• 930 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 3025 Players Online
  • 2095 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

4 Things From The Previous SG That Need To Come Back

Discussion in 'Survival Games' started by JMPhase, May 30, 2019.

1. There are four things from the previous version of SG that I think should make a comeback/be changed back. Overall I think it would make the game a lot better.

The Border
    The Border used to move in at a slower, consistent pace, this gave you more time to explore the map, look for chests, crafting tables or enchanting tables. Right now the border speeds up after every death. Areas that used to be accessible for a long time into the game are now completely blocked off after only a few mins into a game. The border also no longer bounces you inwards, which makes being rodded/shot/axed into it more annoying since you will get stuck rather than bouncing forward like you used to. It's also possible when outside the border to glitch or even get kicked.

Supply Drops
    Supply drops had 3 set spawning locations, rather than being randomly placed. When a supply drop came down a lot of people knew where to go, this made some of the most intense and exciting moments of SG. Nowadays, in my experience at least, I find that few people even go for the supply drop unless it's close to spawn, quite often I find myself to be the only one going for it. Not to mention that it can occasionally spawn on top of a tree or building and become unreachable, which is very frustrating and annoying.

Chest Refill
    Chest refills would happen after 7 minutes. This allowed you to get some extra gear/items before deathmatch (if the game lasted that long), such as sticks/ingots/rods/armour etc.

Deathmatch
    Finally there was also Deathmatch, after there were only 4 players left anyone could type /dm, which after 1 minute would teleport everyone to mid in an enclosed area. This was a great way for games to end quickly even with the border moving in slowly. In Deathmatch the chests would also be refilled, allowing anyone who didn't have good armour a chance to loot unchecked and stand a chance against the other players. Right now if the border shrinks in and you have bad gear, you're pretty much stuck with it since the chests don't refill.

So those are my ideas of what should be brought back/changed in SG from the previous version. Thanks for reading.

EDIT:
    Erm.... probably should have worded thread better. Since you guys seem to be misunderstanding it.

Supply Drop and the Border are still in SG, I'm just saying the previous version of them should come back (from 2015-2017. Only Deathmatch and Chest refill are straight up gone.

Posted May 30, 2019,
    Last edited May 30, 2019
    Jkaebub, Jango_55, paceyq and 2 others like this.
  2. Heyo!

I definetly agree with you. I miss all of these and it's sad to see them removed as it made SG so much fun. I hope they at least add Supply Drops back as they're extremely useful.

Posted May 30, 2019
    JMPhase likes this.
  3. I definitely agree! These aspects of Survival Games made the game much more enjoyable and I wish they came back. I also think that the chest refill should include better items than they did before, to make the death match longer, more intense, and more enjoyable.

Posted May 30, 2019
    JMPhase likes this.
  4. I definitely agree with everything stated, all these lost aspects made the game less enjoyable and I hope to see them all come back for a more enticing experience.

Posted May 30, 2019
    Jango_55 and JMPhase like this.
  5. Erm.... probably should have worded thread better. Since you guys seem to be misunderstanding it.

Supply Drop and the Border are still in SG, I'm just saying the previous version of them should come back (from 2015-2017. Only Deathmatch and Chest refill are straight up gone.

Ty for support/positive responses nonetheless.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted May 30, 2019
    PapiKirito likes this.
  6. While I think I can survive with how the SG mechanics currently are, I think I would prefer some of the old mechanics over the new one. I've expressed before on a different thread that I wasn't too fond of the new border as it moved in too fast for my liking, and although I've kinda gotten used to it I'm not sure if I've completely warmed to it. How the current border works is an interesting mechanic, but I think the old border allowed for more strategy to be put into the mix for players who weren't the dominant force in that particular game. It should be noted that these extra strategical opportunities were helped by the chest refill, and had a counter in the form of the /dm command, so if you were to change the border back to how it was these two things would need to be readded as well. The only thing I don't think I would revert is the Supply Drops, as though the preset positions (and there were 4 of those, not 3) were notable enough that people generally knew where they were, the randomised position adds that extra element of strategy of how to deal with an area you may not necessarily be familiar with. I do agree that something needs to be done about unreachable drops, though, it's simply something that shouldn't happen.

Ultimately, I think most of these things aren't too game-changing, and are more a matter of personal opinion more than anything else. Not saying that this invalidates any points brought up on this, it's just something that may need to be kept in mind.

Posted May 30, 2019
  7. I like the way the border is right now. Unlike in other games (any variants of forcing players inwards towards the center), you may not use the compass as freely so it is harder to track where players are. After every death, the likely hood of coming across players are even less probable, so I like how the border speeds up enclosing then. Being an intermediate game, SG should take several minutes at max.

I do agree with you on how the border should bounce you back when you come in contact. Once the border starts closing, you are past the halfway mark. You have put in the efforts to survive for this long and I can imagine just how frustrating it is when you are getting kicked and it is not your fault. Another solution would be to obviously, fix the bugs causing this.

