• 1303 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 1956 Players Online
  • 653 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

A Different Way to View Mineplex

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by saltyfishhy, Oct 27, 2019.

1. I very much agree with you. You make a very good point about the outlook we need to have on the server to make a positive change. I’m not
    saying we need to disregard the decline, I just want people to view the situation a bit more positively so that we don’t always focus on the bad aspects of the server.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 29, 2019
    qjt likes this.
  2. Hey!

I completely agree with this!

Have a good day!

Posted Oct 29, 2019
    qjt and saltyfishhy like this.
  3. Hey!
    I appreciate you making this thread and bringing light to the situation that Mineplex isn't just "dead".

Posted Oct 29, 2019
    saltyfishhy likes this.
  4. I'm sure your optimism is well-intentioned, and your willingness to look at the situation differently endearing, but I can't help but feel the contents of this thread reflect a "not being able to see the forest for the trees" mentality. In other words, I feel you're focused on the friendliness of the community too much and are unfortunately disregarding the larger picture.

To start off, I don't believe Mineplex is dying, nor do I believe it's dead. I think both of these terms are frequently used but seldom understood within the context. Mineplex is not losing players at a considerable rate anymore- it's staying, like you said, in the 1,000 to 2,000 range for Java; that means the server is not dying in the short term*. And for a server to be "dead" would imply zero players at all, which obviously is not the case. Mineplex is not dead. Like everyone else, I acknowledge the player drop, though. I just felt the need to point this out because the criticism of Mineplex dying/being dead is common, and it is relevant to the discussion in my opinion.

*Long-term is a different argument. It can be said that everything is dying in the long-term, including and perhaps especially Mineplex.

With that out of the way, I'd like to discuss what I think are the predominant causes of the player drop since you touched on them in your first big paragraph, saying...

One mistake I think you make here is that you assign the cause to be Mineplex not adding games, when, at least in my opinion, the things you mention later are bigger causes. Additionally, I think there's some things to consider here that weren't stated (due to no fault of your own- they're just not included in the point of your thread).

1. Player trends and "pandering". Everyone knows Mineplex caters to children and strives to create a kid-safe environment, often to extremes. The thing with this, though, is that kids are most susceptible to trends; they move on from things quickly. Sure, Minecraft was the trend for years on end, resulting in the success of Mineplex for those years. But what happened when the kids grew up, or when bigger, more interesting pastimes took hold? They left. Older players moved to servers they felt accommodated their age group better.

2. The hacking epidemic. This one you did mention. Hacking has always been an issue for all servers, but Mineplex has been distinct in the way it's dealt with it. The Mineplex Anti-Cheat (MAC) was notoriously bad, so it was replaced by GWEN. GWEN was okay around its beginning, but it never really reached the prominence that was indicated by all the "work in progress" posts made around the time. Now, it's just slightly better than MAC in my opinion, and many clients can bypass easily. But needless to say, players don't want to play on a server where hacking is a big issue. These players leave.

3. Last one I'll touch on here is toxicity because I feel that although its influence is not really comparable to younger player trends and hacking, it's still significant in Mineplex's public image and likely led to at least some players leaving, if not a lot. Enjin was toxic. Players in-game were toxic. Pretty simple stuff here, but people generally either want to join that crowd or get away from it. And people got away from it by leaving the community.

So what's the point in bringing up causes? Well, context is important to understand. I'm not saying the three causes I've explained are the biggest or most correct ones, but I'd like to think they have a basis in reality. What I don't think has a basis in reality is assigning your own biases to the server and using them to determine what caused the downfall. For instance, is it really reasonable to say changing the lobby made people leave? Upwards of 40,000 people left because of an aesthetic change? Of course not, but yet many people have made threads with this hot take in the past. I'm speaking to the broader community here of course, not you, OP. But yeah- understand the context better, and you can see the bigger picture better.

