• 485 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 4627 Players Online
  • 4142 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

2 updates per year idea

Discussion in 'Survival Games' started by Pillowbro, Mar 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello!

Almost 1 year since we had our last update, this means that we've had useless kits like Warlock and Assassin and broken kits like Axeman in SG Solo and Barbarian in SG Teams without receiving any changes the whole year. If we receive a new update now, and any kit is unbalanced, it will keep like that another year. This is very likely to happen, since we have to test how kit changes work practically in-game, but this does not happen before releasing an update.

What I've been thinking of, it's in a 2 updates per year schedule, where we have a big update in February/March and a small update in July/August.

Big Update:

Basically updates like we usually receive, where we have completely ability reworks, gameplay changes or even new kits or maps. And also small changes to numbers like damages, kb reductions, ranges or cooldowns.

Small Update:

This update will have the only purpose of nerfing/buffing those small changes mentioned above: Damages, ranges and cooldowns.

-----------------------------------------

Since making these small changes is not that hard, I see it very viable to have an update every 6 months approximately. I think this will help to keep the game as balanced as possible, without having a useless kit waiting for ages to receive a buff.

If you have something to comment, please feel free to give your opinion!

Posted Mar 2, 2021
    Pumpedpixel likes this.
  2. sg gets the most updates out of all the games except sw

Posted Mar 2, 2021
  3. While I think it would be good to have a game like SG receive updates, that isn't really how the development team works. They do not, and it would not make sense to, set certain months and time iterations for a game like SG to get updated. It gets updated as it needs updates. And yes, there are bug fixes that are needed and it would be lovely to get a content update, it doesn't necessarily mean that we will have new content every six to twelve months. It is better to update it when there is developer time available for it but if we set a schedule where SG has to get updated every six months irregardless, we will end up not having time for new games and the possibility of other features.

Posted Mar 2, 2021
    Fusafez, happily and Pillowbro like this.
  4. Ever heard of Cake Wars?

Posted Mar 2, 2021
  5. I get what you try to say. I didn't mean to say that SG is a priority, there are other gamemodes that may need an update more than SG does. That's why I talked about a small update, this means it won't have new content, just small balance changes. I don't think it takes that much time to change a number in the coding...

If 12 months is too short to make a "big update", then I wont have a problem to wait more time. To be honest, I think it's more important to have that "small update" just to fix something that went wrong.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Mar 2, 2021
    whalker and AaronIGN like this.
  6. We can all agree many games on the server need updating. You have Minestrike, Champions, and SSM that haven't been updated in years, then there's Survival Games and Skywars which had updates that weren't as good as they could've been.

Although I love Survival Games over every other game on the server, the hardcore category of games (Minestrike, Champions, SSM) are in dire need of updates.

Posted Mar 2, 2021
    Fusafez, whalker and Pillowbro like this.
  7. That is very true. Maybe 1 big update per year could be too much considering the hardcore games need updates more than SG. But I still think that it's not hard to make that "small update".

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Mar 2, 2021
  8. While putting on some sort of schedule seems like a logically good idea, Mineplex's development can be dodgy sometimes that that sort of thing can bring out pretty bad quality updates. If SG was given a quota for how many updates to receive a year, players would argue for the same treatment to be placed upon every single other game (Especially SSM which is so long overdue for its update).

Overall, I think it would cause more disappointment than anything else. I'm sure that Developers have some sort of work quota or whatnot, after all they are getting paid to do this. But I think they work project-to-project, whatever comes up, before doing anything else.

Big game updates are planned by GI before brought forward to the devs and there's a lot of work to go in them. One person can't just make a document and push it forward. It takes a lot of teamwork, testing, discussions, etc, with QA and QAT as well and since GI aren't placed into independent games anymore but rather categories (ie Classics, Arcade, etc), it would just be a lot of work which they probably would not be able to stick to (since players would request the same attention for every other game).

Posted Mar 2, 2021
    Pillowbro likes this.
  9. Why is Assassin useless? It is one of the best kits!

Posted Mar 5, 2021
  10. I'm not sure if that's serious or sarcasm lmao. If it's not, then no, Assassin is arguably the worst kit in SG, and it's even worse in tournaments. Actually, it can do something in teams of 4 tourneys, but it's pretty much useless in solos and duos since it does not have any 1v1 advantage.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Mar 5, 2021
  11. Ironically it doesn't get that many updates, and when it does it adds features nobody asked for like chicken portals or whatever

Posted Mar 6, 2021
  12. with the direction mineplex is going we would be lucky if we get half an update a year. :/

Posted Mar 7, 2021
  13. Personally while I love Sg and would love to see 2 potential updates yearly it's just unrealistic to ask for The Development team is in charge of updating every single game on Mineplex when they feel like it needs one or when GI has an update proposed. If we tried to hold them to a set schedule, for example where Sg needs to be updated 2 times a year and Skywars 2 times a year it would just overwhelm the development team and eventually we would start to be getting rushed and not thought through updates. I do know that the development team works hard to actually push updates, and while it does seem like some games get the bare minimum you also have to realize there are a lot of different games. Overall just putting development on a set schedule is not really a great idea in my opinion. Especially when a decent amount of things gets done by going through GI, QAT and then development.

Posted Mar 7, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.