• 367 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 3781 Players Online
  • 3414 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Add a timer-based element to SA

Discussion in 'Sneaky Assassins' started by mab8400, Mar 1, 2021.

1. This may already be in a document but since I don't know that definitively or have access to it, I am just making it here anyways

This is what seems to be the only pvp game on the entire server that does not have some type of timer or a means of forcing the game to end, which leads to incessant "game stalling" in which case technically is allowed in this game because it can be bypassed simply by running around the map infinitely; hitting all NPCs before killing the last player (even when master assassin and already have the achievement), or just simply the last two players not killing each other. The reason I suspect this is because of the fact that killing NPCs and extending gameplay time both give exp. I would assume the recent change that makes exp reliant on time played caused a lot more people to resort to stalling games (server-wide) where in this game, you can't get banned for game stalling unless you and someone else are standing directly next to each other and don't attack. Theoretically, you could indeed get a game where you can indefinitely play the game with a friend where both of the players can run around the map and never end the game. I've seen several games where there are literally 0 NPCs left because every single one despawned or was killed by a player and the game was still going. Not sure which variable could be added- maybe a border shrinks (very fast) when a player gets master assassin, etc. Since i've observed this over a dozen times (only from my view as well) there is a need to make sure games can end consistently. This doesn't mean to shorten the game per say, but rather to add a feature to make sure the game DOES end.

Posted Mar 1, 2021,
    Last edited Mar 1, 2021
    Paladise likes this.
  2. -

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Mar 1, 2021
    Paladise likes this.
  3. I support this idea. I have felt this exact way about Frenzy, and I don't understand why the timer was removed for that game either, so I would like to mention adding that back as well since removing it no longer makes it a Nano Game due to how long it lasts. I understand your sentiment on this gamemode as well, the game should not have to take this long and I have also seen instances where players "stall" but not sufficiently enough to warrant a ban. Adding a timer that perhaps begins a certain time after the game has started (let's say 10 minutes, that can be adjusted) would be preferable, as that would prevent the game for running on for too long. Sneaky Assassins should not take too long in my opinion anyway, and in my experience if played right the game usually goes by quickly enough that adding a timer would not hinder gameplay in any way, and address this issue.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Posted Mar 2, 2021
    mab8400 likes this.
  4. For now, we've gone with increasing the rate of villager despawn as more players die (1.5x rate at 6 players left, 2x rate at 3 players left, numbers not set in stone) because an artificial world border feels like such a lazy design choice.

We also want to add back vertical player head movement, which will make it easier for players to find one another and so should therefore help to get the game to the point where villagers start despawning faster.

An idea we had but ultimately didn't go with was to decrease the intervals between player reveal as the game goes on, which I suppose would lessen the benefit of master assassin slightly but it's definitely still an option up for debate.

Posted Mar 2, 2021
    mab8400 likes this.
  5. These are all pretty good additions from my view; since they incorporate making it easier to find players. The only problem is that even if you can see a player, you are still allowed to purposely not chase them; you can also hide in spots/shift behind walls in order to prevent people from seeing you- which in turn makes games far longer (and pretty much never ending unless someone wants to quit or finally win the game after 10-20 minutes. I wouldn't want to add a weird rule for this game; it would be better to add some variable that forces players to fight at the end (or close to the end). A player can get master assassin; run away from the other player, and still be able to dodge them infinitely because they can track where they are coming from with the compass. Obviously, this doesn't happen every game but it actually has happened so many times that I thought it would be worth making a post on.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Mar 2, 2021