Anywho, another thing I'll talk about is what you've described as the "point of Mineplex all together". Without going into too much detail here, due to it just being unnecessary, I feel to state the point of Mineplex to be anything other than making money/being a successful business is erroneous. Having a productive, welcoming community is a plus, but if this was what the owners and leaders wanted before all else, don't you think they would be more active in the community? More willing to prioritize community-inspired updates? Like I said, Minecraft was profitable back in the day; you could make some money by having big YouTubers and tens of thousands of players online, with many buying ranks, chests, and other merchandise. I hate to be cynical, but this is, in my opinion, what the point of MP was: making money. There's nothing wrong with that.

If the point of Mineplex for you is the community, then by all means, that is okay. I will agree and say the community is just about the only thing keeping me here, and I know others are in the same boat. Tournaments, streams, events, forum threads, Discord interactions, parties... the list goes on and on, and they're all great. But once again, is this feeling of belonging and community what Mineplex was made for? Nah.

Finalllllyyy, I'll touch on not seeing the forest for the trees. The big picture here is that even if Mineplex's community is the best, which is arguable as I'm sure many would agree, that is simply one positive aspect among a plethora of negative ones. Poor anti-cheat and hackers gone wild. Lack of content updates. Prevalence of bugs, many of which have existed for a while, some... years. Shortage of developmental resources. Unnecessary EULA restraints on making money. When updates do roll around for games, they're often lackluster and do little to address underlying issues. Cosmetics are largely undesirable, and the cosmetic "system" is artificially padded by lower-quality cosmetics so as to prevent players from getting good stuff frequently. Account security issues keep alt sellers in business. The filter has sucked for years. Leaders/owners still do not communicate well with the community. European players experience bad ping since the deletion of the EU server. FPS and server lag are common. Test servers make it difficult for QA and GI to accurately test things. Speaking of Game Insights, they're bottlenecked with nothing to do. There hasn't been interesting new content in a long time, unless you count buggy, unbalanced temporary games. The forums are filled to the brim with post-boosters. There is very little social aspect to the forums despite feedback for more. Even though the stats transfer lasted for what seems like forever, we still do not have leaderboards for many games. Forums feedback in general is a mess. The MP Discord has been waiting for a new bot for months, so the rules among other things can be fixed. There is a shortage of staff in relation to the player base. Hacker reports in /report might as well be thrown out as soon as they're sent in, and the StaffRequest community is ripe with mini-modding.

...need I go on?

The point here isn't to slam Mineplex with every mistake it's ever made. Many of those aren't even Mineplex's fault. But when people make threads asking to fix GWEN, or threads asking for/suggesting new games, can we really blame them? They don't make me sad. They just indicate to me that MP still has a lot of work to do. And if I'm to give my honest opinion, there is more wrong with Mineplex than not. It's difficult for me to look at one potentially positive aspect- the community- and ignore everything else that is wrong; that's just cherry-picking, and I see it as intellectually dishonest.

Once again, I don't blame you for wanting to see some positivity in a sea of negativity. But I do believe that approach is misguided.

Posted Oct 29, 2019,
    Last edited Oct 29, 2019
  5. That is simply a not true for most of us, I literally can't play half the games on the server 80% of the time because it's dead. You must be playing cake wars or Nano exclusively; which are the only games that seem to have a consistent player count. When the player count rises during the night time(or whatever time it is for people); I just get bhopped, closeted, and exploited on. Simple as that. Optimism is great, but the truth is undeniable.
    --- Post updated ---
    "Dead" is an exaggeration we all are using to indicate Mineplex's loss of player base, no need to act like it is not dead. Half the players online are bots, afkers, or bhoppers, so it really is dead.

Posted Oct 29, 2019
    qjt and saltyfishhy like this.
  6. Hello!

I love this thread, you are completely correct in every statement you've made here and I completely congratulate you for putting such effort into this. You are right in terms of the way Mineplex has or should be viewed as a netwowrk; you stated that "Mineplex has community members, that every single waking day, log on to the server are participate in events, tournaments, forum discussion, games, MPS's'". This is what many community and staff members do everyday to help Mineplex become a place to help make peoples lives better and to have a place to go when you're feeling down or you just feel like talking to somebody.