Going back to parts of my response to your border changes, I support this. I will say this again, as an intermediate game, SG should be at max several minutes long and undoing the supply drop changes done most recently would speed up game play. I want the supply drops to having just 3 possible locations to drop as players know where to go and it is more fun PvPing than just looking in chests that do not offer anything useful.

I have not kept track of at what point chest refills happen so I cannot come up with an informed analysis to your suggestion.

I do not have much else to say other than that I agree. If players were strategic enough, they would go for the middle chests to snatch gear upgrades that gives them a better chance of winning because now it is kind of based on luck. If the chests outside of spawn do not contain high-tiered gear, that is not really the player's fault. They were just unlucky because of the items randomly generated inside the chests.

+0.5

Report a User | Report a Bug | Apply For Java Trainee | Rules| My Profile

Posted May 30, 2019
    Jkaebub likes this.
  8. Herro!

Let me start off with saying I agree to every point made. SG doesn't feel right to me right now because of these changes.

The border
    While I do agree this wasn't a change that long time SG fans liked, I feel as if it was changed to make games shorter. Games of SG used to go up to 13-15m, and bow they go closer to 7m each time. This makes people have to wait less in between games, and with the lower player base now I can see why.

Supply Drops
    I hate the new system. As someone who memorized which coordinates were which places, I don't like the new system. The old spots were well known, and there was 4 for every map to add variety. The only map that this was a good change for was Aztec because all the supply drops were in the same area (spawn) on that map. Though they could simply come up with new locations for them instead of changing the system.

Chest refill
    I don't really have any points to make here, except that it did often make games run longer. I still want to see its return though.

Deathmatch
    Probably the feature I miss the most. Deathmatch was amazing and I miss it a lot. Goes along with the border for why it was removed, but I think that its return would be great as long as they removed the border change.

Overall +1!

Posted May 30, 2019
  9. I most certainly have to agree with you, because I was barely on until 2017, also I miss when there was a Deathmatch near the end of the game.

Posted May 30, 2019
  10. I completely agree with you! All of these aspects made it the game we knew and loved. Deathmatch was awesome, and games would end in a timely manner. I couldn't agree more that it should be brought back along with the other changes.

Posted May 30, 2019
  11. Would just like to say that games were never 13-15 mins, if I'm remembering correctly deathmatch would countdown at 9 mins and start at 10 mins, and quite often someone would /dm before that.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted May 30, 2019
  12. The border, in my opinion, is alright regarding the speed. The old system made games last a lot longer which caused boredom. However, I do agree with your point talking about being able to go through the border. This doesn't make that much sense to me, as like you said, it's more annoying and doesn't add that much skill into the game.

I agree with this because the game shouldn't be "hunt the supply drop", which would add unnecessary luck into the game and causing it to be longer than what a good time for SG should be. Having three set locations would definitely add more skill into the game rather than chance.

I feel like this is for nostalgic purpose rather than practicality because it makes the game longer.

I agree with this, because I think it adds more skill into the game when determining when to do /dm. Honestly, I'm not sure exactly as to why it was removed, but I would like to see this added back into SG.

Overall, I agree with this. With some tweaking I think if your suggestions were added back into the game, it would make SG a lot more fun and exciting. +0.75

Posted May 30, 2019
  13. Hello!

I disagree with pretty much everything except the deathmatch and border. I always liked deathmatch, it always made survival games a lot faster than usual. I do like the randomized supply drops in order to prevent camping at the specific. The border moves way too fast in my opinion, and like you said, it should be slowed. +0.70 from me.

Posted Jun 2, 2019
  14. I agree. I really don't like the glitch of being kicked for flying, and it'd be better off if we couldn't move past the border in the first place. I liked it as it was before when the border moved in slower, sometimes it moves way too fast and I honestly don't like it at all.

I like the way supply drops are at the moment in terms of random spawns, it adds a sort of twist and it's not as boring. For example, Aztec Islands had a generic supply drop area, and people would purposely stick around the middle when it was time. With the current drops, it adds a unique twist with unique drops which I love. According to some people, the situation of unreachable drops CAN be fixed, so once that's done, I'm fine with what we have here.

I don't know about the time, but I think Chest Refills would be interesting. Gives people who are undergeared a better chance which I like in a way.

I really liked Deathmatch, but I also like the current way SG ends up. In the middle of this, I'd say it's just up to the community and I'm fine either way with a DM.

Posted Jun 3, 2019
  15. I definitely agree!

Posted Jun 7, 2019
  16. Yep me too

Posted Jun 7, 2019
  17. I totally agree with you man. I loved a lot of these aspects of the game, especially going back to mid and getting loot from the respawn. These previous aspects really should come back to the game.

Posted Jun 7, 2019
  18. agreed!

Posted Jun 7, 2019
  19. Well, this thread has gotten loads of support, this bodes well!

Posted Jun 9, 2019
  20. Initially the four locations weren't at center.

Let's hope these are implemented again.

As far as this is concerned, I'd honestly like it if there was a specific DM Arena as opposed to the center of the map. Mostly due to center not always being suitable for a speedy or anger free DM (People hiding behind stuff to make it take "forever")

Posted Jun 11, 2019