18, 2019
    Glitz likes this.
  5. This would be an amazing addition! I agree with @Glamourized that if this were to be implemented, there should be some sort of toggle. I also like your idea about having today's music being played with note blocks instead of the Minecraft records, as those could get old quick. To make it even more fun, they could call it "Mineplex Radio" or something fun like that! ;)

Posted Apr 18, 2019
    Acerna, Glitz and Jkaebub like this.
  6. I'd love to see this idea implemented! My only concerns would be that it could induce lag; if the developers found a way to circumvent that, and also added a way to toggle it, I'd be an even bigger supporter of this idea.

Keep up the great work; I can't wait to see your next idea!

Posted Apr 18, 2019
    Glitz likes this.
  7. I'd be down for this! I think NANO can get a little silent and it would be awkward. The developers don't need to worry about music for Musical Minecart, though. I love what @Glamourized and @Jadguar were saying about being able to toggle it and calling it "Mineplex Radio". +1

Posted Apr 18, 2019
    Glitz and Jadguar like this.
  8. Yes! I love this suggestion! I'll add it to the thread :) Having a toggle like that would improve the players experience a heck ton. Especially if they don't like the song.

I completely agree, Pham! NANO is such a mellow game and it would be even better with some noice music in the background! :D

Fabulous suggestion, I'll add it to the thread :)

Yeah I just feel like today's music would be a lot more interesting but would still be super cool seeing it be played through noteblocks. I love your idea for the name as well! I'll add it to the thread :D

Oof true I haven't quite thought of that, I'm sure something could be done to make sure it's as lagless as possible.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 18, 2019
    Glamourized and Jadguar like this.
  9. Many servers have plugins where the noteblocks playing don't actually have to be placed in the world and it will just play the sound to you, so it should be lagless in theory.

Posted Apr 19, 2019
    Glitz likes this.
  10. Yeah I totally agree. Music is such an underused concept for game development, but it's literally so important to creating an atmosphere. Some of the best games I've played have had stellar musical compositions.

I'll +1 with the added caveat that the music fits the scenario of the game. So, maybe for Red Light, Green Light, there's a fast paced song that has drops every now and then. For Copy Cat- a slower, more relaxed song.

Posted Apr 19, 2019
    Glitz likes this.
  11. I agree! I think that it would feel way nicer to play Nano Games with some background music. Would also be cool, as you mentioned, if players could submit their creations.

I also agree with @ClassN; the music should fit the actual game so that the same songs don't play randomly. The only problem I can see with implementing this is that it could take a very long time to work on, especially if the music is going to fit each game(because every game has different play times etc.).

Posted Apr 19, 2019
  12. I've been a strong fan of games having music since I saw a thread on the old Mineplex forums.

When I've suggested it before however, people always said there'd be lag. I disagree.

I think it could be pretty cool. Check out this guy's concept video! (This is from the thread on the old forums)

and there's another here as well.

This dude actually composes noteblock music for a pretty good server... And it works pretty great on that server.

Posted Apr 19, 2019
    Glitz and ClqssyOwl like this.
  13. I'm not saying I don't want to see Mineplex add it's own soundtracks-- I'd love to! However, my only concern arises from inherent lag-- and yes, there will be an added risk of lag. There always is whenever you cram more data into a stream or a connection, and noteblock music would be no exception.

Like I said before, however, if the addition of music could be constructed in a lightweight add-on to existing Mineplex minigames and a toggle was implemented, I'd really love to see the examples provided in your response implemented. They really did add an extra sense of excitement and encompassment, for lack of a better term, to the gameplay. Thanks for sharing these examples with us!

Posted Apr 19, 2019
    Glitz likes this.
  14. I think that you did a great job of finding videos which show what this could look (or sound) like in-game. I love it! Everyone seems to fear the lag which is totally possible. Like @ClqssyOwl said, the more data that is crammed into a connection, the more strain on it. However, I think that NANO is the perfect place to implement this to see the kind of impact it causes, and if it's a positive addition for players overall. Like mentioned before, the music should be totally togglable which would benefit the players with slower connections because they could opt out of hearing the music.

Posted Apr 19, 2019
  15. This would be perfect when I'm too lazy to open spotify. Big +1

Posted Apr 19, 2019
    Acerna and Glitz like this.
  16. I agree. +1

Posted Apr 19, 2019
    Glitz likes this.