Thanks for making this thread!

Regards,
    BlackConfig.

Posted Oct 30, 2019
    qjt likes this.

7. Thanks for the kind words of support! It’s nice to have people appreciative of my effort :)

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 30, 2019
    Cardyceps, qjt and BlackConfig like this.
  8. Hey!
    I've came across this issue a lot and completely see where you are coming at.
    --- Post updated ---
    Hey!
    I would also like to applaud you for your outstanding writing skills.
    --- Post updated ---
    I couldn't of said it better myself!
    --- Post updated ---
    I completely agree with it too.

Posted Oct 30, 2019
    saltyfishhy likes this.
  9. damn mineplex grow

Posted Nov 16, 2019
    saltyfishhy likes this.
  10. Finally someone puts work into their post about this topic, instead of plain, “mineplex is dying” or “fix Gwen”.
    --- Post updated ---
    Maybe I can figure out something about Gwen. Does anyone have a basic and/or not basic explanation of how it works?

Posted Nov 16, 2019
    saltyfishhy likes this.
  11. yeah sure! I can help you a bit.

Explaining it would be a little off topic, so would you like me to DM you on XenForo or Discord?

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 16, 2019
  12. I think that Mineplex team is trying to do its best to make it live longer. I appreciate your work guys, but I think that its unfair to add events to Java only. I mean you cannot just forget about Bedrock. Bedrock and pocket edition is very important, in fact the mobile gaming % is higher than PC or Xbox or PS4. I am sure that bug fixers and moderators try to fix duping and blank skins problems, but sometime I think that once upon a time Mineplex will just die, it makes me sad. I know that Mineplex will be alive for at least 3 or 4, or even more, but I know that this server needs more than just hard work, it needs non-human work and I am sure that you have these robots who waste their day-to-day to figure out how to fix the problems. I am just afraid that Mineplex might end the same way as Crystalix and some other servers. I am bit of a programmer myself and I know how HARD it is. I just want to say thanks to the developers and to tell them to keep working.I just want one thing-no bugs on Mineplex and I will continue to play on Mineplex even if my account on this site will be blocked/banned.
    --- Post updated ---
    By the way, I am sorry for grammar mistakes

Posted Nov 16, 2019
    saltyfishhy likes this.
  13. The way I see it, Mineplex does have one way out of the hole they dug themselves. If it isn't already obvious, pvp games are and have been at the center of what has made many servers gain popularity over the years. Taking a look at cake wars player base even shows this works so I think it's clear that to make another popular game, you'l need to follow that trend. Now I do not want blatant copies of popular gamemodes nor do I think that would be good for business since you'd want to make something that feels unique and exclusive to Mineplex. The most efficient and cheapest way to do this, would be to take assets from Mineplex's pre-existing minigames and crafting together a pvp game that manages to make something both fun, familiar, unique, and competitive.On top of that, you'll also need to add in essentially, Mineplex's first advanced progression system full of many goals and objectives to add to the replayability value of that minigame. With all that being said and done, you should be able to use the popularity this minigame could potentially bring to fix many of Mineplex's issues later on. Hacking has always been an issue on Mineplex, but the server did make it pretty far without doing much to fix that and with the player base staying fairly consistent as of right now with all the servers problems, you should be able to put aside those issues till the the popularity of said minigame can bring in more resources to address them.

Posted Nov 16, 2019
    saltyfishhy, AceSJus and Cardyceps like this.
  14. Maybe I can figure out something about Gwen. Does anyone have a basic and/or not basic explanation of how it works?
    Sure, dm me on discord (Alexthom#5628)

Posted Nov 16, 2019
  15. I fully agree with your repsonse. When brainstorming a solution to reach the status Mineplex once had during its heyday, the steps you've mentioned are exactly what I was picturing. There are several areas of Mineplex that can be improved to lead the server amassing thousands of more players, but I feel that the most impactful start would be creating a brand new and highly enjoyable game. Other servers have demonstrated that a fun, action-packed PvP game resulted in it blowing up in popularity and a new concept that our developers may create could be the turning point for our server. I'd also like to mention that one of the admins stated in a public Mineplex Discord a few weeks back that the developer team is working on a new game, although it is unknown whether it will be PvP-based, casual, or anything else.

