• 2857 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 13820 Players Online
  • 10963 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

A Question About Squid's Ink Shotgun

Discussion in 'Super Smash Mobs' started by tbearawsomeman, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Dear readers,
    If you are taking time to read this, I thanks you, but let's get on into the main point of this thread.
    I was looking back at the SSM information page and found something that caught my eye. It said that Ink Shotgun could inflict blindness, and my question is, why was that ability removed? Do you have to hit all of your pellets to inflict blindness? or was the ability just too overpowered?

It would be helpful if someone could answer this.

Thanks!

-tbearawsomeman

Posted Nov 17, 2018
  2. Heya,

you are correct, Squid's Ink Shotgun no longer inflicts blindness; in fact, the effect was removed over 3 years ago (back on October 31, 2015) as a part of a balance patch.

Before said date, its moveset was limited to the sword and the axe ability. I'd argue that the "new" Fish Flurry was added in an attempt to rework the kit. To keep the kit balanced, the blindness feature was most likely removed, allowing them to add the third shovel move.

As for your concern on the respective Wiki article, that's a big yikes. I'd love to correct every mistake you guys find, but I simply don't have the time to monitor 300+ pages all at once. That's why we're a public community project – if you spot any form of incorrect information, feel free to edit the article and improve the quality of the page for every future reader. You can find more information about us here if you're interested: https://www.mineplex.com/threads/mineplex-wiki-guide.7390/

Hope I could answer your question! :)

Posted Nov 17, 2018
  3. Dear Mining Creeper,
    Thank you for answering my question, but was Fish Flurry added when Ink Shotgun could still give blindness? The reason I ask this is because Fish Flurry and Blindness was still in the same post, so I feel like Blindness wasn't intended to be removed.

Honestly I feel squid needs a new ability just so that it isn't as easily countered. If you are interested you can check out my thread about squids new ability.

Thanks for reading!

-tbearawsomeman

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 17, 2018
  4. Blindness was removed when Fish Flurry was added, both changes were done in one patch.
    Here's the full changelog for Sky Squid for reference –

January 25, 2018 (Rework, leaning towards a buff)

Super Squid

Fixed an issue where 1.9+ players were able to melee while using Super Squid

Ink Shotgun

Increased damage from 1.5 to 1.725

Fish Flurry

Reduced cooldown from 24 to 16 seconds
    Reduced damage from 2.6 to 2
    Reduced warmup time from 2 to 1 second
    Reduced duration from 6 to 4 seconds

May 18, 2017 (Rework, leaning towards a buff)

Ink Shotgun

Decreased spread
    Decreased damage from 2 to 1.5

Fish Flurry

Reduced particles to resolve lag issues

October 27, 2016 (Buff)

Ink Shotgun

Decreased cooldown from 14 to 12 seconds

Fish Flurry

Removed knockback

September 8, 2016 (Fix)

General

Fixed squid flying off into the distance in SSM

January 8, 2016 (Nerf)

Ink Shotgun

Damage reduced from 3 to 2

October 31, 2015 (Rework)

General

Super Squid visuals improved

Ink Shotgun

Increased pellet count from 7 to 8
    No longer deals blindness
    Pellet trails are visible from further away

Fish Flurry

New ability

Storm Squid

Reduced lightning damage from 20 to 16

January 29, 2015 (Buff)

Super Squid

Increased duration from 0.8s to 1s

Ink Shotgun

One pellet will always be perfectly accurate
    Increased pellets from 6 to 7
    Increased pellet damage from 2.5 to 3 per pellet
    Decreased pellet spread by 25%
    Cooldown decreased from 6s to 5s

October 30, 2014 (Buff)

General

Damage: 5 → 6

Ink Shotgun

Increased velocity from 1 to 1.2
    Increased pellet count from 5 to 6
    Increased knockback multiplier from 2x to 3x

January 17, 2014 (Nerf)

Super Squid

Reduced duration from 1 to 0.8 seconds

Honestly, Squid's playstyle is too defensive for me. Besides spamming the shotgun at close range, you have no options to engage in close combat other than meleeing your opponents. Fish Flurry can be easily escaped from when fighting a squid, and its long cooldown weakens the kit's efficiency even more. I'll take a look at your suggestion later! :happyt3:

Posted Nov 18, 2018
  5. SSM used to give you blindness briefly when you died. They removed blindness from the shotgun because many people got confused whether or not if they died. This isn't a problem any more because you no longer get blindness when you die. So I'm all for adding blindness back to it. But fish flurry is used mostly for positioning and stopping camping so I think it's good utility for squid. Also, you can place it behind someone and ink shotgun them into it.

Posted Nov 18, 2018
    Jam and Cabob like this.
  6. Honestly, most campers can avoid Fish Flurry if they can listen for it. Having Ink Shotgun blind people was quite useful and could deal with many annoying classes(such as chicken)

-tbearawsomeman

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 18, 2018