• 2237 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 10675 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion A fairer reward system in arcade games like Super Paintball

Discussion in 'Game Alterations' started by mos, Mar 19, 2019.

1. A common scenario I observe in Super Paintball is that players on the winning team who have little to no kills/damage dealt are rewarded more than players on the losing team who have more kills/damage dealt (i.e. players on the winning team get more gems/shards/XP compared to players on the losing team regardless of their in-game performance). The number of kills a player gets doesn't really affect how much they are rewarded.

To me, I don't see how it's fair when a player who performs better in a certain game should be rewarded less than a player who performs worse. I know that Super Paintball is a team game where victory is given to the best-performing team, but credit should be given when it's due. Oftentimes it's a player or two who does a lot of work for their team, but their contribution is overshadowed by the fact that their team got overwhelmed and lost in the first place. The problem is that the current reward system basically assumes that everyone on the winning team is a good player and everyone on the losing team is a bad player, and we can all agree that it is not the case.

I believe that a system which rewards players based on their in-game performance, not the team they're on, would encourage players to do their best in Super Paintball and to not just slack and rely on stronger players to win. It will let players feel that the effort they put in really counts, allowing for fairer, less predictable, and entertaining games.

What do you guys think?

Posted Mar 19, 2019,
    Last edited Mar 19, 2019
    SpitefulNick and Glitz like this.
  2. I think it depends on the team effort that is put in, for example, one player gets 12 kills and another gets 3 kills, they will get very similar exp and rewards while the losing team does not get as much because the lost. Whenever it comes to me playing cake wars, I can get a lot of kills, however, if my team loses, I do not get that good of a reward. But if my team wins, my whole team gets around the same reward as I do. I mainly think that this is because its a "team effort" but I can see where you are coming from. I do think that there is an imbalance in rewards considering that some players can just sit afk and pretty much get good rewards.

Posted Mar 19, 2019
  3. I definitely agree with this no doubt. The amount of work you do (aka kills/revives) should be the main source of xp/gems/shards. Not whether you win or lose. This is especially important in Paintball because your team could quite literally carry you to victory and you'd be awarded way more if your team won, but you contributed absolutely nothing.

But yeah, I 100% agree with you! The main source of everyone's rewards should come from how well you do rather than whether or not you won. +1 from me

Posted Mar 19, 2019
  4. I concur

Posted Mar 19, 2019
  5. I have noticed this pattern too not just in arcade games, but several other team-based games as well. I do agree that the effort put in should be the biggest factor in deciding the amount of experience, gems, and coins one will receive. I still think the fact that you won or lost should play a role, but not necessarily as important as it is now.

Posted Mar 20, 2019
  6. Hey,
    I agree with you on this. People can just camp and is not entirely fair on hard-working players on the losing team. I think that the losing team players that worked hard for their team deserve praise on the podium. I suggest adding a third and second most kills leader board on the podium. then again, this could affect the podium selects by players. So it is a fair debate for now.
    Thanks,
    SmokingIsBad4U

Posted Mar 20, 2019
  7. Your rationale is completely reasonable and in all honesty, I agree completely. There should be a lot more emphasis placed on the players in the game who are contributing and causing their respective team to win. Additionally, if you put up a strong fight on the losing team, that should be rewarded accurately as well.
    Changing this to make things fairer shouldn't be extremely difficult, the gem values for kills, revivals, and assists and slightly lower the value winning gives.

One thing I do worry about though is the applicability of this idea universally. When it comes to paintball, the simplicity of the game allows for your effort towards winning to be tracked quite easily. As long as you are hurting players you will get kill assists or even full kills, and if you revive player you will receive rewards. In many other team games, effort can't be tracked like this, so I want to caution changing this idea universally.
    For instance, in Cake Wars, someone who stays at the base reinforcing the cake's protection, gathering resources, and purchasing upgrades won't get any kills or cake bites but was an important part of the team's betterment.

This thread was ultimately about paintball, though, and in that realm, I fully support your idea.
    Thanks for writing this thread. :)

Posted Mar 25, 2019
    SpitefulNick likes this.