Once the new game explodes in popularity, then it will likely result in the server receiving more development resources to continue to improve the server, particularly its weakest areas such as the anti-cheat and bugs. There would also be more updates being pushed out to continue growing the player base. However, it's important to note that the most difficult part of this plan is to create a brand new and very entertaining game idea to reel in thousands of players.

Posted Nov 16, 2019
    Infernocus and saltyfishhy like this.
  16. How long does it take you to program something or to fix a bug? I love mineplex Bedrock and I would play it all day if I could, but there’s just so many issues and it seems to be taking up so much time. You’re told the problem will be fixed as soon as possible, and then you wake up 4 months later and nothings changed. They say they’re putting in work to fix Bedrock and I want to believe that it’s true, but at times like this when you see no fixes or new things, it gets tough to always have Mineplex’s side of things. The only thing I’ve noticed that they’ve added since the beginning of this year when I started playing again, are the Halloween pets. They’ve also fixed a crashing glitch that came with the 1.13 update, but that patch only made mineplex playable not necessarily enjoyable.

Posted Nov 17, 2019
  17. I like what Snicker3378 said. He/she, I will be calling her she since she has Marceline on her avatar. I understand that Mineplex programmers do their best, but we as people cannot wait forever even if the developers try to fix everything . We want fixes and with each day we become angrier and more tired and one day a thought will appear in our heads "Nah, Mineplex still has these bugs unfixed. I think that there are many good substitutes like Hive or Live boat network, yes I guess I will change Mineplex on some of these servers ".
    Look guys, every day I see new threats like "My kits ideas" or "Glitches that I found", this usually makes us happier and we really start thinking that the Mineplex team will make a new update or will really fix certain bugs, but that is how I see the picture: there Is AN ACTIVE PART OF DEVELOPERS and NOT ACTIVE PART OF DEVELOPERS and some of them are not active because of serious reasons and a REALLY SMALL amount of developers who do not care about the Mineplex. That might be the reason why duping has returned to such games as: Sky wars, Cake wars, Survival Mode and maybe Survival Games. If the programmers had studied the Summer duping problem, we wouldn't need to face it again, well probably.
    Any way I wish everyone a good day or night ( depends from where they live) and God bless Ameri... sorry I wanted to say God bless Mineplex.

[​IMG]
    --- Post updated ---
    By the way I also like Adventure Time. Have you seen the 11th season, it is a comics series and it has three episodes that you can find in the internet.

Posted Nov 18, 2019
  18. Dude be my friend. :,)

Jake is the cutest dog I’ve ever laid my eyes on, idc what anyone else has to say. I haven’t seen the 11th season yet schools been absolutely chaotic, but I really need to. Also yes, “she” is right. Lmao

Posted Nov 18, 2019
    FluteVegetables likes this.
  19. No this is completely wrong. The server has been (and still is) declining in player count for years. The player base is becoming more and more toxic overtime and if this is the most "loving, kind, and accepting" community you've been apart of then that's just sad. Your signature says it all bro - "aspiring trainee"...

Posted Nov 18, 2019
    DaGourmand likes this.
  20. I have to respectfully disagree. If you're suggesting Mineplex is here to provide you with a better life, think again. It helps if you'd acknowledge the server as a business, it only sounds true to know that the server needs to be financially sustained. And the reality is if we assume more players leave then the future is not guaranteed. Genuine criticism and feedback are so frequently blatantly disregarded - definitely seems like a community... Yeah, that's not something to be positive about, maybe being realistic about the issue is more helpful than living in a bubble.

Posted Nov 20, 2019
    Cardyceps, DaGourmand and saltyfishhy like this.