• 0 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2579 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion 1v1s in ssm

Discussion in 'Game Alterations' started by Diemolis, Feb 10, 2020.

?

I generally agree with this post's content

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    68.4%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  1. Not everyone has a rank, and even if you do, you still need to find others that want to 1v1 SSM. Having a place for it as an official gamemode would help tremendously in starting matches instead of having to wait for a friend to log on and hope he wants to 1v1.

Posted Feb 12, 2020
    Mitchy likes this.
  2. Well it's not that hard to find someone with a rank who wants to play 1v1 SSM. Even so, you can always ask for it in the Channel "Call-for-arms" at discord. My point was that I don't think that Mineplex would use many resources on a server where it will only be 2 players max, and it's much better to do this on an MPS, because it only requires two players in order to 1v1 and it's not that difficult to find another player with a rank that can create an MPS and play 1v1 SSM. MPS is made for things just like this.

Posted Feb 13, 2020
  3. You wont have to worry about teamers either in my proposed gamemode.

Posted Feb 13, 2020
  4. I'm not sure what you're talking about regarding "call to arms", but as I see it your own logic fails you regarding this topic-
    On the one hand, you're saying it'll be a bad idea for mp to open a new gamemode with a max of 2 players, as that would be a waste of resources; additionally you claim that it's not an issue at all to do it in an MPS and is presumably just as effective as having 1v1s as their own gamemode.
    But wait, isn't using an MPS just for 2 players in order to have a 1v1 just as much of a waste? And according to you, it's a very effective method to do so, then people should be using it while wasting too much of MP's resources on small servers.

So basically, either one of these things must be true-
    1- MP can afford the waste as they're already handling it.
    2- MP private servers aren't as effective for having SSM 1v1s as you describe them to be.

Posted Feb 13, 2020
  5. No, because MPSs already exist. Implementing new gamemodes requires more servers. And if this new game only has 2 players, it's a waste.

But MPSs already exist, so although they may not be most effective use of resources in this case, they aren't adding new server costs, unlike the proposed gamemode.

Posted Feb 13, 2020
    Dan1el likes this.
  6. Hey!

This idea had been suggested before and it was denied. This is because the ideas team just found it because it is just not needed overall. SSM wasn’t made to be just a 1v1 based game, it was developed to be a brawl where you fight different people with different kits, having a 1v1 will get rid of these original SSM features.

Secondly, players can just have a 1v1 in an MPS, sure it’s only for Legends+ but, if you wanna have a 1v1 in SSM, what other choice do you have. On the topic of MPSs, you argue that MPSs are just as much as a waste of time as developing a new system and way to play a game. That just doesn’t make sense. MPSs already exist, and they have several different purposes and games. So even if MPSs didn’t exist and it was 1v1 SSM vs. MPS, MPSs would still be the better option. Luckily for us, they already exist! We wouldn’t need to develop anything new here, whereas you would need to develop a whole new way to play a game for 1v1 SSM, so how are they equal wastes of time?

~Nick

Posted Feb 13, 2020
    Dan1el likes this.
  7. @KerbalBoy answered your concern pretty well. MPSs already exist, and the reason why it's not a waste is that when you create an MPS and leave it for a while, it will get deleted. However, a regular server are open 24/7 which means it's much more expensive to host this.

Posted Feb 13, 2020
    FreakingNick likes this.
  8. My gamemode doesnt use 2 players it will be a rework of solo and the servers wont change. Maybe if enough people want normal solo we can add a voting system like the halloween havoc event.

Posted Feb 13, 2020
  9. I don't believe that your current process of thought within this idea is fitting for the demographic and state of our server. I feel as though the correct approach to this would be to keep player count in mind, and developer time in mind. In its current state, Mineplex cannot easily support a 1v1 mode given the lack of players, and thus giving a new mode that much development time might ultimately end in an underplayed game.

I've suggested and vouched for a ranked ladder 1v1 system for SSM before, but it's simply not a realistic outlook for the game - for now, I'd much rather see actual balance updates and kit reworks. Yes, there are many plus sides to this idea, but in reality, we currently do not have the means to make a viable iteration of a 1v1 mode.

Having said all that, I would like to give reasonable support in regards to why players might want a competitive ladder. The game itself is currently in a more casual state, players compete in an FFA mode where games can vary greatly based on who you match against - a 1v1 mode would be a more valid gauge of skill versus a given opponent, given the lack of disturbances from the 2 extra players in solo mode, though this can be mimicked via MPS. The true appeal comes in the actual ranking system itself: this gives us reason to play, and a clear goal to reach. AAA titles include ranked modes for this very reason. Players want a show of skill, they want a clear goal to work towards in order to not only stand out from others but to have a reason to stay - and quite frankly, I feel as though a ranked mode would help retain player counts and add a brand new feel to the game. In that sense, solo would act more as a practice game, though I feel that a 1v1 mode would still allow games to be found in the classic mode. In terms of ranked exclusivity (as most games require some sort of 'pass' or aspect of skill to be attained before allowing ranked play [i.e. Minimum levels in Overwatch, R6 & League]), we could implement a system where only certain levels can join (this further pushing the notion of incentive to play - giving players of low level a reason to grind) and also slightly decreases chance of hacking via alts within the mode.
    With all said, I'd like to reiterate that this is a very far-fetched idea. As aforementioned, this is realistically not a viable goal or game mode to create, given the state of the server. It's a good idea, and if we had more players I would have loved to see it, but as is right now, I don't think we need a 1v1 mode.

Posted Feb 13, 2020
    Eroil likes this.
  10. You can already do 1v1 in SSM - by playing in MPSs. In all honesty, the SSM community has dwindled down in numbers and presenting another gamemode will only divide the ssm community even more and may make 1v1v1v1s much harder to start.

Id love to see an official 1v1 mode, but I do not think, with the size of the ssm community considered, it wouldnt be the best time to have it. This isnt to say it wont happen in the future, but for now, it's a no for me

Posted Feb 13, 2020,
    Last edited Feb 13, 2020
  11. MPSs exist when you open them, just like with new minigame servers, and if you use them for a 1v1 it's still as much of a waste.
    Thinking about this again... Well I'm really not sure how minigame servers work on mp so I won't be sticking to this argument further, assumed they open more when there's a demand like I remember in the old system but it's hard to tell as someone looking outside in with no real experience in the topic. If mp minigame servers work like I assumed they do, which is open when there's a need for them (other servers have filled up) then there shouldn't be more of a waste according to Dan1el's logic.
    Oh, and if you meant they won't be able to handle/afford this amount of extra servers... Reminder that mp used to have roughly 30 times as many players so they do nowadays.

However, a regular server are open 24/7 which means it's much more expensive to host this.

Does it? With the old lobby system I remember more pubs opening up when others have filled up, not sure if the system still works that way after the change last year.

Yeah, the fact that looms over every kit, change or gamemode suggestion...
    Yeah, it's definitely not a realistic suggestion, and neither is really anything that is discussed on the forums. After all, the game hasn't been updated in over 2 years despite its many issues and numerous bugs.
    In the end, with these kinds of threads I feel their use is just having fun discussing the idea and throwing around possibilities for how it could be made.
    Realistic additions are far, far behind us as I see it, and it just boils down to well, just entertainment that we're still talking about these things here lol.

In all honesty, the SSM community has dwindled down in numbers

Hmmm, I wonder what could've possibly led to this?
    Is it perhaps the fact that the game hasn't been updated in 2+ years while still having many issues and unfixed bugs...?
    Nah, must be MC in general just dying.

(Also gotta love mod basically repeating the same thing that had been said by like 4 different people on this thread and receiving a billion likes for his insightful reply)

Posted Feb 13, 2020,
    Last edited Feb 13, 2020
    KerbalBoy and DaGourmand like this.
  12. For one, SSM is based on super smash bros which has 1v1 online. 1v1 is the also the most competitive game mode that requires more skill than a 4 player brawl full of cleans.

Posted Feb 13, 2020